You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest The Big Green Bastard

What makes me chuckle at work is that everyone expects the xmas bonus. I mean, it's a bonus ffs and should not be relied upon as part of your salary. These are the same mongs that moan there's no overtime and that they can't afford to live without it!

It's all about living within your means and not beyond.

What makes me chuckle at work is that everyone expects the xmas bonus. I mean, it's a bonus ffs and should not be relied upon as part of your salary. These are the same mongs that moan there's no overtime and that they can't afford to live without it!

Yeah, when I worked in the private sector last, about 11 years ago; the job I had gave pretty good bonuses at Crimbo.

Somewhere in the region of £3000 to 4000. Which even now would be good. Nevermind 1999/2000. I being straight out of uni, was exceedingly grateful for such a bonus, or to be honest anything at all extra. Most people had it spent or earmarked before it was confirmed.

I'm not sure if it was a sign of ungratefulness, expectation or that most people were living beyond their means. I'm pretty sure it wasnt being underpaid, because the salary was good for the work and had enough side benefits (booze, entertainment, perks, free stuff etc).

That was probably the worst I've ever seen as a workforce living beyond its means though. I in graduate position had a similar salary to some of the older admin type staff, and the way they spent on kids, holidays, Crimbo etc was scary. Ok some had a house paid off or partner earning too. But most weren't comfortable or well off. They were extravagant mongs.

I know the point you're making BGB but after 5 years of consistency in the matter to be told simply "not this year guys" the week we normally get it was a big of a shock

Company I used to work for paid decent bonuses. They were expected to because they used it as a beating stick when asked why they paid so little in wages. Then they stopped paying bonuses and people got pissed off and they used the 'it's a bonus, get over it' line.

Guest The Big Green Bastard
I know the point you're making BGB but after 5 years of consistency in the matter to be told simply "not this year guys" the week we normally get it was a big of a shock

I too feel your pain, especially as middle management and above will no doubt receive a bonus of some sort as ours do. Our situation is that we are being made redundant and the guy in charge keeps his job and gets a fat cheque for completing the outsourcing aswell as a sideways promotion to a different dept.

There was talk of a xmas party in our place, everybody replied 'fuck off! why celebrate losing our jobs? just give us cash instead!'.

I've had enough of working for 'the man' and will go self-employed for the first time in my life, at least i can then reap the rewards i truly deserve for my own hard work. Every company i have worked for (about 7 in all) has eventually shutdown, i just can't take this attitude anymore from employers that use and abuse staff with not a single thanks for the work that has been done.