You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Sugar Ape

8 minutes ago, Duff Man said:

In a world where everything is viewed through the prism of leave and remain, her position does still just about make sense (i.e. in terms of calculating potential gains for the Libs, pre and post Brexit).

She's definitely pushing the limits of credibility, though. I mean when people as politically naive (and/or forgetful) as the FBPE types begin to question your nonsense, you know you're starting to take the piss a bit.

Her stance is that she will do anything in her power to stop Brexit. 

She has a chance to do that and isn't. 

This woman is so anti-Brexit and can't forgive David Cameron for calling the referendum. 

This same woman called for a referendum to leave the EU in 2008. 

tenor.gif?itemid=9164321

1 hour ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

I am very happy with Jo Swinson and I'm amazed she's even considering making Corbyn PM, given the shocking abuse she's had to put up with from Corbynites since the day she was elected leader.

Well, I mean, one would hope she is above that. 'Ooh, some of the people who support Corbyn have called me stuff, so fuck that guy' wouldn't be the best display of 'mature politics', would it. It'd be petty and vengeful. 

On a slightly different note, You make a good point about the 'Corbyn or No Deal' thing being, at best, misleading. The PM is obliged to get an extension, if he doesn't I believe the Queen might well step in and sack him at that point. That said, it's not a long time between the 17th and the 31st for him to somehow push it over the line. Even after 6 months, he might still get it through. I dunno, it's a fucking shit show. As always, it seems, any party coming together with several others of very different views seems... impossible. Especially if they are concerned about future election results as you indicated in your other post. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Her stance is that she will do anything in her power to stop Brexit. 

She has a chance to do that and isn't. 

This woman is so anti-Brexit and can't forgive David Cameron for calling the referendum. 

This same woman called for a referendum to leave the EU in 2008. 

tenor.gif?itemid=9164321

Yeah, obviously it's bullshit, and that's what I mean when I say she's pushing the limits of credibility.

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/elections/2019/10/its-not-jo-swinson-keeping-jeremy-corbyn-leading-government-national

It’s not Jo Swinson keeping Jeremy Corbyn from leading a government of national unity

Former Labour and ex-Conservative MPs have the same concerns — and there is no force that will make them back a Corbyn government

Another day, another immeasurably tedious row about a government of national unity.

The central and under-reported sticking point is that there is no plausible candidate for the role. Jeremy Corbyn, who leads the largest opposition party, has no hope or prospect of winning a vote of confidence in this House of Commons. There are no circumstances in which former Labour MPs sitting as independents, such as John Woodcock, Ian Austin or Gavin Shuker, will vote to put a man they regard as unfit to be prime minister in No 10.

That view is similarly widespread on the Conservative side. Philip Hammond, who as chancellor of the exchequer sat on the national security council, is said to be particularly vocal in private about the significant influence that a prime minister without a majority has over day-to-day questions of security and foreign policy, while several former Conservative MPs haven’t forgotten that a terrorist attack occurred during the last general election. This group will never endorse Corbyn as a result. There is only one path to a Corbyn-led government: if in the event of a Johnson resignation, he takes office by default, without having to win a confidence vote first.

But Labour is reluctant to concede that the identity of which Labour politician takes office in a hung parliament is up for grabs, and to begin a campaign for Downing Street with a public acknowledgement that some MPs, including former members of his own party, regard him as unfit to hold that office.

What’s left is a row that is primarily about signalling more than anything else. Jo Swinson wants to reassure anti-Corbyn voters that the Liberal Democrats are a safe home for them that won’t result in Corbyn entering office through the back door. Corbyn wants to paint Swinson as a closet Conservative. It’s in both their interests to loudly talk up their respective positions — but the reality is that the people whose preferences will decide if a government of national unity is formed are the independents who sit for neither party; and no amount of cajoling will make them accept a government led by Corbyn.

"That view is similarly widespread on the Conservative side. Philip Hammond, who as chancellor of the exchequer sat on the national security council, is said to be particularly vocal in private about the significant influence that a prime minister without a majority has over day-to-day questions of security and foreign policy, while several former Conservative MPs haven’t forgotten that a terrorist attack occurred during the last general election. This group will never endorse Corbyn as a result."

At least the Tories are a bit more inventive with their bullshit.

8 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Thats an opinion based piece. I've spoke factually about her as well as my opinion SD and you have conveniently ignored them bits. As per usual. 

Yes, oddly enough, I'm not inclined to give much credibility to claims that my party are murderers.

I have no time for Swinson's politics and past voting record & think she will turn out a very poor choice of leader , but on this matter I can see where she is coming from , as I can't really see an upside to the Lib Dems whether Corbyn or the Downing Street cat ends up temporary PM. As I have said before I think it's all hot air anyway as the majority of the 21 rebel Tories are looking to get the whip back eventually & supporting an opposition VONC would be a suicide note.

14 hours ago, Pistonbroke said:

She's in all essence a Tory in the Lib Dem party, who just happens to be their leader now. She's not the only one mind, that goes for a lot of their members too. 

Yes, she's basically positioning the party as the Tory party from a few years ago (as it was under Cameron). 

• Upvote 1

Fair enough.  Having seen the full clip, he's probably not so blinkeredly anti-Corbyn that he would prefer No Deal; I'll give him the benefit of the doubt that he's the kind of fuckwit who is incapable of simply admitting a slip of the tongue. 

Of course, he could really prove his anti-No Deal credentials by supporting the only credible proposal to stop No Deal and get rid of this dangerous Government.