You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

To learn to play the guitar.

Anny Road

Sounds like a cracking rig, pretty much everything you need there.

I've been thinking about getting an eventide harmonizer, it's quite pricey but i'm extremely impulsive!!!

Eventide - H7600

Very nice. More rack-mounted studio grade precision; I feel like the poor relation !

I bet you'll need a tranny van just for your own gear.

Official : GAS is a TWAT.

Very nice. More rack-mounted studio grade precision; I feel like the poor relation !

I bet you'll need a tranny van just for your own gear.

Official : GAS is a TWAT.

It is getting a bit of a joke tbh, i feel like Pete Townsend half the time!

I can just never get around to selling anything!

Thing is, with my job i work 3 weeks on, 3 weeks off so when i'm off i'm always recording someone and the extra equipment comes in handy.

Plus it gives the missus something to moan about. Wouldn't like to deprive her of that...

To Anny Road :

If you're gonna go electric / Strat, you could do a lot worse than get one of these :

Korg Pandora PX-4D Portable Multi-Effect Processor | DV247

Korg mini headphone amp. An absolutely cracking bit of kit, packed with different amp and cab sounds, tons of different effects, loads of built in drum and bass patterns to jam along with and practice over, and you can run a cd player or mp3 player through it and jam over that too.

Oh, and brand new for a ton. I use mine all the time, especially late night.

A cheap Stratocaster would be the way to go then mate.

Get on the look out for an ebay Squier Strat. Should nab a decent one for a ton ? Get you started.

Sod the cheap guitar and splash out on his entire range of guitars etc he uses/used.

Guitars

• Fender
    • Stratocaster
      • His main guitar, much modified over the years, is a (1969) 3-colour Sunburst Fender Stratocaster painted over with black as well with a black pickguard and white-coloured pick-up covers and knobs, currently with a vintage 1957 reissue "C shape" maple neck. This neck came from his guitar that he used on the About Face tour. It also includes a small toggle switch that combines the neck and bridge pick-ups (Note this guitar was for brief time fitted with a Kahler locking tremolo system, the system was subsequently un-installed and the removed wood filled with a replacement piece of timber and repainted to match as can be noted by close examination of the guitar behind its reinstalled Fender tremolo). This guitar has a Seymour Duncan SSL-1 bridge pick-up, and currently has a strap which once belonged to Jimi Hendrix.
      • His main guitar for the post-Roger Waters era Pink Floyd tours in support of A Momentary Lapse of Reason, Delicate Sound of Thunder (dubbed "Another Lapse") and The Division Bell was a Candy Apple Red '57 reissue (made in 1984) fitted with a set of EMG SA active pick-ups with the two standard tone controls replaced with an EMG SPC mid boost control, and an EXG treble/bass expander (which cuts the mids while boosting bass and treble). On the On an Island tour it was used every night of the tour on "Shine On You Crazy Diamond".
      • Gilmour is the owner of Strat #0001. However, this is not the first Stratocaster ever made, but the first to be given a serial number. It was last seen at the Strat Pack Concert in Wembley Arena in 2004. The Black Strat was finally brought out of retirement by David in 2005 and fitted with a new Charvel neck for the Pink Floyd reunion at the Live 8 concert. David subsequently used it again for his "On An Island" tour in 2006.
      • Cream coloured '57 reissue. Used at 1984 solo tour and at the early parts of the 1987-1990 tour. In the 1994 tour it was used as spare guitar. Tim Renwick played it with David and the rest of Pink Floyd at their Live 8 set. This Strat was fitted with the same EMG set of pick-ups and tone circuits as the aforementioned Candy Apple Red '57 reissue and after its use at Live 8, the cream finished guitar's neck was transferred to David's main Black Strat.
      • '57 Lake Placid Blue. (Serial number #0040). Used at The Wall sessions.
      • Double-neck Stratocaster. Body was custom made by guitar builder Dick Knight, but the necks were Fender Strat necks. Used live (1970–72).
      • Sunburst Stratocaster. '63 rosewood neck with '59 body. This guitar was given to David by Steve Marriott of Humble Pie and the Small Faces, and though David didn't like the guitar enough to use it very long, he preferred the neck to the original one on his black Strat and switched the two. The sunburst Strat was used as his spare and slide guitar in subsequent years (sporting the maple cap neck with a large headstock from the black Strat), and the rosewood neck remained on the black Strat until 1978.
      • White with white pickguard. Used in the late 1960s. Received as a gift from the rest of the band.[39] Stolen in equipment heist in 1970.
      • Gilmour also used a Strat equipped with the Doug Wilkes 'Answer' sliding pick-up system on the 'Momentary Lapse of Reason' recording.
      • Doug Wilkes also built Gilmour a Precision-style single pick-up bass, which was also used on the 'Momentary Lapse of Reason' sessions.

