You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Comolli

Ted

Guest ShoePiss
There's Wenger too.. in a similar position, but not quiet that of Fergie!

I don't think folks don't want to accept Kenny's failure... I think people are just curious as to why Comolli would be fired...

IF he was choosing the players about Kenny, and the owners saw it as his fault, then fans have every right to be concerned that he was calling the shots!

IF he wasn't choosing the players, and just doing his job properly and getting the players Kenny chose... they why sack him?

Seems most believe he's been sacked as a gesture of some sort... that they are prepared to make changes... and that can ONLY be a warning that the manager will be next IF things don't improve.

As for Kenny's failings?... not done quite as well as many expected.

Same can be said for Man City

and Arsenal

and Tottenham (maybe)

and Chelsea

Truth is, the league's gotten harder in the last couple of years, because City and Spurs have thrown a spanner in the works (I'm not singing out praises, just stating). Just two extra teams in the pot have caused havoc - meaning virtually any two (except United) could lose out.

We (City) have won NOTHING this year. Could end up one hit wonders with the cup last year. So all in all, it's not great for Liverpool, but it's not a 'failure' either. IMHO

So they fired Comolli to warn Kenny? What a load of absolute crap.

They'd just tell Kenny, look if you don't perform to x,y,z we're going to have to terminate your contract. They wouldn't be like "look how serious we are! We really mean it Kenny! We just fired Comolli, you're next if you don't behave!"

• Replies 734
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's fair enough. He's making sure the books balance, instead of letting the like of Harry Redknapp sort it all out in a car park.

To be fair, Joe Jordan does the training ground stuff and Daniel Levy handles all financial matters - Harry hasn't even got the key to the petty cash.

On a day of divorces, one relationship Fenway must foster is encouraging Jamie Carragher to move on to the coaching side.

Carragher possesses many of the qualities to ascend the managerial ladder: tactical nous, motivational qualities and an ease with the media.

Liverpool's owners must find somebody capable of standing toe to toe with Kenny Dalglish - Telegraph

How laughable is that. Kenny would want to watch his back.

So they fired Comolli to warn Kenny? What a load of absolute crap.

They'd just tell Kenny, look if you don't perform to x,y,z we're going to have to terminate your contract. They wouldn't be like "look how serious we are! We really mean it Kenny! We just fired Comolli, you're next if you don't behave!"

I didn't say a warning TO Kenny, I said a warning THAT Kenny... quite different.

The gesture is to the public.... as a precursor of possible things to come.

They can't fire Kenny first... it would be suicide. They can fire Comolli (and have). THEN they can turn to the manager having given him 'more time' and backed him in the first round of changes.

It's their public display of "results haven't been good enough, and we fire people when that happens".

I didn't say a warning TO Kenny, I said a warning THAT Kenny... quite different.

They can't fire Kenny first... it would be suicide. They can fire Comolli (and have). THEN they can turn to the manager having given him 'more time' and backed him in the first round of changes.

It's their public display of "results haven't been good enough, and we fire people when that happens".

I'm not sure they're that clever.

Guest ShoePiss

You're spending far too much time thinking about it when you have virtually nothing to go on. It must be shit being a city fan.

How laughable is that. Kenny would want to watch his back.

There is much in that article.

Ayre isnt up to the job, the Comolli/Kenny nexus was doomed- and all were FSG appointments.

Carra's ambitions have been clearly stated by himself, and his family for some time now.

I'm not sure they're that clever.

Nothing clever about that really.

It's just politics really isn't it?

If they do nothing - they are useless / disinterested owners

If they sack Kenny - they've just committed suicide

If they throw more money at it - they start losing money!

What's left? - Get rid the only other PERCEIVED 'failure'... Camolli.

It relieves the short term pressure the owners and on Kenny (but increases it in the long run, because then all the blame is on Kenny).

Nothing clever at all - just 'fire someone' and make a statement (of sorts)... pretty much what happens when a government makes a mess of something, find a scapegoat, fire them... buys you a bit longer!

