You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

MissIng the game tonight being 7000 miles away in these Far east but still I see this nordic blerts rubbish.

Enrique is top, Code is a complete tool.

In his first season Riise scored 7 goals in 26 starts, 30 appearances.

Enrique is a good player, no one has claimed otherwise, but after a few seasons with gems like Insua, Konchesky, Aurelio and Dossena on our left I feel a few are going a bit overboard about his quality.

To me he is solid without being spectacular in any kind of way.

He's top class. If the rest of the team were giving such accomplished performances then his attacking threat, or lack thereof, wouldn't be an issue at all. Once he develops an understanding with someone on that left wing, and we start getting bodies in the box he'll be even better. atm, it's just great having someone there that is so solid, and never gets done for pace.

Edited by The Dude Abides

He's top class. If the rest of the team were giving such accomplished performances then his attacking threat, or lack thereof, wouldn't be an issue at all. Once he develops an understanding with someone on that left wing, and we start getting bodies in the box he'll be even better. atm, it's just great having someone there that is so solid, and never gets done for pace.

Apparantly he choose football over promissing career as a sprinter. It's ridiculous how easy he catches up to people and burst past them going forward probably the fastest player in the PL and quite possibly Europe.

In his first season Riise scored 7 goals in 26 starts, 30 appearances.

Riise never dribbled past anyone, never muscled anybody off the ball and was abysmal in tight spaces - forget about one touch passing.

Anyone who knows anything about the statistical side of football would see that Enrique wins more tackles, and more ground duels as well as gets more touches both in our half and in their half while completing a higher percentage of passes.

You have made a number of appearances in this thread alone and have yet to score but nobody holds that against you.

Completely different players, but it's unfair to say Riise was never good for us. He was sensational in that first season anywhere on the left but got consistently worse with every passing year.

By the end, he looked and played like Paul Konchesky with a tin of beans poured on his head.

We can only judge Enrique on his performances so far. For me, he's been brilliant.

Riise never dribbled past anyone, never muscled anybody off the ball and was abysmal in tight spaces - forget about one touch passing.

Anyone who knows anything about the statistical side of football would see that Enrique wins more tackles, and more ground duels as well as gets more touches both in our half and in their half while completing a higher percentage of passes.

You have made a number of appearances in this thread alone and have yet to score but nobody holds that against you.

Enrique is obviously a better technical player than Riise, apart from that I dont think he has any obvious abilities apart from his pace where he comes out on top.

Its difficult to compare players in two different teams like Fulham and Liverpool but still it can point out obvious differences, so lets look at a few of the things you mentioned.

Enrique vs Riise

Pass completion: 76,13% vs 75,75%

Fouls conceded: 8 vs 9

Tackles lost: 6 vs 7

Tackles won: 28 vs 18

They look pretty similar to me and thats from this season.

Personally I`d take Riise from his first season compared to Enrique from his first season.

They have similar defensive abilities but Riise's 7 goals in 26 starts kind of edges it for me.

Its a pretty useless discussion though and I'm more than happy with what Enrique has shown so far this season.

• Upvote 1

Enrique is obviously a better technical player than Riise, apart from that I dont think he has any obvious abilities apart from his pace where he comes out on top.

Its difficult to compare players in two different teams like Fulham and Liverpool but still it can point out obvious differences, so lets look at a few of the things you mentioned.

Enrique vs Riise

Personally I`d take Riise from his first season compared to Enrique from his first season.

They have similar defensive abilities but Riise's 7 goals in 26 starts kind of edges it for me.

Its a pretty useless discussion though and I'm more than happy with what Enrique has shown so far this season.

You got the stat for "dived in missed ball and man left rest of defence to cover for him"? That'd be telling.

So, Enrique's got better technical quality and pace. What other qualities does he lack compared to Riise?

Off the ball movement and goalscoring ability, Riise was also brilliant in the air at the back, his long throw ins was always useful and they put our opponents under pressure in the most vital area on the pitch, the opponents box.

They are different type of players, but defenders who can also chip in with a fair amount of goals cant be appreciated enough.

• Upvote 2

So, Enrique's got better technical quality and pace. What other qualities does he lack compared to Riise?

Confidence in his final ball/shot. That's all though. Best left back in the league by a mile atm. Our whole back 4 looks so much better now that we've got two quick full backs and two cb's with decent pace.

Bit concerned with Coates. Imo he should be included in the match day squad ahead of both Carra and Kelly. He gives us something completely different and is obviously the future of this club. Bit worried he'll grow disillusioned if he's kept away from the squad.

Confidence in his final ball/shot. That's all though. Best left back in the league by a mile atm. Our whole back 4 looks so much better now that we've got two quick full backs and two cb's with decent pace.

