You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

We shouldn't have a holding two. We should just get a really good holding one, and let the players play. We took risks tonight, even though Sunderland are piss poor, because Gerrard had much more licence to roam. Granted, he showed huge energy, and was often our deepest midfielder, at other times he ran ahead of the play. That's huge demands asked of a 32 year old, but he had a great game. Lucas tends to play in a much more limited area of the pitch, and he is nowhere near as mobile. If we had a mobile, authoritative, dominating defensive midfielder it would reduce the burden on Gerrard and potentially extend his career in a Liverpool shirt.

Allen's obviously not that player, but then neither imo is Lucas. Henderson carrying an extra half stone and an extra pair of bollocks could be turned into that sort of player if he can be weaned off the hair products.

I thought we looked good tonight with one holding midfielder and two box-to-box midfielders either side of him. Realistically, this is about as much as can be expected. I'm not sure there are any defensive midfielders that can do what you are suggesting be done in the Premier League, especially against the top teams and with the system of two wide front men that we play. We dominated the midfield tonight. I think Lucas should have a limited role, and that is to take out the most dangerous area of the pitch in front of the back four and be the relief/swing man on attacks. What we saw tonight was exactly what Rodgers suggested we would see once Lucas came back. One mistake I think Rodgers has made is that he seemed to value Shelvey more than Henderson. Henderson offers more defensively than Shelvey does, and this allows us to see the more forward thinking Gerrard that has been restricted in the first half of the season. It looks like a Lucas, Allen, and Gerrard base with Shelvey and Henderson rotating in for the future.

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dunno' date=' you could hardly describe Didi as mobile. Same goes for Alonso.[/quote']

Alonso didn't need to be that mobile, cos of his master-class long pass. Lucas is more of a mascherano / Alonso combo type player, and i'm hoping that his longer passing game and quick thinking will offset the injury. He can still be our linking DCM play maker.

Allen came on and immediately slotted right into a more attacking role, looking imppressive. We can expect more of this now Lucas is back, and I still say Allen was bought as a long term replacement for Stevie.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Alonso didn't need to be that mobile' date=' cos of his master-class long pass. Lucas is more of a mascherano / Alonso combo type player, and i'm hoping that his longer passing game and quick thinking will offset the injury. He can still be our linking DCM play maker.

Allen came on and immediately slotted right into a more attacking role, looking imppressive. We can expect more of this now Lucas is back, and I still say Allen was bought as a long term replacement for Stevie.[/quote']

There's no way he was bought as Stevie's replacement. He talked about getting a number 10 in the summer. He's also talks a lot about the midfield three either having two forward and one back, or one forward and two back.

Allen will either be the more attacking of the two defensive midfielders, or the less gung-ho of the two forward.

I thought he was superb when he came on. Genuinely superb. He can do that when he is instructed to.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
I dunno' date=' you could hardly describe Didi as mobile. Same goes for Alonso.[/quote']

What's your view on the need for a big, energetic, strong bastard for midfield. I'm talking about the Essien type. Moussa Sissoko, that sort?

I've been talking about one for a year now. Even Jordy Clasie would help.

There's no way he was bought as Stevie's replacement. He talked about getting a number 10 in the summer. He's also talks a lot about the midfield three either having two forward and one back, or one forward and two back.

Allen will either be the more attacking of the two defensive midfielders, or the less gung-ho of the two forward.

I thought he was superb when he came on. Genuinely superb. He can do that when he is instructed to.

It begs the question, why wasn't he instructed to do it earlier, considering our firepower shortage? Surely a better plan for the first half of the season, was not putting Spearing on loan, but having him fill in for Lucas, leaving Allen free to roam forward? Considering the shambles that's been our defense, it would have been a very workable option, and more goals for us wouldn't have gone astray.

What's your view on the need for a big, energetic, strong bastard for midfield. I'm talking about the Essien type. Moussa Sissoko, that sort?

I've been talking about one for a year now. Even Jordy Clasie would help.

Clasie ticks the energetic part of the three requirements and has really good passing but big and strong he isn't and brings pretty much the same as what Lucas does (although I'm sure some would argue he's potentially better)

He wouldn't really bring anything like what you're mentioning in terms of a physical contribution.

It's worth remembering as well that Essien was at his best when playing next to Makalele (deepest) and Lampard (furthest forward) so was occupying a role similar to what Gerrard has recently or what you describe above as Joe Allens best role. I can't see us signing anyone to oust them.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

I think Clasie is plenty strong in the tackle. He has a bit of the Mascheranos about him in that regard. I wasn't talking about him as a big bruiser, that's why I started a new paragraph and said 'even' Clasie could 'help'. If the plan isn't for a shithouse, Clasie is a good shout for me, mate.