You're spending far too much time thinking about it when you have virtually nothing to go on. It must be shit being a city fan.

You simply misread something, made a mistake and feel a tad embarassed about it. No need to get all het up.

About 1% of the fans here (like any fan of any club) have nothing to go on... it's a forum, speculation, conjecture...

Surely you weren't under the impression anybody was in the know?

As for shit being a City fan?... yeah it can be at times. We don't win much, we've got a monster of a club next door that win everything. Part of being a fan isn't it?

Guest ShoePiss
You simply misread something, made a mistake and feel a tad embarassed about it. No need to get all het up.

About 1% of the fans here (like any fan of any club) have nothing to go on... it's a forum, speculation, conjecture...

As for shit being a City fan?... yeah it can be at times. We don't win much, we've got a monster of a club next door that win everything. Part of being a fan isn't it?

Jesus, you're wrong pal. I'm not embarrassed about it at all. You didn't make yourself clear and left it open to misinterpretation.

You're quite right it's a forum, a Liverpool one. The Liverpool part is key in me wondering why you'd spend so much time thinking up possible permutations based on your very limited information.

It relieves the short term pressure the owners and on Kenny (but increases it in the long run, because then all the blame is on Kenny).

Nothing clever at all - just 'fire someone' and make a statement (of sorts)... pretty much what happens when a government makes a mess of something, find a scapegoat, fire them... buys you a bit longer!

This is what I'm thinking,we are in a predicament and it needs to be sorted.this summer is the key though,it's going to be very interesting to see what's different without commoli in the DOF role.no point in arguing,the city fan has a very valid point

Guest ShoePiss

They didn't have to do anything at this point, the timing is strange because we don't have all of the details.

If they had done nothing, based on what we know today no one would be calling them useless or disinterested owners.

Or perhaps FSG don’t know what they are doing?

Comolli was their appointment. Twelve months ago they promoted him saying what a fantastic job he was doing. Now our poor season is his fault?

Peter Bruckner is a world class sports scientist – yet he falls out with Kenny according to The Times, and Bruckner goes.

Eighteen months on and there is no news on a stadium.

The Suarez affair was allowed to unravel unchecked.

They instigate a world-wide search for a world class CEO- and appoint the man from Huddersfield.

I think there is politics being played here, but I don’t think that it is sophisticated, and i do not think that it is all being played Stateside.

Guest ShoePiss
Pretty obvious these decisions were made earlier. One, if not a few, of the papers had this and were going to run it Saturday morning. The media made them play their hand.

You're just making stuff up.

Jesus, you're wrong pal. I'm not embarrassed about it at all. You didn't make yourself clear and left it open to misinterpretation.

You're quite right it's a forum, a Liverpool one. The Liverpool part is key in me wondering why you'd spend so much time thinking up possible permutations based on your very limited information.

'Cos football is more than any one club.

Cos what the owners of City do affects you

and what the owners of Liverpool do affects me

I love football, and I love great clubs. 'Investors' don't give a toss about the fans, and 90% of fans never look beyond their own club to see a bigger picture.

Football fans would be a lot wiser if they looked at what's really going on in the game, and not just 'what trophy have we won this year'.

The game's going to rat shit - and fairly rapidly (imo), and clubs like Liverpool and many others are having the lifeblood slowly drained from them.

There MIGHT come a time... when Liverpool (or City or any other club) actually beg for help from other clubs cos their owners have shafted them good and proper (no fault of the fans). It simply pays to see beyond your own club.

You can't have it both ways when people say "nobody gives a toss about Liverpool, or tries to understand what's going at at the club' then when someone does you're asking why they might be interested?

I'm fairly shocked that as one of only two truly 'world stage' clubs in this country you seem surprised other fans aren't interested in the goings on at the club?

Just my opinion like, but there you have it.

According to The Times, this interview resonated with the owners:

Toon chief: Carroll is worth 'f*** all'

Derek Llambias, the man who brokered the deal that made Andy Carroll the most expensive Englishman in football history, has sensationally claimed: “He’s worth f*** all!”

