You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

EURO 2012

sir roger

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think Chelsea proved anything against Barcelona! It wasn't a great defensive performance by Chelsea, nor was it an effective holding performance, they got their arses torn asunder and through blind luck, won!

Would love to see the tactical analysis of that performance 'We basically, threw 11 men behind the ball, defended for our lives and sacrificed a few goats at half time as an offering'!

Please don't try to claim you said something that you didn't, its written in black and white. You said that the fact that they are not sweeping all aside with ease is an indication that it is getting harder for them. This is absolutely not true. They have never swept all aside with ease, your point is an irrelevance. Of course they are not nailed on winners. When they won the world cup, aside from losing to switzerland they drew with italy (as they did this time) and only beat them on penalties. The final went to extra time and they could've quite easily lost that.

If you want to quote, please quote. But don't add additional words that simply weren't there... as you say it's in black and white.

I did not say they swept all aside with ease previously, in fact at no point have I said they DID sweep all aside 'with ease'. This is your assumption, not anything I've said.

I said, they aren't sweeping all aside with ease either... it appears to be getting harder, and I stand by that.

If they go on to win it, I'll have misjudged. If they don't win it, I'll have been right in my judgment. Let's wait and see if this tournament does indeed prove to be harder for them or not. Until then, it's opinions on both sides.

No, not really.

Well yes really, the only real proof of the pudding will be in the winning or not.

There's no other measure to go by at the end of the day.

You can say "they came runners up and played better than last time", or "they played crap and won it"... but that's all subjective.

The only true objective measure is the winning it. If they don't win it, it was harder than last time.

I'll concede there's a million and one ways to interpret 'harder' but that will result in circular arguments. The only indisputable measure will be the winning.

Well yes really, the only real proof of the pudding will be in the winning or not.

You can say "they came runners up and played better than last time", or "they played crap and won it"... but that's all subjective.

The only true objective measure is the winning it. If they don't win it, it was harder than last time.

I'll concede there's a million and one ways to interpret 'harder' but that will result in circular arguments. The only indisputable measure will be the winning.

who did you support before the sheikh's took over?

Yeah, if you're happy to come to a conclusion on the back of a handful of games.

I'm not.

Lets say they get to the final against Germany and lose 2-1, having had 97.34% of the ball and 212 shots. Will that be a measure of anything?

It just seems utterly meaningless. What if they'd have got a group with Holland instead of Italy? Perhaps equally strong, if not stronger, but a more open team. Spain may well now have nine points.

I'm waffling. Basically, in my opinion, there are far too many factors, and nowhere near enough games, to come to any conclusions of real substance.

Its similar to the mongs that think Barcelona have now been "found out" on the back of a couple of games that they were extremely unlucky not to win.

If you want to quote, please quote. But don't add additional words that simply weren't there... as you say it's in black and white.

I did not say they swept all aside with ease previously, in fact at no point have I said they DID sweep all aside 'with ease'. This is your assumption, not anything I've said.

I said, they aren't sweeping all aside with ease either... it appears to be getting harder, and I stand by that.

If they go on to win it, I'll have misjudged. If they don't win it, I'll have been right in my judgment. Let's wait and see if this tournament does indeed prove to be harder for them or not. Until then, it's opinions on both sides.

The point I am making is that your point is shite. They were never, at any point, sweeping all aside with ease, so how is the fact that they are not doing so now a sign that it is getting harder? Whether they win it or not is completely irrelevant. I think the germans are going to win it.

Yeah, if you're happy to come to a conclusion on the back of a handful of games.

I'm not.

Lets say they get to the final against Germany and lose 2-1, having had 97.34% of the ball and 212 shots. Will that be a measure of anything?

It just seems utterly meaningless. What if they'd have got a group with Holland instead of Italy? Perhaps equally strong, if not stronger, but a more open team. Spain may well now have nine points.

I'm waffling. Basically, in my opinion, there are far too many factors, and nowhere near enough games, to come to any conclusions of real substance.

