You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BBC Sport - Arsenal v Liverpool

TEAM NEWS

Arsenal will be without Gervinho and Alex Song, both of whom begin three-match bans.

Kieran Gibbs, Johan Djourou, Tomas Rosicky and Armand Traore are all ruled out through injury, while Jack Wilshere and Abou Diaby also remain sidelined.

Liverpool full-back Glen Johnson could return from the hamstring injury he picked up in pre-season.

Steven Gerrard is the only definite major absentee as he continues his rehabilitation from a groin problem.

MATCH PREVIEW

It's 11 years since Titi Camara's solitary goal gave Liverpool their last win at Arsenal. Critics of the Gunners who have been quick to play up the "crisis" at the Emirates would have us believe that this is the perfect time for the Merseysiders to end that run. Arsenal are definitely up against it this weekend, but I don't believe it's time for them to fire off an SOS yet.

Cesc Fabregas has gone. At last one of the most boring sagas in English football has come to an end. It's now time for Arsenal to move on. It'll be hard in this game, especially without Alex Song, who is quite rightly banned for stamping on Joey Barton. With Jack Wilshere injured, Arsene Wenger has no-one else to anchor the midfield.

I'll go for another draw and predict that these sides will be fighting it out for fourth right until the last day.

Even without Steven Gerrard, Liverpool look strong and well balanced in midfield and that will be a key area. Up front the visitors have the firepower to really worry Arsenal. Andy Carroll has the height and power to bully them just as Didier Drogba has done so often in the past. If Stewart Downing can deliver accurate service from wide positions, I'll take Carroll to get off the mark for the season. Luis Suarez also looked very sharp against Sunderland last weekend.

I've had a small bet on the Uruguayan to finish as the Premier League's top scorer. But my main money for the Golden Boot has gone on Robin van Persie and his return from a European ban will be crucial.

I'm still not convinced about the Liverpool defence and the Dutchman has scored 20 goals in his last 22 games. If he stays fit and Arsenal spend their transfer cash well, then they'll still have enough to finish in the top four and possibly edge out the resurgent Anfield Reds. This fixture finished 1-1 last season with two dramatic late penalties. I'll go for another draw and predict that these sides will be fighting it out for fourth right until the last day.

MATCH FACTS

Head-to-head

It is 11-and-a-half years since Liverpool's last win at Arsenal, a 1-0 victory in February 2000. The Merseyside club have never won at the Emirates.

Last season's corresponding fixture saw the latest goals scored in Premier League history. Arsenal took the lead with a penalty in the eighth minute of stoppage time, only for Liverpool to equalise with a spot-kick of their own four minutes later.

Liverpool have won only three of their last 20 Premier League games against Arsenal, and none of the last eight.

There have been more hat-tricks scored in this fixture than any other in Premier League history (five).

Arsenal

Arsenal are unbeaten in their first home league game of a season since 2001, winning in each of the last four years.

According to Opta, Arsenal won 64% of their league matches with Cesc Fabregas in the starting XI last season, but only 31% without him.

Arsenal conceded a higher proportion of goals from set-pieces (53.5%) than any other team in the Premier League last season.

Theo Walcott is poised to make his 200th club career appearance.

Liverpool

Liverpool had the best head-to-head record between "Big Four" clubs last season, winning three of their six league meetings and picking up 11 points.

They have averaged a point per game from their last 14 away matches.

Liverpool have scored 36 goals in 19 league games under Kenny Dalglish, whereas when Roy Hodgson was in charge they mustered only 24 in 20.

Andy Carroll is set to make his 100th career league appearance.

Dirk Kuyt is looking for his 50th Premier League goal.

Jonathan Pearce

If you offered Reds boss Kenny Dalglish a draw at the Emirates now, he would probably take it. Yes, you can say it is a good time to play Arsenal because of their problems but you could argue the same about Liverpool while their new players settle in and get their fitness sorted out.

From Mark Lawrsenson, the utter spastic.

Lawro's spot on there. If we start the same lineup as last week, we will be lucky to walk away with a draw.

I would bring in Kuyt, Kelly and Meireles for Carroll, Flanagan and Henderson. All were woeful last week and with us guaranteed to sit deep we'll need the extra bodies in midfield.

Lawro's spot on there. If we start the same lineup as last week, we will be lucky to walk away with a draw.

I would bring in Kuyt, Kelly and Meireles for Carroll, Flanagan and Henderson. All were woeful last week and with us guaranteed to sit deep we'll need the extra bodies in midfield.

Stick to the underworld, kiddo.

Stick to eating paint chips instead of posting bollocks, cheers.

If anyone needs convincing that we're not gonna win tomorrow, I just dropped my entire PP account (not an insignificant sum) @ 15/8 on us to win.

If there was ever an omen that we're fucked, that's it!

On the subject of gambling, it might be worth a sly punt on Spurs beating the mancs at the toilet, I reckon.

Am I the only one who thought carroll was excellent first half last week?

Who the fuck is this miyachi cunt? is he anything to mister miyachi?

18 year old Japanese winger. He's fast, and tall... his dribbling is ok, but he's only a worry if he's running at you, like all players with pace, it'll be a worry but He's not got the delivery or ability to consistently beat players yet, and his shooting didn't look great.

He might develop it, or he might not...

Because of where i'm living now... I've watched a lot of Japanese NT stuff, and saw him in the Japanese U19 games.

He's getting bigged up by Abs, and other Arsenal supporters, but he's far from the finished product.

I'm very nervous about this match, always hate when we're expected to win against a top side.

Same, feels like a mass jinxing is going on sometimes. Can't decide either way personally, will just watch and see what happens. I think the players Arsenal can field are being underestimed though, and when a team is under pressure like they are we all know it can have the opposite effect sometimes and make them play better. Just hoping if we score first we really pile the pressure on to go for a second instead of sitting back.