You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

My dog is a cross breed.  She is part American Staffy and part Pit Bull.

Legal restrictions where I live mean the dog can't leave the house without a muzzle on and can never be off lead.

I ignore these laws because I know my dog.  She does look tough, though, I'll give them that.

I find this astounding. I hope to god you're right. It's a lot of faith to put in an animal.

I find this astounding. I hope to god you're right. It's a lot of faith to put in an animal.

Why the neg?  I have every faith in her.  My family loves that dog.  She sometimes sleeps in my children's rooms.

To reiterate, I don't care about other people, my family comes first.  I'd thought you'd back me on that.

My dog is a cross breed.  She is part American Staffy and part Pit Bull.

Legal restrictions where I live mean the dog can't leave the house without a muzzle on and can never be off lead.

I ignore these laws because I know my dog.  She does look tough, though, I'll give them that. 

Do you live in the UK?

Do you live in the UK?

Not any more, mate.

My dog is categorised as a "menacing dog" under New Zealand law.

Pit bulls are labelled 'menacing' by the Dog Control Act 1996.

Owners of dangerous or menacing dogs must have them registered with their local council. These owners have to pay higher dog registration fees, though these fees change from council to council. Muzzles must be used when the dog is out in public or the owner can be fined up to $3000. All dangerous dogs must be neutered, by law, and kept in a fenced area that is away from the owner's front door.

My dog was trained from being a pup.  I walk her along the street next to me without a lead.  Little barky dogs on leads go wild, and sometimes she might stop for a sniff, but I just click and she walks by at heel.

We may come unstuck by law, but just about everyone where I live knows my dog Rosie because she's so friendly and pleasant.

People who don't know her will sometimes pick up their little yappy dogs, and I do understand that.  However, it doesn't stop me calling, "Heal, Killer, heal!  Leave, Killer, leave" in a panicky voice as I walk past.

Because I'm 12.

• Upvote 1

Not any more, mate.

My dog is categorised as a "menacing dog" under New Zealand law.

Pit bulls are labelled 'menacing' by the Dog Control Act 1996.

Owners of dangerous or menacing dogs must have them registered with their local council. These owners have to pay higher dog registration fees, though these fees change from council to council. Muzzles must be used when the dog is out in public or the owner can be fined up to $3000. All dangerous dogs must be neutered, by law, and kept in a fenced area that is away from the owner's front door.

My dog was trained from being a pup. I walk her along the street next to me without a lead. Little barky dogs on leads go wild, and sometimes she might stop for a sniff, but I just click and she walks by at heel.

We may come unstuck by law, but just about everyone where I live knows my dog Rosie because she's so friendly and pleasant.

People who don't know her will sometimes pick up their little yappy dogs, and I do understand that. However, it doesn't stop me calling, "Heal, Killer, heal! Leave, Killer, leave" in a panicky voice as I walk past.

Because I'm 12.

$3000 fine? Wow.

Why the neg? I have every faith in her. My family loves that dog. She sometimes sleeps in my children's rooms.

To reiterate, I don't care about other people, my family comes first. I'd thought you'd back me on that.

Ha ha ha. With logic like that...

To be fair that's only about 50p

Now Mr Hudu, you know full well the exchange rate is about 2:1.  Except in Hastings where it's 3:1.

Though on the plus side, a Manx pound in Hastings is 1:1.

I would resent paying the $3000 fine.  My dog might bite someone.  And the bloke who lives next door may smash my window, pour petriol through and set the house alight.  I am confident that neither will ever happen.

I would like to see the council develop some requirement that all dogs are DNA tested on licensing.  Then employ a dog warden to walk the streets, then on seeing dog muck, have it tested and fine the owner $50, then on a scale increasing with each offence.

Clean up the streets from irresponsible dog owners, people who willfully ignore their dog ruining the environment for non-dog owners and responsible dog owners alike.

• Upvote 1

Now Mr Hudu, you know full well the exchange rate is about 2:1.  Except in Hastings where it's 3:1.

Though on the plus side, a Manx pound in Hastings is 1:1.

