You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rodgers likes one defensive player, one attacking player, and one "metronome" player to keep the momentum going in midfield. He's also said he wants two players competing for each position.

Yeah, I can see how Allen could be the metronome (or one of two players competing for that spot). Would you say Henderson is competing with Stevie for the attacking spot, then?

I don't think we should sell him. Because its been a long time since we've had anything resembling depth.

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you think a lot of it was about a voice in the dressing room? I do agree that he was brought in to help Rodgers' implementation of his style to be quicker and more fluid.

But would you let him go this summer if we got a decent offer (~£10m)?

I think that all new managers like someone who is sympathetic to the way they work, and whose contribution they appreciate- for me, Allen was that man.

My guess is that Rodgers will want to give Allen a second season rather than take a hit on the fee paid which would be seen to highlight a poor decision to buy in the first place.

I think that all new managers like someone who is sympathetic to the way they work, and whose contribution they appreciate- for me, Allen was that man.

My guess is that Rodgers will want to give Allen a second season rather than take a hit on the fee paid which would be seen to highlight a poor decision to buy in the first place.

Yeah, me too. The problem there is that I'd hope that the "ear in the dressing room" factor wasn't the predominant one when deciding to buy him. All managers do it, including Rafa who brought in Pellegrino - the difference being that Allen cost us £15m whilst Pellegrino cost us hardly anything.

Yeah, I can see how Allen could be the metronome (or one of two players competing for that spot). Would you say Henderson is competing with Stevie for the attacking spot, then?

I don't think we should sell him. Because its been a long time since we've had anything resembling depth.

I think he can play either to some degree, but I'm not quite clear in my mind which suits him best yet.

I'm not sure if Rodgers sees Gerrard as an attacking player though, and I'm fairly sure Gerrard doesn't either, which makes things interesting.

Whatever the case, we are probably two midfielders short of the ideal unless Suso steps up a level next season.

I think he can play either to some degree, but I'm not quite clear in my mind which suits him best yet.

I'm not sure if Rodgers sees Gerrard as an attacking player though, and I'm fairly sure Gerrard doesn't either, which makes things interesting.

Whatever the case, we are probably two midfielders short of the ideal unless Suso steps up a level next season.

Interesting you say that because I was just thinking that he has it in him to do so. His technical ability is incredible as is his composure. He may struggle to impose himself at times but with Coutinho, Luis and Sturridge, I think we'd see him really flourish. It was difficult for him to do much when we had no offensive presence at all.

Interesting you say that because I was just thinking that he has it in him to do so. His technical ability is incredible as is his composure. He may struggle to impose himself at times but with Coutinho, Luis and Sturridge, I think we'd see him really flourish. It was difficult for him to do much when we had no offensive presence at all.

Particularly as a lot of the time he was playing a wide forward position, which isn't at all his game.

I hope people aren't talking about selling Allen.

Very short-sighted. He's still only young, he's younger than Tom Cleverly even, you dont see the Mancs relying on Cleverley, they've got Kagawa.

He's barely older than Jack Rodwell, and he's still very much treated as a youngster, even with the injuries. No massive expectations.

Joe Allen will be a fantastic player for years to come, I hope.

We're such a young team, people really need to remember this, we haven't got the experience all over the place. Look at the team, how many have experience outside of our own achievements (05-08)of being part of a top side?

I'm very much sold on having a young team, but they need to be complemented by two or three experienced leaders and professionals who have won things outside of our bubble.

I'm not talking about Pellegrini experience, when they're 34 and fucked. I mean 29-31 year olds with a couple of top seasons left, who might just be seeing their contracts about to end. I think we're in a brilliant position to kick on now. Our kids are the envy of the league, within 2 years we'll have an embarrassment of riches, we just need to help focus them. This feels very much like the United kids generation, but they had old and wise heads to guide them.

Frank Lampard

Ashley Cole

Both available this Summer, both cost a fortune in wages, but...

Also should be looking at:

Xabi Alonso

Mario Gomez

David Villa

for their current contract and playing situation, allied to their experience and quality.

But also, we should be making a marquee signing, and this is very unlikely, but some great hopes like:

De Rossi (29 now, last chance of a big money move, plus we have links with Roma through FSG)

Fellaini (*winces*) (He's a leader though, someone who will push a result through.)(Apologies, but he's that 'type' of cunt we need)

Victor Wanyama (not 'experienced', but a leader, a pusher)

Walter Gargano (Uruguayan as well, bingo)

Diego Lugano (not having a great time at PSG, now 32, but a massive legend of a CB)

Gary Medel (nutcase, sent off loads in La Liga, still first pick for Sevilla when not suspended, would get sent off less in england)

Marek Hamsik (It's about time this lad left Napoli)

It's be a bit of an odd one, but maybe it's the type of signing that would be 'cheap' (wages withstanding), but just give that extra bit of quality and experience, both on the pitch and in training.

It's a potential Gary Mac signing.

We can always alternate between Gerrard and Lampard for a season or two then.

Fuck I'm a genius.

It's be a bit of an odd one, but maybe it's the type of signing that would be 'cheap' (wages withstanding), but just give that extra bit of quality and experience, both on the pitch and in training.

It's a potential Gary Mac signing.

We can always alternate between Gerrard and Lampard for a season or two then.

Fuck I'm a genius.

If its Lampard or Alonso, then there is only 1 winner.

Your previous post was excellent with many options.