You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Suarez staying regardless of CL

liverpoolsno9

Who could realistically afford him and his wages?

Real
Barca
PSG
Monaco
Chelsea
Bayern

We won't sell to chelsea again, so they're out. I can't see him wanting to go to Monaco for obvious reasons. PSG? Big stuff happening there, and Champions League contenders - but the French league? Nah. Bayern have got forwards coming out of their ears - and can they afford a £70m player? Not sure. No doubt Suarez would go there though - best team in the world, great manager. Good league.

So Real or Barca. Both can afford him you would think - but after spending £80m on Bale and £55m on Neymar could they justify another huge signing? Barca have got Neymar and Messi (not to mention plenty of other forwards) - would Suarez be overkill? Same goes for Madrid - they got rid of Ozil and Higuain.

I don't think it's as simple as it might seem. Surely the time to buy him was last summer - why did nobody bid?

Who could realistically afford him and his wages?

Real

Barca

PSG

Monaco

Chelsea

Bayern

We won't sell to chelsea again, so they're out. I can't see him wanting to go to Monaco for obvious reasons. PSG? Big stuff happening there, and Champions League contenders - but the French league? Nah. Bayern have got forwards coming out of their ears - and can they afford a £70m player? Not sure. No doubt Suarez would go there though - best team in the world, great manager. Good league.

So Real or Barca. Both can afford him you would think - but after spending £80m on Bale and £55m on Neymar could they justify another huge signing? Barca have got Neymar and Messi (not to mention plenty of other forwards) - would Suarez be overkill? Same goes for Madrid - they got rid of Ozil and Higuain.

I don't think it's as simple as it might seem. Surely the time to buy him was last summer - why did nobody bid?

Obviously I forgot City.

He didn't go last year because by and large the football world are fucking thick as pigshit.  Nobody outside of LFC realised just how good he is.  Real Madrid preferred to spend 100m on a worse player (albeit only marginally worse at the time).

The whole Arsenal transfer saga summed it up.  They bid 40m which really was a laughable sum.  To them though it wasn't.  If you go on their forums you would see they were fuming with us at the time.  They had bid a perfectly reasonable sum which should have been accepted.  If you go on Redcafe's Suarez thread you will see at the start of the summer they thought that not only would we only receive bids of around 25m we would actually accept them.

Some people's views were obviously moulded by his actions at the end of last season.  Thinking that the fact he's a complete nutter somehow devalues the sheer amount of goals and assist he was always going to make for the club this season.  The mancs are obviously going to have a warped view because they are fucking complete mongs but Arsenal thinking 40m was acceptable shows the wider view.

Everyone seems to miss the point in all of this.  It's similar to people being outraged/shocked at Bale's transfer fee.  At the end of the day to hit the big time and make the big money clubs have to get in the champions league.  We all know that.  Spurs wouldn't see a benefit of selling Bale for anything less than a 100m and even that doesn't look enough now because they are a worse side.

Based on that why would we sell our only chance of getting back into the champions league to our main rival of getting back in it.  It would have knocked us back years doing that and those years would have been at a bigger cost than 40m.  It's why the club didn't sell and it's why the club should only consider Bale-esque bids this summer regardless.

• Upvote 2

I'd say he has something solid in that contract regarding his release clause and fee if Madrid or Barca bid.

However, I expect us to have an enormous figure in there if we're forced to sell him in England for whatever reason.

In saying that, if we reach the CL, I'm pretty confident he'll stay.

The whole Arsenal transfer saga summed it up.  They bid 40m which really was a laughable sum.  To them though it wasn't.  If you go on their forums you would see they were fuming with us at the time.  They had bid a perfectly reasonable sum which should have been accepted.  If you go on Redcafe's Suarez thread you will see at the start of the summer they thought that not only would we only receive bids of around 25m we would actually accept them.

