You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Does Rodgers deserve another season.

thompsonsnose

Out of interest, who would this new manager be?

That's a different thread, but Id be looking at three names, Rafa, Klopp, or Paul clement. The latter is a risk,but isn't everyone a risk?

But let's be honest, a caretaker manager could do a better job here. Tactically we are a shambles. Right now we're lucky to be where we are, and that's an appalling thing to admit.

That's a different thread, but Id be looking at three names, Rafa, Klopp, or Paul clement. The latter is a risk,but isn't everyone a risk?

But let's be honest, a caretaker manager could do a better job here. Tactically we are a shambles. Right now we're lucky to be where we are, and that's an appalling thing to admit.

No No and No again.

Just beacuse he is Ancelotti's assistant does'nt mean he is going to be good as a manager at one of the biggest clubs in World football.

Proven Manager with a history please.

If we are going down the younger route again id much prefer De Boer or Koeman.

Er, so you're wanting to appoint a manager who's in a worse run than our current manager and cant find a solution to his team's troubles? So he's won trophies in the past which is not to belittle his achievements one iota but he's not able to change his current club's fortunes all the same.

Paul Clement, a guy hanging on to the coat tails of Ancelotti? OK he might be another mourinho in the making but its a massive leap of faith.

So really your number one choice is to go back to the future with benitez.

Guest Pistonbroke

No No and No again.

Just beacuse he is Ancelotti's assistant does'nt mean he is going to be good as a manager at one of the biggest clubs in World football.

Proven Manager with a history please.

If we are going down the younger route again id much prefer De Boer or Koeman.

I agree with most of that, accept the fact we are no longer a member of the biggest club in World football league. 

Rodgers have made two big mistakes. One is not getting a top class striker in this summer, the other is failing to handle the issue with Gerrard.

There are plenty of other things he's done wrong as well, but I think those two are the fundamental ones.

I still don't think sacking him would do us any good. New man in starting over with our, compared to the richest clubs, limited funds and pulling power may actually be a real disaster.

paul clement ha.

Take a punt on a coach when everyone is calling for a manager who has won things?

Rodgers have made two big mistakes. One is not getting a top class striker in this summer, the other is failing to handle the issue with Gerrard.

There are plenty of other things he's done wrong as well, but I think those two are the fundamental ones.

I still don't think sacking him would do us any good. New man in starting over with our, compared to the richest clubs, limited funds and pulling power may actually be a real disaster.

And the rest.

I'd like to see Jorge Jesus in a more competitive league.

AvB all over again?

Villas-Boas had had one stellar debut season as a coach with Porto before moving to Chelsea. He moved far too soon and it's been a struggle for him ever since. Jorge Jesus has won things and been competitive for a number of years, and got a sde that plays in the relatively weak Portuguese league to two European finals. Jorge Jesus is the foreign coach I suggested a few months back when we were talking about who could replace Rodgers because he gets his sides to play aggressive attacking football, understands how to make his team solid and hard to break down, has loads of European experience and has won things.

• Upvote 3

There's one issue about to be resolved then

Plenty of managers would take on the task if we were **prepared to ask/pay their worth/and back their ideas with hard cash and better wages to entice better players to sign for us**. I hate it when people ask "Who would a new manager be." It's just a shit cop out. 

**We won't though, still many a manager would take on the job, unfortunately they'd be in  the same ilk as BR, hopeful...which seems to be our owners favourite fucking word!!!

The reason i brought it up was because a poster said sack Rodgers and give another manager 20 mil to spend in January. When i asked who, the reply was three people currently employed. So step one would be easy step two is where we could come a cropper.

did well at porto not so well at chelsea and spurs.

fanchester was saying anyone could successfully manage chelsea or city and avb couldn't

The reason he failed at Chelsea is the major players at the club acted like spoiled brats. The Spurs one is debatable as he had more points on the board when sacked than the current manager at the same stage, plus he had to integrate a large number of new players.

When United beat Liverpool 3-0 – their most eye-catching result of the season if not necessarily their best performance – not a single one of their summer signings started the game. Which prompted the thought that if Van Gaal is right, if it really is about organisation rather than players, maybe the transfer market is an extraordinary scam in which almost all of football is complicit. Perhaps, with a few outliers, the vast majority of footballers aren’t really that different from each other.

Food for thought.

AvB was up against a dressing room who wanted to pick the team and an owner who had the same insubordinate cuts on his yacht lapping it up. Chelsea were in disarray then and despite his age Villas-boas was a fairly safe bet having had a successful year at Porto and spending time as a scout at Chelsea under Mourinho.

At Spurs again he had an owner who spent on whatever he wanted and didn't let the manager stamp his style or authority on the team.

I too think he is a better manager than given credit for. That said I don't want him here.

• Upvote 3

AvB was up against a dressing room who wanted to pick the team and an owner who had the same insubordinate cuts on his yacht lapping it up. Chelsea were in disarray then and despite his age Villas-boas was a fairly safe bet having had a successful year at Porto and spending time as a scout at Chelsea under Mourinho.

At Spurs again he had an owner who spent on whatever he wanted and didn't let the manager stamp his style or authority on the team.

I too think he is a better manager than given credit for. That said I don't want him here.

Agree entirely. He was simply never going to succeed at Chelsea. Half the squad was older than he was.

At Spurs they panicked, and I think it's why they're being more patient with Pochettino now (who I think is a decent manager).

• Upvote 1

The reason he failed at Chelsea is the major players at the club acted like spoiled brats. The Spurs one is debatable as he had more points on the board when sacked than the current manager at the same stage, plus he had to integrate a large number of new players.

These are all good reasons that few will remember or care about. The fact is he failed at both clubs.