You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Downing to be our last signing this summer?

alihill

Over at Football365 - admittedly not the bastion of accurate football news - they are covering some recent comments by Commolli this morning that "we have done most of the business we would like to this summer":

He told the club's official website: "It's difficult to say. I'm sure there will be players going out because some players would like to play more and have more minutes. We will probably have a few loans as well, players who we would like them to develop, into the Championship or the leagues abroad.

"In terms of players coming in, it's difficult to say. I think we are going to sit down, look at the situation, see where we are, see who might leave and then we will reassess later. But we have done most of what we wanted to do."

He continued: "What we are very pleased about is that we are still early in July. We've played only one game pre-season, and we've got a lot of players in. That will allow Steve (Clarke), Kevin (Keen) and Kenny to work well with the players straight away and not have to wait until the end of August, like sometimes you have to do.

"It's good for team building and it's good for the tactical work they have to do. Also, the players are from the Premier League, so we know they will settle in quickly at the club. Jordan is coming back on Monday and he can't wait."

Hopefully these comments are just meant to cool transfer talk in what is an over-heating market, and perhaps just move away from that impression Liverpool are a club happy to burn ££ at present. I think it's clear that we have paid a little over the odds in cases, and clubs are happy to quote us outrageous prices. Maybe if we suggest we're out the market now it may mean we can do a bit better business on the DL.

On the flipside, if there's some truth in this, I'm worried. Yes we did well in the run in last season, but we had all the Kenny adrenaline and no pressure. Once the pressure kicks in I think things will get way harder and we'll need a significantly stronger squad. We need at least 2 defenders, definately one centre back, and probably another attacking midfidler or striker.

I'd say at present our squad is about as strong as spurs, without defensive and striking reinforcements I can't see past 5th.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope we aren't done. We need a LB and probably a CB too if Kelly isn't moving inside. Also a back up striker and another pacy/creative winger/player.

Looking at the list of players I still think we need, I am even further stumped as to why we have bought two CMs for £25m or so.

And I probably agree, I am not sure if that team if strong enough over a season for a top four finish. Hope I am very wrong!

It makes sense to now shift some shite before adding to the wage bill.

We already have a massive squad so it needs trimming.

No doubt we will do a few sales over the next week or so before signing some more players.

Guest Gucci_Ledge

Yeah we've spent £45m without income from CL, so understandable that they will want to shift a few now before committing for more expense. People who aren't going to play games need to be shipped out, surely someone is willing to pay £3m for Cole. He's been poor but he's actually had a great career and for a smaller club that type of signing brings people through the turnstiles. Jovanovic will eventually leave. I think we may be stuck with Ngog and Poulsen, Ngog will be 4th choice striker for one season then go on a free, Poulsen i can see being here for years though. seems quite happy to sit on his arse the cunt.

CB is the most important position left to fill IMO. Carra's not getting any younger and Agger is perma-fucked. In fact it'd be worth including him in a swap deal if we can find anyone stupid enough to overlook his injury record. Agger + £8m for Frank Hummels.

You wouldn't see it being a problem going into the season with no left back to speak of then Section?

I'm happy with Johnson in that role to be honest Zig. I saw nothing in the last few months to suggest he's not capable of fulfilling that role, and he won't be the first right-footed player to have made that conversion. I also personally think fullback is the least important position on the pitch, it's not exactly a league that's teaming with outstanding wide players. Tall and aggressive centre-forwards though, this league has by the bucket load. If we're short at CB this year we'll suffer big time.

I'm happy with Johnson in that role to be honest Zig. I saw nothing in the last few months to suggest he's not capable of fulfilling that role, and he won't be the first right-footed player to have made that conversion. I also personally think fullback is the least important position on the pitch, it's not exactly a league that's teaming with outstanding wide players. Tall and aggressive centre-forwards though, this league has by the bucket load. If we're short at CB this year we'll suffer big time.

I think if we get Dann at a reasonable price (£7-8m) we'll sign him, but we'll be top heavy in that department, Agger(I know) Carra, Skertl Soto, even Wilson Ayala and Kelly if required, we could do with getting rid of the Greek and 1 other if we get in another CB

I think they were expecting some of the dead wood to go. They are so poor nobody wants them, and we are stuck paying their inflated wages.

Pretty much how I see it, the return of the loan players has highlighted the amount of shit were stuck with and because we can't shift them we may have to move on 1 of our better players in Raul

Fair enough mate. Not sure I would have my priorities that way round, but I can see where you are coming from and ideally we would strengthen both positions. It would be sad to again be coming out of a summer where we knew specific positions needed reinforcing having mainly bought midfielders. But I don't think that's what we'll do and I reckon we will buy at least one defender, maybe two and a striker as well.

Well that "whoever it is" is the problem. Whilst I think Johnson and Kelly can probably play the full back positions adequately, I would be concerned about over-exposing our youngsters in the case of injury to Johnson, say. We do have senior cover at centre back, even if it's not great.

Guest davelfc

I still think we have our eye on a left back, only going on recent rumours (Cissokho) and then I believe we will have to sell to buy in order to improve the squad further.

Doesn't seem unreasonable at all considering Kenny has been buy who he wants. It makes a refreshing change in many ways that we have what is a considerable amount of time in order to find homes for our runts.

Guest Jon Snow

CB and LB be nice but we can manage with no LB its the CB we need 100% imo we need a quick CB who is confident on the ball.

I posted who i want in other thread so i won't bang on about it.

Guest San Don

These owners have done things right. Instead of saying 'we need to sell before we buy' they have addressed yet another issue that previous owners wouldnt or couldnt. and for that Im very thankful.

There's no doubt some players will be moved on one way or another. The only question is how many will go as their wages will be a stumbling block. I'd say we'd accept realistic bids for NGog, Aquilani, Cole, Insua. We'll probably end up paying off degen, zahar and a few others like jovanovic just to get rid.

I wouldnt be surprised if we do keep aquilani and insua though. When insua first appeared he played well imo. He got loads of shit, just like lucas when the team overall played poorly.

The lad may not be the quickest but if he could turn it around like lucas, well, you never know.

I dont think we are getting enrique especially if he's look for CL football short term.

I think if we can sign an LB for around 10m the owners will splash the cash again before selling.

Just my honest opinion though.