You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

World's Best Defenders

Maybe I've just lost touch with international football, but I'd struggle to name the world's greatest defender(s) these days. Not just ones who are quite good, or people who you'd like Liverpool to sign, but the absolute, unbeatable, towering forces of nature who strike terror and despair into the hearts of attackers. In the past, I'd be able to bandy around names like Maldini, Cannavaro, Stam or Hyypia, or even wax lyrical about France's Ligne Magique. Now I'm not so sure.

So, help me FF, you're my only hope.

Who are the very best defenders currently playing?

does seem to be a bit of a shortage, the real class ones at the moment are I would say are Pique, Chiellini and Tiago Silva whereas 7-10 years ago you could reel off the likes of Maldini, Nesta, Hyypia, Carragher, Terry, Stam, Puyol, Thuram, Lucio

also think there is a major shortage in top class full backs, just Ashley Cole, Alba and Lahm for me at the moment

Not world class for me but still an excellent defender who would improve a club like us and has helped Spurs too.

I think he's got it all. This is his first PL season and he will only get better with more experience under his belt. I predict he will become one of the best defenders in the future.

I think he's got it all. This is his first PL season and he will only get better with more experience under his belt. I predict he will become one of the best defenders in the future.

not saying it will turn out the same way but Vermaelen had a very similar first season, Belgium centre back/left back signed by a North London Club from Ajax capable of scoring goals,good on the ball and very solid at the back and its gone a bit down hill for him since, still a decent player like, don't think Verthonghen has done enough yet to be among the top centre halves but he does have the potential

According to James Pearce in the echo, Rodgers watched him but doesn't want to follow up his interest.

Why would he? He is already captain of his club - having amassed over 100 appearances to date, and already has 5 International caps for Holland. At the age of 21.

We could spend twice as much on a 29 year old, who only appeared in top flight football for the first time last season, and plays for Wales.

Its a no brainer.

According to Fifa 13' date=' Thiago Silva & Sergio Ramos are the best in the world at the moment.[/quote']

I think Ramos is a calamity. Very neat on the ball but fuck me, e makes a lot of big mistakes. That young lad real have got though is going to be world class. Can't remember his name and I'm too hungover to look.

Chiellini for me is the best right now.

I think Ramos is a calamity. Very neat on the ball but fuck me, e makes a lot of big mistakes. That young lad real have got though is going to be world class. Can't remember his name and I'm too hungover to look.

Chiellini for me is the best right now.

Raphael Varane?

not saying it will turn out the same way but Vermaelen had a very similar first season, Belgium centre back/left back signed by a North London Club from Ajax capable of scoring goals,good on the ball and very solid at the back and its gone a bit down hill for him since, still a decent player like, don't think Verthonghen has done enough yet to be among the top centre halves but he does have the potential

I see why you compare the two, similar in many ways, but Vertonghen is much taller and stronger than Vermaelen is.

He also looks more like a leader on the pitch.

Vermaelen has been troubled with injuries. May be the reason why his performances went downhill.

Can't believe nobody's mentioned David Alaba yet. Bayern LB, he's been absolutely phenomenal this season.

On a similar note Bayern's summer signing Dante has been one of the key reasons for their success this term. Fantastic organiser.