[*]Telecaster

• Blonde body with white pickguard. Used on the On an Island tour.
      • '52 Butterscotch Reissues with black pickguard. Used between 1987 and 1995. The first guitar was tuned in Dropped D rather than a standard tuning and was used for "Run Like Hell". The second served as a backup instrument and had a regular guitar tuning. Gilmour used this guitar for Astronomy Domine.
      • '59 Custom Telecaster with sunburst ash body, white binding on the body, rosewood fingerboard, and a white pickguard. There was a Gibson Humbucker placed in the Neck position at a brief point but was removed before it was used on the Animals' recording sessions. Last seen on rehearsals during the On an Island tour.
      • '61 Telecaster used during The Wall recording sessions. Also used live in post-Waters era for "Run Like Hell". Last seen on the Syd Barrett memory concert in 2007.
      • 1960s brown-faded body. Used in the late 1960s.
      • 1960s blonde ash body with white pickguard. His main guitar during his first year with Pink Floyd, which was lost by an airline company in 1968, and prompted Gilmour to buy the brown-faded Telecaster.[40]

[*]Esquire '55 Sunburst body a.k.a. "The workmate Tele". Neck pick-up added. Used at the recording sessions for his first solo album, The Wall recording session and the following tour. Also seen when performing with Paul McCartney in the late 1990s.

[*]Steel guitars

• 1950's Fender 1000 twin neck pedal steel guitar. Used in the early 1970s, purchased from a pawn shop while Gilmour was in Seattle in 1970. Used during recording of "One of These Days" from "Meddle" and "Breathe" and "Great Gig in the Sky" from The Dark Side of the Moon.[41]
      • Fender Deluxe lap steel guitar. First time seen during The Division Bell tour in 1994.[41]
      • Fender Champ lap steel

[*]Bass guitars

• Fender Bass VI. Used during The Wall recording sessions.
      • Fender Precision bass guitar
      • Fender Jazz Bass. Used during The Wall recording sessions.

• Gibson
    • A Gibson Les Paul Goldtop (P-90 pick-ups, Bigsby vibrato bridge). Used for the guitar solo on 'Another Brick in the Wall, Part 2.
    • Gibson: EH150 Lap steel guitar,
    • "Chet Atkins" classical guitar,
    • J-200 Celebrity acoustic guitar [42]

[*]Gretsch

[*]Bill Lewis 24-fret Guitar. Used at Meddle and Dark Side of the Moon recording sessions.

[*]Ovation.

• Ovation Legend 1619-4 steel string & high string guitars. Used during The Wall recording sessions.[42]
    • Ovation Legend 1613-4 nylon string guitar. Used during The Wall recording sessions.[43]
    • Ovation Magnum bass guitar. Used during The Wall recording sessions.[43]

[*]Takamine acoustic guitar.

[*]Martin acoustic guitars.

• Martin D-35.[42][43]
    • Martin D12-28 12-string acoustic guitar.[42]
    • Martin D-18 acoustic.[42]

[*]Taylor acoustic guitars

• Taylor 312CE electro-acoustic
    • Taylor 712CE electro-acoustic (used at Robert Wyatt's Meltdown Concert)
    • Taylor K22 made from koa
    • Taylor electro-acoustic nylon string. Used for the song "High Hopes" at the AOL Sessions

[*]Guild F-512 "antique burst" 12-string guitar.

