You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Sugar Ape

Wouldn't surprise me. Ian Duncan Smith made it so ATOS would specifically weed out people with mental illness on the points system they use to declare Incapacity Benefit. It's much harder to prove you have a mental illness than physical. They then froze those claimants benefits for up to 14 months as they awaited a tribunal and gave them the "lifeline" of signing up to Job Seekers Allowance in the meantime - knowing most would run out of money. Of course thousands signed up for JSA because people on benefits are not known for having large savings accounts (contrary to the propaganda in the Daily Mail) and as soon as they did they were declared "fit for work". A lot of them killed themselves with the stress of having their benefits froze / tribunals / or being falsely declared fit for work.

It's one of the worst tragedy's that's happened in this country for years and it's hardly spoken about. It was a social cleansing program set up by the Tories to punish the most vulnerable people in society because the bankers tanked the economy. Cameron then went to the EU and fought vociferously to stop them from capping banker bonuses. In her mind a surcharge for a plastic bag is more important than peoples lives. Which pretty much sums up the Lib Dems nonchalance during the whole escapade to a tee.

Their lack of self awareness means them still unable to see that pandering and propping up a the Tory axis of Cameron/Osborne led to the Eu referendum which produced the result they so hate.

Wouldn't surprise me. Ian Duncan Smith made it so ATOS would specifically weed out people with mental illness on the points system they use to declare Incapacity Benefit. It's much harder to prove you have a mental illness than physical. They then froze those claimants benefits for up to 14 months as they awaited a tribunal and gave them the "lifeline" of signing up to Job Seekers Allowance in the meantime - knowing most would run out of money. Of course thousands signed up for JSA because people on benefits are not known for having large savings accounts (contrary to the propaganda in the Daily Mail) and as soon as they did they were declared "fit for work". A lot of them killed themselves with the stress of having their benefits froze / tribunals / or being falsely declared fit for work.

It's one of the worst tragedy's that's happened in this country for years and it's hardly spoken about. It was a social cleansing program set up by the Tories to punish the most vulnerable people in society because the bankers tanked the economy. Cameron then went to the EU and fought vociferously to stop them from capping banker bonuses. In her mind a surcharge for a plastic bag is more important than peoples lives. Which pretty much sums up the Lib Dems nonchalance during the whole escapade to a tee.

An excellent summation! I expect Stronts to be along shortly to try to prove black is white and it's all the fault of Jeremy Corbyn!

An excellent summation! I expect Stronts to be along shortly to try to prove black is white and it's all the fault of Jeremy Corbyn!

I'm not interested in addressing a pack of lies about the past, I'll look to the future, and ask Labour why they won't reverse Tory benefit cuts, because we would reverse them.

Ouch!

Particularly this bit...

"Yet Britain’s traditional party of the middle ground is flatlining. The Liberal Democrats are polling in poor single digits, perilously close to the point where their rating is indistinguishable from the margin of error."

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/sep/09/hole-in-middle-lib-dems-will-not-fill-it-themselves?CMP=fb_gu

• 2 weeks later...

Oh dear. 

Vince Cable's conference speech has been a painful watch. Terrible jokes. Accusing May of "Kowtouting" (???) to Tory extremists. He even ballsed up his recent "erotic spasm" line and ended up saying something like "exotic sprasm." He looks quite doddery and shaky too. 

Whoever put him in front of a backdrop plastered with "Demand Better" has got some evil sense of humour on them. 

I quite like Vince Cable. There's no doubt that he's an intelligent, principled man. I disagree with him on quite a few things, but generally he's a decent enough guy. He's no leader, in my opinion, and he probably realises that having spoken about standing down already. I don't see much talent or leadership in the Lib Dems to be honest. I think they blew their chance to become the second party, which is a shame because in theory they're better than the in-practice of an electable Labour Party. 

2 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

For fuck sake...

It's just a total mess from start to finish. 

1) The originally planned line/angle of "erotic spasm" was just a bit shit and weird anyway.

2) Somebody in the Lib Dems obviously thought differently as it was briefed to all the press, suggesting it was their biggest, bestest line of Cable's conference speech.

3) Having briefed the press in such a way, Vince goes and totally ballses it up anyway. 

If they can't even deliver a two line soundbite properly, do they really expect people to take them seriously when holding themselves out as the only party capable of stopping Brexit. A desire to stop Brexit and the ability to do so are two entirely distinct concepts. The Lib Dems have one of these things, but are massively lacking in the other.