You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Windows 7 restore/wipe/reinstall

Right nerds, I need some advice.

A friend messed his laptop sound drivers up and asked me to look at it for him. I agreed, thinking it would be simple, but this laptop is a virus ridden heap of shit. Its a packard bell, probably about 2 years old tops, with barely anything installed on it bar windows 7, office 2007 and skype etc, but it finds simple tasks almost impossible (internet browsing etc).

Norton etc has basically seized up and most operations on the computer are not worth attepmting as it will take an age, or freeze. As there is nothing to lose on the HDD, I want to wipe it and start again, only it didn't come with any windows discs etc, he didn't make any recovery discs when he got the laptop, and he didn't personally create any restore points of note.

Is there a way to restore the system to factory setup? Can I d/l a copy of windows & and just used the key on the bottom of the latop for a fresh install? Any other ideas?

I have very limited experience in windows 7 and don't really know any of the security procedures etc put in place but surely d/ling a copy of the same version of windows and using my legitimate key wouldn't be that out of the question? Or are Microsoft really that fucking awkward?

Much love,

ROTOQ

Press F8 at bootup, should be an option to repair computer. should take you to a menu where you can do a system restore or a full factory restore.

Spank you very much GC.

Will try that when I get home. I think I already went through that process but must have deviated as I did a restore to a date in November, and it seems it was just as fucked then. I'll look for the factory restore option this time.

Oh and reppity repped.

I also seem to remember that after my initial restore, the laptop wouldn't let me boot into advanced bootup menu (F8).

Do you happen to know if downloading a copy of Windows and reinstalling from disk would work? Would the same key work?

It probably will not. I don't know the precise details but the keys now appear to be tied to the manufacturer and type (OEM, Retail, Dell, etc). So if you have a retail disk your PB OEM key won't work. Maybe George or Uncle Meat know the details about how to work around it.

Have you tried to run the packard bell restore utility (from the windows menu) rather than restore through the windows F8 boot mechanism?

It probably will not. I don't know the precise details but the keys now appear to be tied to the manufacturer and type (OEM, Retail, Dell, etc). So if you have a retail disk your PB OEM key won't work. Maybe George or Uncle Meat know the details about how to work around it.

Have you tried to run the packard bell restore utility (from the windows menu) rather than restore through the windows F8 boot mechanism?

You can download the same version of windows 7 be it home/premium etc.

When it comes to activation phone microsoft (activate over telephone -freephone) and explain the situation how you have a legit serial but no disk. Voila

I have done this on a couple of occasions for people.

Failing that search for 'remove WAT', piece of piss.

Spank you very much GC.

Will try that when I get home. I think I already went through that process but must have deviated as I did a restore to a date in November, and it seems it was just as fucked then. I'll look for the factory restore option this time.

Oh and reppity repped.

Should work in theory unless the system restore / recover partition is damaged / compromised by a virus, which it would appear to be !

Reset to factory settings and installed most up to date driver from PB website. The internal mic still isnt picking up sound though.

If i plug an external mic, it works fine.

if you managed to do a factory restore you shouldn't need to bother with updating drivers. Unless there is a fault with the laptop, everything should work as if it was brand new

I gave him a mouse designed for use with VOIP (mic, speaker and software). It works and solves his problem. I'm annoyed though. I'm baffled as to why the mic isn't working, unless it's a hardware fault. I would be very hesitant about opening the laptop up, when his problem has a perfect workaround, but I'm tempted to buy a mic for the laptop off eBay and fit it.

Oh and thanks and rep to all who helped.