You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Rugby Thread

Rapey Hugh

Fairly stock response that, whenever NZ are run close. England could well improve too given half their first team were still on the plane.

On a kind of related note; this AB side has all the hallmarks of the 1991 WC side for me. A great side coming to end of its cycle. Ageing stars in key positions try to eke out on more season to last the distance. I hope I'm wrong. I want the ABs to win the world cup next year.

You're right. Carter may go the distance (re: next world cup) but I'm not so sure of Mccaw.

Personally, I think Steve Hanson is too conservative a coach.

NZ is chocca full of talent. It needs to come through now.

Mind you, I'm more of a Wallabies fan having spent 7 yrs over there when Campo , Farr - Jones and Linagh were rampant.

I think both teams will be better next week, but think we may have missed our best chance.

Liked the look of Eastmond at 12. Jonny May has some pace but actually seems scared at times which is very unusual at that level of sport.

Don't really like going on about the refs too much but Nigel Owens was dismal in the 2nd half. How we never got a penalty on either of the 2 occasions that the AB's scrum was pushed up in the air & backwards was baffling.

I don't think a 1 point victory tells the story but a good last ten by England there. Losing Farrell to the sin bin was a big loss, as you can't give these numerical advantage.

Move Manu back in the centre next week please, as well as he did today.

Oh and work on the kicking, it was generally shite today.

I just don't see us winning a World Cup with Twelvetrees at centre. He is just far too flimsy & makes too any mistakes. Poor decision to put Manu on the wing I think.

All Blacks too good today but we aren't far away.You can see in certain moments that we lack experience, particularly in the backs & just do silly things like aimless kicking, failing to make touch & players getting carried away & getting isolated with attendant turnovers or penalties.

Wales got steamrollered a bit by the Saffers although the officials were very one-eyed I felt.

There seems to be a new rule this season that Southern Hemisphere teams are not allowed to be penalised for knock-ons unless it goes at least 3 yards forward.

watched recordings of the games today

England will go to the World Cup with the joint best squad in the competition (alongside NZ) but we are still short of a settled and decisive XI.  The center partnership is one of concern and Lancaster needs to pick his fav 9 & 10 partnership quickly.  In fact all 4 positions should be linked.  If we go with two bruisers in the middle in Tuilagi & Burrell we will need a more creative 10 than Farrell to give the backline the service they will require.  If we go with a more maverick/creative player at 12 or 13 then a steady 10 like Farrell will work fine.

Also they need to ditch the rule about not picking players based in France. Armitage has to come in.  He's a big game blockbuster of a player.

Wales were battered by SA.  Not sure what to make of them.  Like Ireland when they click they have an excellent team and are capable of beating most if not any team but too often they don't play to their potential.  The game plan requires them to overpower the oppo yet SA battered them in this area especially upfront.  SA are brutal in the front 8.

One year to go and all 3 of the Tri Nations teams look in very good shape.  They all have fine tuning to make.  All northern teams have much more work to do and key questions that need answering.

I just don't see us winning a World Cup with Twelvetrees at centre. He is just far too flimsy & makes too any mistakes. Poor decision to put Manu on the wing I think.

It is tricky one the centres.

You can't really play Burrell and Manu, as it is just all power.  

Manu has to be 13.  Maybe give Eastmond another try at 12?

lot could depend on how Sam Burgess adjusts to the code.  Late in the day but he has the potential to be fucking awesome

He's a battering ram isn't he?  Or is he also creative in league with his passing?!

I don't watch rugby league, I think it's shite.

Sam Burgess is a great rugby league forward. Good offload and a brutal runner. Hasn't got an expansive passing or kicking game though. Would make a great number 8 I reckon. Mind you Andy Farrell was a rugby league prop and played centre for England. SBW is a second row in league and played wing or centre for the All Blacks.

Hasn't got an expansive passing or kicking game though. 

That's what I thought.

So he's not going to add the creation which England really need to compliment Manu.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...