I think Clasie is plenty strong in the tackle. He has a bit of the Mascheranos about him in that regard. I wasn't talking about him as a big bruiser, that's why I started a new paragraph and said 'even' Clasie could 'help'. If the plan isn't for a shithouse, Clasie is a good shout for me, mate.

Clasie is great and has loads of potential. If we were looking for someone who could cover/rotate with Lucas he would be great. I don't think he's a priority as much as someone who could take the furthest forward role in the midfield.

I think its Gerrard or Allen for the spot next to Lucas and we need someone desperately to play in that attacking midfield position like you have previously mentioned

Was really good. Looked more like the Joe Allen i thought we'd signed, and did a great job of getting forward as like you say, he'd obviously been instructed to.

Looked like the player i saw at the Olympics, where he worked well with Sturridge if i remember rightly.

• 2 months later...

Can't believe no one is moaning about Allen considering how much abuse Henderson and Lucas have had in the past, especially on here.

Seriously how shit has he been?

Would love to know our win ratio with him in the team (from starting, not sub appearance) and without him in the team.

Not only is he shit, he fucks up Stevie's game too, so a double whammy when he plays.

He was shocking.

But more shocking was Rodgers' desicision to start him ahead of Henderson and Lucas' date=' considering Henderson has shown a lot more than him recently, he is in a better form and considering that Allen is due to undergo a shoulder operation.[/quote']

Seems Lucas was not considered fit - though being sub and getting on for 45 minutes reduces the credibility of that - and can only surmise he doesn't believe Henderson can play as a defensive midfielder.

Why he'd think Joe Allen, particularly with a weakened shoulder, is anymore suited to that role I've no idea, but if he's going to play two in the middle hope he realises by summer the balance needs to be offset by a destructive presence in there, at the very least to cover for Lucas.

His seeing in a third season with us may depend on it.

Seems Lucas was not considered fit - though being sub and getting on for 45 minutes reduces the credibility of that - and can only surmise he doesn't believe Henderson can play as a defensive midfielder.

Why he'd think Joe Allen, particularly with a weakened shoulder, is anymore suited to that role I've no idea, but if he's going to play two in the middle hope he realises by summer the balance needs to be offset by a destructive presence in there, at the very least to cover for Lucas.

His seeing in a third season with us may depend on it.

Good assessment. Putting a player who's not very big, with a weakened shoulder, in a position where physicality is a must is either taking Southampton lightly or putting the player on a hiding to nothing.

Good assessment. Putting a player who's not very big' date=' with a weakened shoulder, in a position where physicality is a must is either taking Southampton lightly or putting the player on a hiding to nothing.[/quote']

Yeah definitely, it's looking worryingly like a blind spot at the moment. Hopefully he's seen enough for it to be one of the elements he intimated in January would have to wait until the summer. If not, we'll be watching this film again.

Said it in the match thread, but Allen should be sent for his operation now, because putting him on the field after everyone knows his shoulder is fucked is not doing the lad any favours. We all know what instructions an opposition manager will be giving to his midfield.

Said it in the match thread, but Allen should be sent for his operation now, because putting him on the field after everyone knows his shoulder is fucked is not doing the lad any favours. We all know what instructions an opposition manager will be giving to his midfield.

I'd put money on him going after the international fixtures are over.

That's it in a nutshell.

Doesn't matter if he had a bad shoulder or not, he is too weak to play that position.

Does having a bad shoulder mean he can't pass well? As that was awful today!

He's injured so he's obviously not going to be playing at the level he's capable of..

Although he is the new whipping boy so no matter what he does it will be met by over the top criticism the same way other players have got it in the past. So I'm not surprised really.

He's injured so he's obviously not going to be playing at the level he's capable of..

Although he is the new whipping boy so no matter what he does it will be met by over the top criticism the same way other players have got it in the past. So I'm not surprised really.

I tell you what was over the top - the reaction after his cameo last weekend.

He didn't do much, he was decent vs Spurs. Yet I read comments on here saying he was "brilliant", "superb" etc.

That's over the top.

He is getting criticism, because he has been disappointing. He is not awful, he is a decent player - but we need better than decent.

Player usually get criticism for a reason. It is no personal agenda, everyone wants LFC to do well and that is why people give him or other criticism.

I think he seems a really sound guy, he works hard, he is very good at pressing and it is hard not to like 'him' as a person.

But I don't think he will ever be a defensive midfielder due to his size and weak frame. I also don't think we should have bought him and said so all along.

I hope when we do play him, we play him in a role that will suit him more. But there is no way I'd ever play him over Henderson, not to mention Lucas and Gerrard.

Think Allen should be judged after next season