You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Worst ever Liverpool performance?

redfromtubebar

It's been called out already but the 0-1 to Wolves under Hodgson was truly awful. Don't think we managed a shot on target. Torres was effectively on strike. You could see the difference a month later when we beat them 3-0 away and Torres knew he was leaving.

The 0-0 away to Barca in the 2001 UEFA Cup was numbingly awful, but the trip made up for it.

Under Houllier remember going to Boro - only time I've been, place is just one enormous chemistry set. We were top after 12 games, turned up and played for a point, got beat 1-0, abject lack of ambition or intent. Utterly deflating - although the pork barm (not a euphemism) for 70p after the match sweetened the pill a little. Seem to remember that ale was startlingly cheap too.

The 0-0 with Stoke under KD was dreadful simply because with the team he started with you knew even as you were walking across Stanley Park under inky skies that that was all we'd get.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wolves at home under Hodgson. Having been to games since I was 12 until that point I had never sat in the Kop.

Despite the obvious downbeat mood of the Hodgson era I was excited; the banners and the flags and the giant flag coming over your head and the songs....I was buzzing, in spite of it all.

But that game was the most dreadful, most insipid, most shocking performance I've seen from Liverpool. Utterly diabolical in every sense.

When Ebanks-Blake makes Fernando Torres look like Sean Dundee you know you have problems. None of the players wanted to know; sloppy passing, no effort, no committed runs or pressing....makes me shudder when I think of it.

Yes, the game against Southampton was bad, but it in no way compared to the absolute shambles of Wolves under Hodgson.

Celta Vigo 1998 at hom As per usual back then we'd lost the away game 3-1 and I was expecting another glorious European night with a push for a comeback in the tie. Wrong. The dullest game ever to be played at Anfield. We barely created any chances and they scored early in the second half only to make it worse.

It was Stevie G's first European game as well.

There have been a fair amout of them in recent years, Stoke at home last season bears an awful scar for me, lost my ticket and had to buy another one. Guts of £80 to watch Dirk Kuyt head wide and Andy Carroll change his boots, that was the extent of a shit match. God I hate Stoke.

Fulham away when Degen and Carra were sent off was torturous, Bolton and Swansea away last season, both pathetic. Andy Cole bumming us 3 times for Newcastle was a hard one to take too. Roy's 2 efforts at home to Wolves and Northampton take the biscuit, sad days they where.

96 Fa Cup final for me. Hands down, when you consider the context. I wasn't particularly that arsed about the suits but it was a totally gutless, shithouse performance which handed Cantona the return he craved. A disgraceful match and one which stands out in my mind even now.

The Wolves one under Hodgson for me. Walked back to Broadway in Norris Green with my mate & his wife after the game & not a word was uttered by any of the 3 of us, completely catatonic.

The first 70 minutes of the Blackburn away that season was a bit grim as well, before Stevie put us & Hodgson out of our misery by Staming that penno over the bar.

On the Leicester one mentioned earlier, I have an inkling that Utd were winnning in the CL semi-final the same night which was the double-whammy to end all double-whammies.

Yeah it was, the Juve away leg, grim.

96 Fa Cup final for me. Hands down, when you consider the context. I wasn't particularly that arsed about the suits but it was a totally gutless, shithouse performance which handed Cantona the return he craved. A disgraceful match and one which stands out in my mind even now.

2 high quality sides in a huge cup final after an eventful season (didnt we finish 3rd behind MU and NU) and the game was just utterly garbage. Not one person played well from both sides and then David fucking James spills the ball. the shithouse.

If we won that game, the suits would never be mentioned, but likewise I wasn't concerned about them and always saw that as a non-story.

Scratch another for the 96 Cup Final, it had it all: shit game where we just didn't turn up, show piece final in the most monked over competition by the media, David James spilling another fucking ball, Cantona capatilising the prick, the fact it was that mob we lost to.

That for me pips losing to a Dan Eggen (dick) inspired Brondby 1-0 and Wolves 1-0 which even though we had got rid of cancer and Aids at that point just reaffirmed the total maliase on and off the park that he club had been in since the start of 2010.

0-2 at home to Crystal Palace in the FA Cup under Hula-hoop.

Midweek replay, freezing cold, they had ten men ( and scored a second ), big Ivanhoe Heskey ran the full length of their half on his tod for a one on one with the keeper before falling on his arse and Bruno fucking Cheyrou trotting about in his golden boots having a nightmare.

I got three points for speeding on the way home an all.

Coventry at home 1997, Sunday after the grand national.

Win and we are top of the league, went 1-0 up and ended up losing 2-1, good team but soft as hell.

Never got over the fact we did not win the league that season, it still bugs me today.

Win and we are top of the league, went 1-0 up and ended up losing 2-1, good team but soft as hell.

Never got over the fact we did not win the league that season, it still bugs me today.

That game still bothers me too. Didn't we concede from 2 corners? James came and flapped at both? I remember Fowler scoring a stunner to put us 1 up I think.

Still amazes me that mid-nineties team didn't win the league. One decent centre back away from winning it. James was alright in the previous couple of seasons but went to pieces in 1997.

What could have been had Desailly not chosen Chelsea over ourselves.

I walked 10 mile home that day hungover like a dog after sleeping in my mates parents garage. All that was motivating me was gettinghome to listen to the game on the radio and lie in the bath.

Radio near ended up in the bath with me.