Bit concerned with Coates. Imo he should be included in the match day squad ahead of both Carra and Kelly. He gives us something completely different and is obviously the future of this club. Bit worried he'll grow disillusioned if he's kept away from the squad.

Don't agree with this, Carra needs to be in the squad, put it this way if we are winning 1-0 at City with twenty left on tuesday and Agger gets injured who would you rather bring on, the experienced club legend who still has a lot to offer or some young kid we've barely seen play

and Kelly can play either full back position so is on the bench for his versatility, remember Agger barely played at first, I'm sure we'll see a lot more of Coates next season if he is the real deal

Off the ball movement and goalscoring ability, Riise was also brilliant in the air at the back, his long throw ins was always useful and they put our opponents under pressure in the most vital area on the pitch, the opponents box.

They are different type of players, but defenders who can also chip in with a fair amount of goals cant be appreciated enough.

Thank f*** that part of our history is, well, history. The amount of time we wasted in bringing Sami up for those compared to the amount of goals we got from it was disturbing to say the least.

Think you are glorifying Riise a bit (again) Code. He was a revelation at LB and LM in his first season, but that was mostly because of his shots/goals ratio and how shit our LBs had been the last decade(s). His stamina was (and still is) his biggest asset imo, possibly along with his ability to avoid injuries.

The amount of crosses he conceded, the amount of shots he took in his last couple of seasons compared to goals, his inability to use his weaker foot (a fault Enrique also has, but gets away with because of his superior technique and body strength), him always picking the Hollywood pass/hoof instead of the simple short pass etc, etc. They are different type of players yes... One is world class, and the other is a decent PL player.

Guest ShoePiss

Yeah especially in fantasy football.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

He's top class. A really good defender and a good attacker. Strange that people like to play his qualities down, yet still cling on to Downing and Carroll.

Don't agree with this, Carra needs to be in the squad, put it this way if we are winning 1-0 at City with twenty left on tuesday and Agger gets injured who would you rather bring on, the experienced club legend who still has a lot to offer or some young kid we've barely seen play

and Kelly can play either full back position so is on the bench for his versatility, remember Agger barely played at first, I'm sure we'll see a lot more of Coates next season if he is the real deal

I'd go with Coates actually, especially if Dzeko is on. Btw, when is he going to learn the trade then? We can't really expekt him to get better if he's playing only the lesser teams, at some point he has to be thrown in at the deep end. He played in the finals of the Copa America this summer, and fared pretty well against players of similar ilk to those he'll meet here.

Besides, I don't think it's a coincidence we look much better at the back now than we did earlier in the season either. I honestly don't think Carra should play in the league again this year barring injuries to two of the other CBs. He may play in the cup competitions, but for me he needs to be faded out this season, so we can start the next season with Agger, Skrtel, Coates and Kelly as our first 4 CBs. Maybe give Carra the last start at Anfield if nothing much is at stake for a big and well deserved send-off.

I really rate Coates from what I've seen, and I think it's vital that we look to establish him in our side from next season. I know we look really good with Skrtel and Agger now, but I think Coates has the potential to be better than both, and he could be the Colossus we've missed since Hyypia left. For that reason alone we should try to get him going this season.

The lad himself says he will need a year to adapt to the pace of the league, we have our best back four in a decade and the tightest defence in the league and you suggest this.

Mental.

I think lebron was trying to make the point that if Agger or Skrtel where to get injured then Coates should get the nod ahead of Carra. Valid point in my opinion. But until that happens, Agger and Skrtel are going nowhere. I cant beleive the confidence brimming between the back 4, they all seem to have a very good undertstanding with eachother, Agger and Skrtel are meant to be good pals off the pitch to, which helps.

Enrique vs Riise

I dont need to see figures, stats, or any kind to show me who seems to be the better player. I go week in week out and can full ensure you 100% that Jose Enrque is a better player than John Arne Riise.

I can see withy my eyes, and dont need to look at them numbers to see who is a betetr player. I think John Arne Riise was a very good left back, his qualities he brought to the team were very beneficial, but he did get helped out alot by Hyypia and Carragher many times. He was a very solid PL player, but as mentioned, began to fade out and loose his way a little, i respect John Arne Riise and awful lot.

Upto now Enrque has just oozed absolute class and will continue to do so, he is brimming with unbeleivable confidence and would walk into any side in the world at LB at the moment, he has been that solid. I also dont think this is just a good run of form, i fully beleive he will prove to be consistently this good.

He is more of a footballer than Riise, stronger, quicker, defensively and going forward better than Riise, (just Riise scored goals) Enrique adds more going forward and causing problems for opposition defence and midfield.

I just hope he stays for a very long time.