You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Internet tv network connection

Dr.Filth

I've just bought new Sony internet telly but I'm having trouble connecting it to my network.

I had a look on AV forums and the first post explains about difficulty with Virgin Media broadband and how to get around it.

However, I don't have a clue what the guy is talking about so was wondering if any of you kind techies could explain in laymans terms......

For anyone on Virgin cable for their internet access, note that you'll need to connect this TV via a router - normally whatever router you were using before for other PCs in the house.

In my case this meant moving the (wired not wireless) router from my son's room to a location near the TV. The cable modem was already located near the TV.

(an ethernet cable then originally connected it to the router in my lad's bedroom).

In my son's room a simple network switch now replaces the router, providing the connections to other PCs and gameboxes in the house.

The reason for this is that Virgin can only handle a single MAC address - which in this case is the MAC address of the router and is what the Virgin infrastructure will "see" when interrogating my setup; it sees that via the router's WAN port.

So I made these changes and it worked straight away - and all the other network connected gear in the house also worked as normal.

Now, my modem already has a wireless router connected to it as it's downstairs connected to my V+hd box and my PC is upstairs. So I followed the original instructions by putting an ethernet cable from the router to the TV LAN port and it keeps saying connection failed.

Is he saying I need another router between the tv and Virgin router? There's also a LAN port on my virgin box, do I have to connect that too?

Any help would be much appreciated.

If your on Virgin all you need is a basic router.

You would plug the router into your cable modem which Virgin supplied to you. Then plug everything else into the router. You wouldn't need to do anything with the lan output on your cable box.

That's exactly what I did but it just won't connect for some reason.

It should just see it straight away once you run the network setup on the tv.

We are on Virgin and running my PC and Laptop, parents laptop, PS3 etc. all through the same router and everything connects straight up.

If you log into your router can you see the tv connected to it?

Dynamite has a Sony which is connected to the internet so might have a better idea, I'm getting one but not actually spent the cash and had to connect it up yet.

It should just see it straight away once you run the network setup on the tv.

We are on Virgin and running my PC and Laptop, parents laptop, PS3 etc. all through the same router and everything connects straight up.

If you log into your router can you see the tv connected to it?

Dynamite has a Sony which is connected to the internet so might have a better idea, I'm getting one but not actually spent the cash and had to connect it up yet.

It asks for a user name & password. I've put my email address and password and it's rejected it. Haven't a clue what to put in now.

Mine was plug and play. I had no prompts for passwords, etc....

I've not really used it since I hooked it up initially, more of a bonus feature for me.

That's pretty much what I would have expected, plug it in, tell the tv it's wired and then leave it to it.

Sorry mate, I managed to log in to router after looking at the bottom of router.

The tv is not connected to it.

Sounds to me and going by what Al had said that there is no reason why it shouldn't connect.

I would try running the network setup on the tv just on the off chance it hasn't picked it up for some reason.

If that doesn't work try the cable that goes to your pc in the telly and re run setup in case it is just a dodgy network cable.

Aside from that I'm pretty much stumped now I'm afraid.

That's pretty much what I would have expected, plug it in, tell the tv it's wired and then leave it to it.

Sounds to me and going by what Al had said that there is no reason why it shouldn't connect.

I would try running the network setup on the tv just on the off chance it hasn't picked it up for some reason.

If that doesn't work try the cable that goes to your pc in the telly and re run setup in case it is just a dodgy network cable.

I can't remember any set up when I plugged mine in. Just stuck the ethernet cable into the back of the TV, hit the Internet Video button on the remote, and hey presto, Internet TV....

Been running network set up a few times and it just won't connect, I agree it should be pretty straightforward.

I'll try another cable tomorrow, gotta get ready for work now.

Thanks anyway.

I can't remember any set up when I plugged mine in. Just stuck the ethernet cable into the back of the TV, hit the Internet Video button on the remote, and hey presto, Internet TV....

While I've been researching for buying mine I was looking at all the manuals (yes I know I am a sad, sad individual) for the port layouts and stuff. Seems that you now have to run a network setup on them and tell it if it is wired or wireless.

Been running network set up a few times and it just won't connect, I agree it should be pretty straightforward.

I'll try another cable tomorrow, gotta get ready for work now.

Thanks anyway.

To be honest it sounds most likely that it is going to be something daft like a cable because most stuff now is just plug in and go with very little fucking about.

Ta for the replies lads, I finally got it up and running with a new cable.

I love it, no more watching Treme on a 20" monitor!

I'm still trying to be sensible and not take the plunge on mine till I actually start the new job. Thing is the money is in the bank doing nothing at the moment.....................

Have a look on Amazon Marketplace mate, I picked this up for £260 delivered in 'as new' condition. I was a little apprehensive when I ordered it on Saturday but it arrived yesterday morning in immaculate condition other than a hole in the box. Even the sony security seal was intact!! And if you're not happy Amazon will take it back within 30 days.

The one drawback is that you only get a 90 day warranty but I was willing to take a chance as I reckon I've saved about £200.

It's tempting me greatly!

Already on my wish list, just need to sort out what I am doing bracket wise and then find a dvd player and a video for it.

I'm half way though having a tidy up/decorate/general sort out so want to get everything in one go and rehash everything the way I want it and be done with it.

It's tempting me greatly!

Already on my wish list, just need to sort out what I am doing bracket wise and then find a dvd player and a video for it.

I'm half way though having a tidy up/decorate/general sort out so want to get everything in one go and rehash everything the way I want it and be done with it.

Erm... PS3 mate?