I don't think it was that laughable. The lad was damaged goods after everything that had gone on. For example, any bid would reflect the fact that he was going to miss nearly one-sixth of the league season. But the joker in the pack was FSG. There has always been a consensus in football that if you meet the transfer fee that the chattering classes have agreed is acceptable then the player will be off. What we had with Suarez was a board who gave the impression that they would happily have him rot in the reserves rather than let him go for anything less than stupid money. I wonder what would have happened if Suarez had spat his dummy out and called their bluff, for bluff is what it was. As it happened, he blinked first. It's not surprising that John Henry couldn't resist bragging about it recently. It's not much use pulling off a masterstroke if no one realises it was one.

• Upvote 1

I don't think it was that laughable. The lad was damaged goods after everything that had gone on. For example, any bid would reflect the fact that he was going to miss nearly one-sixth of the league season. But the joker in the pack was FSG. There has always been a consensus in football that if you meet the transfer fee that the chattering classes have agreed is acceptable then the player will be off. What we had with Suarez was a board who gave the impression that they would happily have him rot in the reserves rather than let him go for anything less than stupid money. I wonder what would have happened if Suarez had spat his dummy out and called their bluff, for bluff is what it was. As it happened, he blinked first. It's not surprising that John Henry couldn't resist bragging about it recently. It's not much use pulling off a masterstroke if no one realises it was one.

I agree it was very well done by Henry.

The sum was laughable though.  At the time everyone thought one of two things were going to happen.

1.  The top 3 spots stay nailed on.  Utd had just won the title by 11 points or something.  Chelsea and City were spending millions on players that we couldn't compete with.  The only club we could theoretically knock out of the champions league spots was Arsenal.  If they wanted to buy our best player and only real hope of getting back in the champions league then the value of the player becomes even higher than it would have been to sell him to United.  40m was a laughable sum as it would in no way compensate for missing out on the champions league.

2.  Moyes was going to United and was going to be terrible.  Spurs had just sold Bale or were going to but bought loads of quality players to compensate him.  We could theoretically sell Suarez to Arsenal because another space could open up due to United.  The only problem would be Spurs jumping ahead of us.  This was a prime season for us to get back in the champions league.  It would have been classic recent Liverpool behaviour to have fucked that chance up by selling Suarez for 40m.

40m was never anywhere near enough from Arsenal for those reasons.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

He has scored the same amount of goals (28) in the league as Fowler in his best season, 4 goals more than Torres' best season, 9 goals more than Owen's best season, 1 goal more than Rooney's best season and 3 goals less than Ronaldo's best season in the Premier League. All this with 8 games to go, while he is not taking penalties and...

while he is also Top in the Assists' table (11) in the Premier League.

Sublime.  

It s more likely it would be the club selling him rather than him wanting to leave. I am expecting a silly offer to come in for him and we accept it. More so if he ha s a great world cup, though a good thing I guess is they play him more out wide for his country.

Why the fuck would we sell him? Especially after all the fuss about keeping him at the start of the year. And since then he's turned into the best player in the world.

• Upvote 1

We're not going to actively try and sell him, he's key to our ambitions and irreplaceable. The only way he'll leave is if a massive, record shattering bid comes in, and I'm talking north of £85m, even then I expect the club to fight to keep him.

I might be being naïve, but I can't see him going anywhere for a couple of years.

It would have to north of 100 million. He's probably worth far more than that to us anyway.

I agree. When he's on the pitch anything possible, we can beat anyone. We're not a one man team, far from it, but Suarez has that magic that we only see once a generation, we could have £500m, we wouldn't be able to buy another Luis Suarez.

• Upvote 1

He has scored the same amount of goals (28) in the league as Fowler in his best season, 4 goals more than Torres' best season, 9 goals more than Owen's best season, 1 goal more than Rooney's best season and 3 goals less than Ronaldo's best season in the Premier League. All this with 8 games to go, while he is not taking penalties and...

while he is also Top in the Assists' table (11) in the Premier League.

Sublime.  

and he missed the first five or six games...