Its similar to the mongs that think Barcelona have now been "found out" on the back of a couple of games that they were extremely unlucky not to win.

This is exactly right. When they won the world cup they lost to switzerland for fuck sake.

Also, in 2008 they had a fully fit Toress, 2010 he was unfit, now he looks shit. But they don't have Villa, they have Negredo and Llorente who, as good as they are, are not fully fit Toress or Villa.

This is true. Like barca this season, villa will be a big miss.

This is true. Like barca this season, villa will be a big miss.

Although Barcelona should buy Llorente in my opinion.

But the blame for last night lies squarely with Croatia, although that might have something to do with me not liking Bilic and not warming to them.

If England make it into the knockout I predict they get swept aside with ease.

No they won't - haven't you watched tv or read a paper recently? Rooney is back! Rooney is back! Wayneis here to lead us to glory!

Guest davelfc

You're forgetting the contentious issue that we will use as your excuse for ever. Shrek bites someone, a sending off that was never a sending off, a goal not given, did it or didn't it cross the line, an offside opposition goal given. Too little time extra played, a player that should have had a second yellow goes and scores the winner.

It's never the fault of England, it's usually blamed on others. I hope we get bummed 9-0 or win, I'm not sure.

If England win tonight, and top the group then they can beat Italy, then I think it is Portugal who they can beat also!

My hatred for Hodgson, England fans and English Media is far outweighed by my love for Gerrard and the thought of him lifting the trophy, after all the stick he has taken from pricks who follow Engerland.

Reet confusing this tournament for me, not arsed/bordering on distaste for the team, then that first goal against Sweden had me cheering, and Sweden's second goal had me laughing.

Guest davelfc

I want our players back uninjured, I'd prefer them back as soon as possible. I'm a little torn for Gerrard lifting the trophy but as one of the only players who actually did anything in the world cup he was booed by the england mongs for the following season.

So I've decided, 9-0 bumming. Fuck england!

I'm not.

Well, in a way, I agree. The best team doesn't always win etc.

I think back to the CL and how Chelsea won it. Half of me thinks it went to the wrong team, but then again, I suppose they had a plan (of some sort) and well done to them.

It's really just a throwaway phrase that 'Spain aren't sweeping all aside with ease' and I still thank that's true. They've won, but (in my eyes) not convincingly, and certainly enough for me to think they can be beaten. It's now mushroomed into a whole argument!

I just think this tournament ain't easy for anybody, and to me, Spain don't look quite as strong as they did with Villa. It's a something and nothing argument over Spain really... not worth coming to blows over!

Although Barcelona should buy Llorente in my opinion.

But the blame for last night lies squarely with Croatia, although that might have something to do with me not liking Bilic and not warming to them.

Do you think Llorente's good enough?

He's a 1 in 3 (ish) striker, and very well built, but it'll be a step up playing the very top teams.

Could work well as a big man / little man combination though.

As for Villa, I hope he can recover - not all players come back from that. Would love to see him at City (although they're talking about Llorente).

Personally, I think Cavani's better (than Llorente) but it's a close call. I think Cavani's got more pace.

I want our players back uninjured, I'd prefer them back as soon as possible. I'm a little torn for Gerrard lifting the trophy but as one of the only players who actually did anything in the world cup he was booed by the england mongs for the following season.

So I've decided, 9-0 bumming. Fuck england!

Agree, Gerrard's going to have to be used with wisdom this next season, 'cos he just can't be there week in week out esp with Europa League to contend with.

I think this is Gerrard's England swan song mind you. Best for England and for Gerrard in my opinion.

Wasted in the England team all those years if you ask me. Best English player of his generation by a mile.

No they won't - haven't you watched tv or read a paper recently? Rooney is back! Rooney is back! Wayneis here to lead us to glory!

with ease

You're forgetting the contentious issue that we will use as your excuse for ever. Shrek bites someone

just will make it with easier

If England win tonight, and top the group then they can beat Italy,

you're mad