[*]Jose Vilaplana nylon string guitar. Used for the song High Hopes in the "David Gilmour in Concert" DVD.

[*]Steinberger GL. His main guitar during A Momentary Lapse of Reason recording sessions.

[*]Charvel Fretless Fender Precision style bass guitar. Used during The Wall recording sessions.

[*]Music Man Fretless Stingray bass guitar. Used by Gilmour while running the house band at the 1991 Amnesty International concert, during Spinal Tap's performance on "Big Bottom". (All guitarists played bass on this song, and Gilmour played a solo.)

[*]Jedson lap steel guitars. One red (1977-tuned D-G-D-G-B-E for Shine On You Crazy Diamond, Parts 6-9, 1987-2006: Tuned E-B-E-G-B-E for High Hopes) and one blonde.[41]

[*]ZB pedal steel guitar.[43]

[] Amplifiers

• Hiwatt (main) DR 103 heads into WEM Super Starfinder 200 4x12 cabinets loaded with Fane Crescendo speakers
  • Fender '56 Tweed Twin amp (used for smaller concerts)
  • Fender Twin Reverb combos
  • Fender Twin Reverb II 1983 105 W heads
  • Fender Bluesmaster
  • Fender Blues Jr.
  • Mesa Boogie Mark II C+
  • Alembic F2-B bass preamp
  • Custom-built 'Doppola' rotating speakers (driven by the Hiwatt heads)
  • Gallien/Krueger 250 ML combo amp
  • Selmer Stereomaster 100 W
  • Maestro Rover rotating speaker
  • Leslie speaker 147 cabinet
  • Marshall Late 60s super lead 100 W head
  • Yamaha RA-200 revolving speaker cabinet
  • Orange OR50 Early 70s w 4x12 cab
  • Magnatone 280-A 50 W combo
  • Alessandro Bluetick Coonhound High-End, 20 W Tube Amp
  • Hiwatt SA212 combo

] Effects

• Electro-Harmonix/Sovtek Big Muff "Civil War" model
  • Vintage Electro-Harmonix Big Muff (early 70's "Triangle" and "Ram's Head" versions)
  • Electro-Harmonix Electric Mistress & Small Stone phaser
  • MXR Dyna Comp (pre-Dunlop 'Script' logo)
  • MXR Phase 90 (Used for the "four note" Syd riff on Shine On Pts. I-V, also used on Have a Cigar)
  • MXR Phase 100 (Used live, early during the 1977 In The Flesh tour)
  • MXR Noise Gate/Line Driver
  • MXR Digital Delay System II
  • Colorsound Power Boost
  • Demeter COMP-1 Compulator
  • Analog Man Sun Face
  • Chandler Tube Driver
  • BK Butler Tube Driver
  • Boss CS-2 Compression Sustainer, GE-6 Graphic Equalizer, GE-7 Equalizer, HM-2 Heavy Metal, MZ-2 Digital Metalizer, SD-1 SUPER OverDrive, BD-2 Blues Driver, DD-2 Digital Delay, CE-2 Chorus, CE-3 Chorus
  • T-Rex Replica Delay
  • TC Electronic Booster + Line Driver, Sustain + Parametric Equalizer, TC 2290 Dynamic Digital Delay
  • Pro Co RAT

