You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

What's the opinion on Joe Allen's first half season?

Seems to be one of the first names on Rodgers' team sheet rain or shine, for obvious reasons I suppose but does he deserve to be?

I'll be fair to him in that he's had to pick up a lot of the slack for Lucas being out but on the whole apart from being very tidy and able to find a pass I've stuggled to see exactly what the lad is all about and how he improves the midfield we had last season.

So I suppose I'd be interested to hear what others think?

I personally thought that Jordan Henderson was starting to come along last season and I'm a little bit annoyed that he's not really been given much of a look in so far under the new Manager.

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nobody in midfield has really performed so far, we definitely haven't seen the best of Joe Allen. I'd still pick him every week because he will improve and deserves a season to settle. I'd also fight Henderson corner, who I'm guessing would be his replacement? Hendo played wide right for the most part of last season and deserves a shot at centre mid.

Neither have a magic wand, just takes time.

I had hoped he would be better, as it is I'm a bit underwhelmed and all in all he seems like a pointless signing seeing as we are crying out for goalscorers and had loads of midfielders who can do exactly what he can do and maybe even better in our squad before.

Allen started very well and then faded. It may be something to do with Lucas. Or it could just be settling in issues and the usual peaks and troughs. He is a good player and will be fine. I do agree with what has been said though - I'd switch Henderson in and give him a bit of a rest.

Note: if we add to our attacking options in January, Stevie is not bullet proof and he may need to be rested occasionally too. Though that's not what this thread is about.

He started well, but has been not great since the League Cup match against Swansea, when he got caught in possession so often I lost count.

He is a good player and I'm not worried about him in the longer term, although I'd question whether his signing was a priority above other positions before the season started.

Saw this article yesterday for anyone who's interested. He's won possession more than any other player in the league. I think he needs to start proving that he can be a bit more adventurous when he does have the ball. Sometimes it seems like he's trying to protect his pass completion percentage. Could do with a bit of a rest now but he's made a steady start.

Player Focus: Premier Possession Winners

I had hoped he would be better, as it is I'm a bit underwhelmed and all in all he seems like a pointless signing seeing as we are crying out for goalscorers and had loads of midfielders who can do exactly what he can do and maybe even better in our squad before.

Agreed. The relationship between himself and BR is obviously an unhealthy one. That's the only reason I can think of, to shell out such a huge amount on such an ordinary player; solid, but ordinary. Perhaps we're going to sell Lucas in January and cash in on him? Then Allen can shine in all his ordinary-ness, helping move the team to nowhere.

I think he's a pretty good player. We probably should have paid less and bought some forwards, but that was obvious at the time and neither of those things are Joe Allen's fault. It's true of every player to an extent, but I think Allen, in particular is the type of player who will get a lot better with age and experience.

He's done well. managers love to buy in a voice, and an ear, in the dressing room, as Hodgson did with PK.

The prssure of playing for us has taken its toll in recent weeks, but he will come good. we overpaid, but that is our calling card these days.

Must admit when he came with Rodgers at the expense of a decent attacking player (or two) my immediate thoughts were also 'dressing room spy' but the lad's got a bit of class; Joe Allen can play. He's our Aldi Alonso.

The midfield definatly needed sorting last summer and it still does now , a quality number 10 is needed , someone like the Diego of 2/3 years ago , hopefully Suso could be that player.

Dont really know what that says about Joe Allen , not impressed if im honest and more than a bit puzzled as to the point of him at this moment in time , hes neither an attacking midfielder nor a defensive midfielder , our Michael Carrick ? but hes young and only been here 5 minutes so deserves a bit of time to show us what hes about.

One other thing , we have enough 5 foot nothing players playing for us , we dont want to be signing to many more because we will become even more of a soft touch than we already are , simply can't afford it in this league.

The midfield definatly needed sorting last summer and it still does now , a quality number 10 is needed , someone like the Diego of 2/3 years ago , hopefully Suso could be that player.

Dont really know what that says about Joe Allen , not impressed if im honest and more than a bit puzzled as to the point of him at this moment in time , hes neither an attacking midfielder nor a defensive midfielder , our Michael Carrick ? but hes young and only been here 5 minutes so deserves a bit of time to show us what hes about.

One other thing , we have enough 5 foot nothing players playing for us , we dont want to be signing to many more because we will become even more of a soft touch than we already are , simply can't afford it in this league.

Précis:

Warning! The following content is NOT WORK SAFE. Click the Show button to reveal.

WHERE ARE THE POWERCOONS?!?!!

I agree with you btw

Does what he needs to and thats about it.

More concerned about Sahin.

He started slow due to being out awhile and then hit a great 2 or 3 games and then turned shit.

Back to Joe though and at the moment I cant see him and Lucas working out.

Maybe when Lucas is back to full fitness but till then I cant see us doing much attacking wise with them on the field together.

For me it seems a pretty pointless signing because he and Lucas are so similar, with the latter better.

They're both adept at keeping possession. Both adept at controlling play and tempo (Lucas is better). Both have good movement and are comfortable on the ball. One of the two, Lucas, is also good at protecting the defence.

Him and Lucas won't work together well, in my opinion - unless Allen starts performing further forward and begins to dictate our attacking play better.

Lets see how he gets on for the second half of the season, anyways.

Well, i remember Lucas was signed as an attacking midfielder, to create and score goals. At least i think that is what he played in Brazil.

He developed into one of the best holding midfielders in the league, and personally i did not see that coming.

Point being is that players can develop new strengths, and maybe Allen playing alongside Lucas can develop certain offensive skills? He is a gifted footballer(just like Henderson), so a different more direct mindset would maybe do them good.

Well, i remember Lucas was signed as an attacking midfielder, to create and score goals. At least i think that is what he played in Brazil.

He developed into one of the best holding midfielders in the league, and personally i did not see that coming.

Point being is that players can develop new strengths, and maybe Allen playing alongside Lucas can develop certain offensive skills? He is a gifted footballer(just like Henderson), so a different more direct mindset would maybe do them good.

I agree - I think I specifically alluded to as much. Lets hope he can develop a role different to the one he is currently playing. Because otherwise he won't be of much use, to be honest.

Agree with most started very brightly but seems to have dipped over the last couple of months. Looks like he could do with spending a bit more time in the gym as the word 'lightweight' seems to crop up.

In all fairness he's young, still adapting to joining a new club and playing in a side that's struggling. We used to give experienced players a season to settle in let alone younger players.

Longer term I'm not sure about him and Lucas. As we've seen with Henderson give then time to settle and they can often improve.