The Toon MD’s disparaging verdict on England striker Carroll (below) came when he was giving a group of Newcastle fans an insight into the £35million deal that took the England striker to Liverpool in January.

Llambias insists that Newcastle got the better of the deal.

The Anfield club’s first bid was £30m and Llambias told the fans: “I have to admit that £30m for Andy Carroll is a lot of money.”

When one supporter asked him “Is he worth £30m?” Llambias responded: “No — he’s worth f*** all.” He then explains that after rejecting the £30m offer, Newcastle refused to sell even for £35m unless Liverpool paid the entire fee up front.

A move that forced Liverpool to ask Chelsea to increase their first instalment of the £50m they had already agreed to pay for Fernando Torres!

Llambias explained: “It is about control.

“We had the control. We knew the Torres deal was there.

“We drew that f****** deal, perhaps the ultimate.

“So £30m? F*** off! Don’t waste my time and I slammed the phone down.

“£35m? Everybody including Pardew [manager Alan Pardew] all agreed.

“But the £35m they wanted to pay over four years. It was rubbish. Mike (Ashley) said — and he is a brave boy Mike I promise you — get all the £35m up front.

“We got it all up front and then they never paid us on time and we charged them 12 grand f****** interest.”

Still can't believe it. £35m. Tear inducing.

Or perhaps FSG don’t know what they are doing?

Comolli was their appointment. Twelve months ago they promoted him saying what a fantastic job he was doing. Now our poor season is his fault?

Peter Bruckner is a world class sports scientist – yet he falls out with Kenny according to The Times, and Bruckner goes.

Eighteen months on and there is no news on a stadium.

The Suarez affair was allowed to unravel unchecked.

They instigate a world-wide search for a world class CEO- and appoint the man from Huddersfield.

I think there is politics being played here, but I don’t think that it is sophisticated, and i do not think that it is all being played Stateside.

Well, clearly they're not 'stupid' people... based on their track record but I do think English football and the press and the passion are simply more complex than they initially assumed. Americans have been known to be supremely naive sometimes - once outside of the USA! and, it's clear Liverpool isn't their main project, so they're not fully focussed on it.

Suarez was a good example. Within a couple of says the story got way out of hand (revved up by the media), by the time they tried to kill it, it was too late. British media really can whip up a frenzy more than their American Sports papers.... so yeah, maybe don't (or didn't) know what they were doing in that respect.

Could be worse you could be an evertonian as there are similarities apart from you have loadsa dosh and everton have,well erm.........

Guest ShoePiss
'Cos football is more than any one club.

Cos what the owners of City do affects you

and what the owners of Liverpool do affects me

I love football, and I love great clubs. 'Investors' don't give a toss about the fans, and 90% of fans never look beyond their own club to see a bigger picture.

Football fans would be a lot wiser if they looked at what's really going on in the game, and not just 'what trophy have we won this year'.

The game's going to rat shit - and fairly rapidly (imo), and clubs like Liverpool and many others are having the lifeblood slowly drained from them.

There MIGHT come a time... when Liverpool (or City or any other club) actually beg for help from other clubs cos their owners have shafted them good and proper (no fault of the fans). It simply pays to see beyond your own club.

You can't have it both ways when people say "nobody gives a toss about Liverpool, or tries to understand what's going at at the club' then when someone does you're asking why they might be interested?

I'm fairly shocked that as one of only two truly 'world stage' clubs in this country you seem surprised other fans aren't interested in the goings on at the club?

Just my opinion like, but there you have it.

Fucking hell I'll remember never to engage you again, I really can't be arsed. It appears you've had one too many caffeine tablets.

Well, clearly they're not 'stupid' people... based on their track record but I do think English football and the press and the passion are simply more complex than they initially assumed. Americans have been known to be supremely naive sometimes - once outside of the USA! and, it's clear Liverpool isn't their main project, so they're not fully focussed on it.