• Heil Talk box
  • Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face (first with NKT-275 transistors and then with BC-108 transistors)
  • Ibanez Tube Screamer, Ibanez CP9 Compressor/Limiter, DE7 Delay/Echo
  • Uni-Vox Univibe
  • Vox Wah-Wah pedal
  • Morley EVO-1
  • DeArmond volume pedal
  • Dunlop Cry Baby Wah-wah pedal
  • Binson Echorec II, Echorec PE 603
  • Binson Echorec II Special.
  • Digitech Whammy
  • Ernie Ball Volume Pedal
  • Pete Cornish all tube Pedal Boards and Custom effects
  • Pete Cornish Soft Sustain, Soft Sustain 2, P-1, P-2, G-2, ST-2, Line Driver, Linear Boost
  • Pete Cornish Tape Echo Simulator (T.E.S), Custom Tube 6 Band EQ
  • Pete Cornish custom volume pedal
  • Pete Cornish custom vibrato pedal
  • EBow
  • Lexicon PCM70 Digital Effects Processor
  • Yamaha SPX-90 II Digital Effects Processors
  • Zoom multi effect
  • DigiTech IPS-33B Super Harmony pitch shifter
  • Dynacord CLS-222 Leslie simulator
  • Roland SDE 3000 digital delay

[] Miscellaneous

• EMS Hi-Fli Prototype, Synthi-AKS, VCS3
  • GHS Boomer strings in a custom gauge 10-12-16-28-38-48 on his Stratocasters
  • GHS Boomer strings in a custom gauge 10.5-13-17-30-40-50 on his Gibson Les Paul Gold Top
  • D'Andrea 354 plectrums (picks)
  • Cross-stitched leather guitar strap used by Jimi Hendrix and bought for David by Polly Samson as a 60th birthday present
  • Shaffer-Vega wireless system for The Wall concerts 1980-81 and his 1984 About Face tour
  • Pete Cornish wireless system for the 1987-96 live Gilmour appearances
  • Evidence Audio Cables

[edit] Fender Signature Stratocaster

In November 2006, Fender Custom Shop announced two reproductions of Gilmour's "Black" Strat for release on 22 September 2008. Gilmour's website states the release date was chosen to coincide with the release of his Live in Gdansk album.[44] Both guitars are based on extensive measurements of the original instrument, each featuring varying degrees of wear. The most expensive will be the David Gilmour Relic Stratocaster[45] which features the closest copy of wear on the original guitar. A pristine copy of the guitar will also be made, called the David Gilmour NOS Stratocaster.[46] Both guitars feature:

• Vintage Style Frets
  • Black Dot Position Inlays (Narrow Spacing)
  • American Vintage Synchronized Tremolo with Custom Beveled Tremolo Block
  • White Tremolo Back Cover
  • Shortened Tremolo Arm
  • Fender/Gotoh Vintage Style Tuning Machines
  • Nickel/Chrome Hardware
  • 1 Ply Beveled Black Acrylic Pickguard (11 Hole)
  • Aged White Plastic Parts & Knobs
  • One Master Volume Knob
  • Two Tone Knobs (one for neck and the other for the bridge pick-up instead of standard neck and middle controls.)
  • custom "neck on" switch to allow for turning on the neck and bridge pick-ups in combination
  • Five Position Pickup Selector Switch
  • Fender Custom Shop Fat '50 Neck Pickup & '69 Middle Pickup
  • Seymour Duncan SSL-5 (or SSL-1 for more Vintage Style) Pickup

HIWATT Signature Amplifiers

• DG-103: Gilmour's earliest amp setup with Pink Floyd consisted of a Selmer 50-watt head with a 4x12 speaker cabinet. By 1970, he found his signature sound with a stack made of Hiwatt 100-watt heads with WEM 4x12 cabinets. The Hiwatt/WEM combination can be heard on Meddle and Dark Side of the Moon. This amp is designed to the same specifications as the one originally used by Dave Gilmour. It is based on the Hiwatt Custom 100 head but with special modifications as originally commissioned by Gilmour. A normal input, a brill input and also a special linked input where the gain of each channel can be dialled in to suit. Bass, Treble, Presence and Master volume controls. 4xEL34s, 4xECC83s. Original Partridge design transformers. 100W output.
  • DG-504: Based on the Custom 50 head, but with special modifications as commissioned by Gilmour, the DG-504 adds a bit of modern sophistication to the classic performance amplifier. In addition to the Bass, Treble, Presence and Master Volume controls, the DG-504 uses a specially linked input system, where the gain of each channel can be altered. Built using Partridge transformers, 4 x ECC-83 tubes in the preamp section, 2 x EL-34 tubes in the power stage, it is rated at 50 watts output, with switchable 4, 8 & 16 ohms impedance. Internally there is point-to-point hand-wiring, turret tag boards (no printed circuits), and hand-laced wiring harnesses. The power and output transformers are manufactured by Partridge, the original 1970s supplier to the original design sheets. The components and wires are the modern available equivalents of the vintage components, 1-watt carbon resistors, and wound polyester capacitors being used throughout.
  • DG-212: Available with the same features as the HIWATT Custom 50, but with internal linked-input system as specified by Gilmour. Dual 12" Fane speakers, two EL-34 tubes in the power stage, 4 x ECC-83 tubes in the preamp. Adjustable 4, 8 & 16 ohm output impedance.