I would resent paying the $3000 fine.  My dog might bite someone.  And the bloke who lives next door may smash my window, pour petriol through and set the house alight.  I am confident that neither will ever happen.

I would like to see the council develop some requirement that all dogs are DNA tested on licensing.  Then employ a dog warden to walk the streets, then on seeing dog muck, have it tested and fine the owner $50, then on a scale increasing with each offence.

Clean up the streets from irresponsible dog owners, people who willfully ignore their dog ruining the environment for non-dog owners and responsible dog owners alike.

In Hastings they still offer to re-thatch your roof in return for a hogshead of fine mead.

• Upvote 1

Guest Pistonbroke

Dogs are ace, some humans who look after dogs are cunts. It's not rocket science..........Some humans that look after children are cunts as well, especially those who bring up little Tory cunts. They nip like a puppy, but also piss themselves far too often. 

• 4 years later...

17 month old in St Helens killed by a dog they’d bought a week before.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-60829837

A 17-month-old girl has died after being attacked by a dog in her home.

Bella-Rae Birch died in hospital after the attack in St Helens at about 15:50 GMT on Monday, Merseyside Police said.

Her family said she would be "sadly missed but never forgotten" and thanked the community for its support.

Officers said her "absolutely devastated" family had only bought the dog, which was killed by police, a week ago and tests would be carried out to see if it was an illegal breed.

Police said they would also try to identify its previous owners as part of the investigation.

Supt Steve Brizell said the girl's death had "left a family and a community grieving and in complete shock".

"Bella-Rae has lost her life in the most unimaginably terrible circumstances," he said.

"At this stage we understand that the family dog they had bought just a week earlier has attacked Bella-Rae inside the family home.

"Bella-Rae was taken by ambulance to hospital by paramedics but despite the best efforts of police officers at [the] scene, paramedics and doctors sadly Bella-Rae died as a result of her injuries."

The attack happened at the family's home in Bidston Avenue in the Blackbrook area of St Helens.

One neighbour, who gave her name as Jordan, said the child's parents were "hysterical".

"We pulled up from school and heard screaming. I just ran over to try to help and started CPR until the paramedics took over," she said. "I didn't see the dog, I was just focusing on helping the baby."

Another neighbour who helped to give CPR said: "The parents doted on the children. It's too upsetting to say anything else."

Joanne Matthews said she saw an ambulance outside the house and then about 10 police vehicles arrived.

"I saw them bring the dog out. I couldn't tell what breed it was but from the back it looked like a Staffordshire bull terrier or pit bull," she said.

Ms Matthews, 53, said the toddler was "a beautiful little girl".

"I'd see the family in passing, just to say hello, and they were always very pleasant," she said.

Another neighbour, who did not want to be named, said she got home when the area was busy with police.

"The mum was on the field at the front of the house crying. She was hysterical," she said.

"It is usually very quiet here and safe for children, but when you hear something like this has happened it is so distressing."

7 minutes ago, Nelly-Matip said:

Confirmed that it wasn’t a banned breed. It was one of those American Bully XL dogs. 

I’m not a fan of them. Don’t see the point of them and (without wanting to stereotype) they seem to be owned by the same kind of people and largely owned for status and to try to look hard. 

Said it before, but I'd never have anything in my house capable of killing me, be it a pitbull, Rottweiler, or grizzly bear. Each to their own like, but don't be complaining when something which is purely instinct driven, has the IQ of a spud and jaws like a raptor eats your face when it's having a bad day. 

People always get emotional about these debate though and the key defence seems to be 'I've got a pibull/mastiff type creature and it's nice to me'. But it doesn't really work like that I suspect. 

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Nelly-Matip said:

Confirmed that it wasn’t a banned breed. It was one of those American Bully XL dogs. 

I’m not a fan of them. Don’t see the point of them and (without wanting to stereotype) they seem to be owned by the same kind of people and largely owned for status and to try to look hard. 

It's not the dogs fault but like fuck you'd leave your child alone with one of these let alone having only had the dog a week

640px-(2x_ch_GRAN_DALI)_BOTTIcelli_.jpg