Suarez was a good example. Within a couple of days the story got way out of hand (revved up by the media), by the time they tried to kill it, it was too late. British media really can whip up a frenzy more than their American Sports papers.... so yeah, maybe don't (or didn't) know what they were doing in that respect.

To be clear, FSG are decent solvent owners.

FSG is an investment club for a group of very wealthy individuals, all with Boston connections and LFC is small change to them- it's a modest punt.

I certainly do not think they are stupid. I do question their knowledge of football, the British and European game and their understanding of football culture.

I understand from club staff that in the first 18 months of their ownership JW and TW have been at the club physically less than G&H.

The majority of FSG will never visit Anfield. The friendly against Roma is designed specifically to allow FSG to see the team play.

I am not anti-FSG, they saved us when no-one else would. But i have always been aware of their limitations which are slowly becoming increasingly exposed.

To be clear, FSG are decent solvent owners.

FSG is an investment club for a group of very wealthy individuals, all with Boston connections and LFC is small change to them- it's a modest punt.

I certainly do not think they are stupid. I do question their knowledge of football, the British and European game and their understanding of football culture.

I understand from club staff that in the first 18 months of their ownership JW and TW have been at the club physically less than G&H.

The majority of FSG will never visit Anfield. The friendly against Roma is designed specifically to allow FSG to see the team play.

I am not anti-FSG, they saved us when no-one else would. But i have always been aware of their limitations which are slowly becoming increasingly exposed.

I do wonder if American sport turns more slowly than football. By that, I mean at most clubs, the tide can turn within what... 2 months? 10 games? possibly less if it's 10 defeats. 10 defeats on the bounce will see 90% of managers sacked and fans screaming.

Maybe they underestimate the 'maintenance' of football club - that it can turn sour within weeks, rather than a couple of bad seasons, and sooner or later their 'relatively small project' becomes a bit of a thorn in their side.

I can't help but feel, overall, that any investor worth their salt, who really wanted a return on their money is a) Choosing the wrong investment in a football club, or b) Can only make a decent return at the expense of the club

It's ok if you're Abramovich or the Sheik and there's no return expected, but when you have shareholders and expected profits... it's another matter.

And if you can't do it at Liverpool, where the hell can you?... it's a top 10 world club by anybody's reckoning and top 5 by many (heritage / success / revenue / brand all rolled up).

Welcome Fanchester City. I've been reading this thread to catch up and I've found your comments fair and balanced. It helps to have the perspective of a fan from another club. Usually different fans come on here for a wind up, but clearly that's not you. For that (and because I really can't stand them!) I hope your boys pip Man Utd to the title. Their defeat to Wigan opened up the possibility again, provided you beat them. Good luck.

As for the news about Comolli, I never thought FSG wanted Kenny in the first place. They brought Comolli in and he should have worked with a younger manager like AVB, Blanc, Deschamps, that sort of fella. Unfortunately Hodgson couldn't even keep us steady, and so FSG had to act. By that point Kenny was called on, and he did so well in the second half of last season he got a longer deal.

As for this season it has been well below what we expected. We were filled with so much promise for this campaign after what we saw last year, but if anything we've gone backwards, cup competitions notwithstanding.

I agree with your analysis that FSG cannot touch Kenny as that would be suicide. Fans are starting to show division over Kenny, which tells a story, but if FSG pulled the trigger everyone would unite against them.

My best guess is they've told Kenny a new man is coming in. Kenny genuinely does love the club and he will have a role upstairs if he wants it, though it will be in a non Executive role. If I were to guess who the new man will be I would go for Rafa. He has unfinished business at the club and his methodological manner, attention to detail, availability, love of the club, knowledge of the game, tactical prowess and all the rest of it, will appeal to FSG. Kenny knows Rafa loves the club so he will hand over as it has not gone so well for Kenny in his first full season back.

The big variable I see is that Kenny might want to stay on, and if that door is still ajar, perhaps a second cup, plus a stronger end to the season in the league, will mean FSG persist with Kenny.

We will see what happens, but that would be my take on it.