I posted a similar thread the other day.The deal fell through on the two i got but i picked up a couple of bargains instead.

I picked up this Vintage AV1 for £170 with a hiscox hard case

$(KGrHqEOKnQE2(iN,7cyBN)vcrDOsQ~~_3.JPG

and the Vintage AV2,Laney 35 solid state amp,Stand and soft case for £135 inc delivery

21043Hu2Y2L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Its worth having a look at the link below,its a all free,you just get a weekly email of some basic lessons.

How to Play Blues Guitar

How to Play Blues Guitar

If you have a spare 30 grand or so

main_19384.jpg

Price:Please Enquire

Manufacturer:Gibson

Finish:Goldtop

Year:1957

This is a stunning example of Gibson's legendary craftsmanship. All original and in excellent condition. Comes complete with original tags and truss rod adjuster. Super playable, chunky neck. Absolutely incredible sound! This is a serious investment grade instrument.

Or if you need a budget option

main_20373.jpg

Price:£13,850.00

Manufacturer:Gibson

Finish:Cherry Red

Year:1962

Early 60s Gibson Les Paul/SG Standard This is an original finish guitar with strong twin PAF pickups. This is a great playing guitar with the wide early sixties neck. The combination of the chunky neck and PAFs gives all the classic tones one would expect from a Golden Era Gibson solid body, and can go from full Les Paul roar to an almost Tele like clarity- a killer example! The guitar is complete with its clean, orange lined hard shell case

You have a original?

Must be worth some.Nothing better than a Les Paul from that era for me.

Having said that im biased as Duane Allman is my favourite guitarist

Ha ha, not quite.

It's a VOS (Vintage Original Spec); only about £4 grands worth, but a nice guitar nonetheless.

Conned a guy selling on ebay for his son; got him down to £270 !!!

(What is it with all these semi-colon's ?)

Some deal on that,take it he didnt know what he had.

Haggled him down from £300 and he didn't have a clue what he was selling ! His son must've gone crackers.

The Gibbo VOS is really "vintage" to play, and in that respect Gibson has done a fine job recreating their own '56 original (I'd imagine). It's a real tiger to play; you've really gotta wrestle with the fucker and almost wring the notes out of the neck, but with the cooly wound soapbars and a pinch of light, light overdrive, plus a breeze of reverb it's a joy to play.

That said, I've got some other guitars which are far nicer to play; some far cheap and others around the same price bracket, so imo price is no guarantee of quality.

• 9 years later...
11 minutes ago, Elite said:

I'm thinking of trying this. I love acoustic music so would be quite happy going down that route.

I'm nearly 34, anyone successfully learnt at a similar age?

You're unlikely to be the next Andres Segovia but there's no reason why you can't become a decent player if you practice enough.

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, Elite said:

I'm thinking of trying this. I love acoustic music so would be quite happy going down that route.

I'm nearly 34, anyone successfully learnt at a similar age?

What Jairz said.

Stick at it for sixth months/a year and you’ll be good enough to annoy the fuck out of everyone you live with, but more importantly knock a few tunes out and some simple solo stuff that sounds great, but isn’t really that challenging and that fells amazing.

Well worth it.

• Upvote 1