You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Center backs for next season?

Tia

What should we do?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. What should we do?

• Promote Kelly, Wisdom and Ayala for our back up's next year?
    • Or are they not ready and we need to sign another center back to compete?
    • Or Undecided?

im undecided on centre backs really, if we could be confident of Agger playing enough him and Carra would be as good a first choice pair as any but unfortunatly we can't and while Skrtel would be fine as third choice I'd rather not have to rely on him every game as he does have poor spells, think we should let Soto go but can see him sitting out the last year of his contract and would be interested to see Kelly get some games there this season

It will be Carra plus one again. The Greek got his contract extension so he'll still be hanging around. I'd be more tempted to sell Skrtel than Agger even though the latter is a physical wreck.

We're told Kelly can play at centre back, but I'm betting not many have ever really seen him play there. Ayala didn't impress me much when he did.

Think everyone is waiting to see if City go for Cahill. I'd prefer Scott Dann anyway.

carra + agger with kelly covering either of them would be great. for me its carra's last year as a first choice starter and it would great for kelly to learn his trade playing around both of them

agger can teach him the calm in possesion type of game and carra can teach him raw defending. skrtel can cover any of them so we now have 4 centre backs.....

is that enough you think?

Good question.

I's go with Carra and Skrtel/Agger with Kelly also filling in for games to start getting used to the role he will hopefully eventually occupy.

If Aggers as injury prone this season as last then he's out the door straight away. I'd like to see us sign another one but there are other areas to look at, namely LB and wingers.

I wouldn't have the Greek anywhere near first team inless we're desperate.

I think we'll play three centre backs in a lot of games next season, particularly away. It was always a Kenny tactic in his first spell as manager and he used it a very well last season a couple of times. It's probably a transition season for Carragher, although he finished strongly last term. I'd like to see Kelly get his chance and my big worry is our ability to defend dead balls into the area - and no,no,no - the Greek never was and never will be good enough. It's obviously a priority, otherwise, why the effort with Jones?

Carra is still our best centre half by a fair distance. Personally I'd pick Agger alongside when fit as they complement each other perfectly.

I wasn't too keen on Skrtel at first as there were too many rash tackles for my liking, but I thought he matured a fair bit towards the end of last season, so any time he is in the team for either Carra or Agger is fine by me.

The Greek is useful, certainly against the likes of a Stoke or a Bolton where you know at least part of the match is an ariel battle.

I like Kelly a lot, looks very good at right back but not really seen anything of him an centre to say if he's good emough or not. I'd like to see that this year, early cup rounds if possible.

Having said all that I'd sign one as:

a.) Carragher getting on and may need a breather at some point.

b.) Agger will probably be injured for a while.

c.) The Greek isn't good enough when playing against decent strikers with a bit of movement.

Also, how pointless is 'not bothered' as a choice? If you're not bothered, why vote at all?