You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Mellor to Crewe?

aws

Could be good for him. They play good football and he'll get lots of chances to stick the ball in the net. Cant help thinking at this age though he has to make the breakthrough with us soon.

As much as I like Mellor, I don't think he will ever get a chance to have a run of games. Next season he will be behind Owen,Cisse,Baros and Sinama (if they are all still around).

Crewe would be a good team for him to go to. Good fans, good footballing team, no real pressure, and I'm sure Gradi would give him a fair go. I'm sure Mellor would bang them in, in Div1 if given a proper chance.

I'm more concerned that Welsh,Otsemobor and Raven get a chance in the near future.

Weird. I was actually going to do a post a couple of weeks ago about how a loan spell with Crewe would be perfect for Mellor. He'd be a first team regular in a team that plays good football, and Gradi would be able bring his game on more than another season in our reserves ever could. Good deal all round, I reckon.

A Crewe fan mailed a few weeks ago saying that he'd heard Gradi was interested in him, and I'd heard from elsewhere they were keen.

I haven't asked Mellor, but when I asked him about the Coventrry rumours when he was at West Ham he kept saying he didn't want to go back out on loan, he just wanted to stay here and learn his trade with Rushy and keep scoring for the ressies.

Think he'd go if he was told to, but ideally he'd want to stay here next season.

From http://www.liverpoolfc.tv

Dario Gradi has described transfer target Neil Mellor as an 'ideal signing' as he looks to sign the Liverpool youngster on loan.

According to Crewe's official website, the 21-year-old striker has been in talks with the Alex boss this week about a possible move to Gresty Road next season and Dario is excited about the youngsters possible arrival.

"I have spoken to Gerard Houllier and he has given me permission to talk to Neil about coming here on loan next season." Dario told http://www.crewealex.net. "He would be an ideal signing for us and would fit the mould very well. He is a young man who is eager to improve. He is just up our street, the right age, talented and very ambitious. It is no secret that I have been looking to add to my goalscoring options and Neil is just that - a goalscorer."

Mellor has scored 47 goals in 47 games at Reserve level for Liverpool over the past few seasons and has netted 10 in his last four games in the FA Premier Reserve League.

"We're optimistic we can bring him here and that is a massive boost because we couldn't afford to sign a player of Neil's quality. He has three years left on his contract at Liverpool and he is desperate to play in their first team. If he is going to do that then he should be able to come here and comfortably cope with life in the First Division. We tried to get him here on loan just before the deadline but we couldn't do it because of his spell at West Ham. He knew of our interested and wanted to come and I thought some common sense might have prevailed but the rules said he couldn't. It was harsh for him because he wasn't required at West Ham after their change of manager, but a loan deal would suit us we just need to decide on the length."

Maybe a 3-6 month loan would be a better deal. We could always extend it, and if Mellor was doing very well at Crewe we might want him back around Christmas time.

By all accounts he was terrible at west ham, and one of thier fanzine editors recently voted him the flop of the season for them. I don't think he'll ever be good enough for a title chasing side and don't see the point, from his point of view as well as ours, of not moving on permanently?