You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Other routes into Europe for next season?

Howdy,

It's looking likely that we won't be getting the 5th place European slot now but does anyone know if there any other ways to qualify for next season?

I'm thinking Intertoto(does it still exist?), Fair Play record?, United or Chelsea winning Champs league and FA CUP? Bribbing Uefa officials?

Some people have suggested 'it will do us good' not being in Europe next season to concentrate on the league. Personally I think it is very sad that we won't be in Europe next season.

x

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Howdy,

It's looking likely that we won't be getting the 5th place European slot now but does anyone know if there any other ways to qualify for next season?

I'm thinking Intertoto(does it still exist?), Fair Play record?, United or Chelsea winning Champs league and FA CUP? Bribbing Uefa officials?

Some people have suggested 'it will do us good' not being in Europe next season to concentrate on the league. Personally I think it is very sad that we won't be in Europe next season.

x

We get in by league position or not at all. No intertoto feckin' cups.

Ermmmm.... Miss you!

I know that there are some who want desperately for us to appear on the European stage. But does it have to be in the Europa League? Do we really need to play football in July for a few euros in the bank? If we finish 6th and take a break from the Europa League, Henry can start to rebuild the team and we can begin to compete for the league and domestic trophies again.

We are nailed on for 5th, but if something really strange should happen and we missed out I`m actually open for the Intertoto Cup.

Nothing wrong in playing meaningful games against half decent teams in July instead of meaningless friendlies with players who never get their chances when the season starts anyway.

When we started in the 1st round of the CL qualifiers it certainly did nothing wrong for our league form that year as we did not lose a game before October and overall had our best season in the league under Rafa with 78 points against the dross.

We are nailed on for 5th, but if something really strange should happen and we missed out I`m actually open for the Intertoto Cup.

Nothing wrong in playing meaningful games against half decent teams in July instead of meaningless friendlies with players who never get their chances when the season starts anyway.

When we started in the 1st round of the CL qualifiers it certainly did nothing wrong for our league form that year as we did not lose a game before October and overall had our best season in the league under Rafa with 78 points against the dross.

Exactly. We SHOULD be able to win the Inter Two Bob with ease, thus putting us in the Europa League again and as Code says, we might as well play our preseason friendlies on a level where they're more productive.

I'd rather scratch my eyes out than go through a similar UEFA Cup campaign to this season's 'adventure'. Seriously, the Europa League games we partook in this season were among the worst football matches I've ever seen. Absolute crap. If it's a choice between that shite and no European games, I'd happily forego European footie next season and concentrate on the league.

Not arsed that we won't be in the Europa.

Word of warning to those that think that we will have more 3 o'clock kick offs.

Sky will still have the usaual schedule for us with the Sunday and midday Saturday games. The 3 oclock games that we would of had against the likes of Birmingham and Stoke are gone, because they will be playing on Thursday nights instead of us.

Nailed on for 5th? 78 points?

I think we are, just watch Spurs collapse now, we will go past them with a win at Anfield I reckon.

When we came third in 05/06 we got 78 points against the teams from 5-20 in the league, but we only managed a draw against Chelsea at home and a win against Arsenal at home against the other top 4 teams.

When we came second in 08/09 we only got 72 points against the teams outside the top 4, but incredible 14 points against against Chelsea, Arsenal and the mancs.

I`d argue that overall we had a better season in 05/06 because they games against the other top 4 teams usually live their own lifes and anything can happen, its usually the results you get against "the dross" that decides the league if you know what I mean.

Twisted logic it might be but still I think there are something in it.

We're a football club, and football clubs should play games. I'd rather play tomorrow night, than have to wait until Monday night to play again.

No Intertoto, so that way into Europe is gone. First week without European action for nearly 2 years this week, missing it already, let alone if we have to do without it for a whole season next year.

Losing our title record next month, and other players snubbing us for European football in the summer, would be unofficial confirmation of our standing in English football at the present time, and make the rebuilding job more difficult.

We're a football club, and football clubs should play games. I'd rather play tomorrow night, than have to wait until Monday night to play again.

No Intertoto, so that way into Europe is gone. First week without European action for nearly 2 years this week, missing it already, let alone if we have to do without it for a whole season next year.

Losing our title record next month, and other players snubbing us for European football in the summer, would be unofficial confirmation of our standing in English football at the present time, and make the rebuilding job more difficult.

Stop trying to make sense, mypost old mate. It's unnerving.

I actually agree with your above, except the Intertoto bit. That sort of competition's fine to be in... if you're Shamrock Rovers.

well Tottenham qualified for Champions League and they were not even in Europe at all, maybe it benefited them?

Stop trying to make sense, mypost old mate. It's unnerving.

I actually agree with your above, except the Intertoto bit. That sort of competition's fine to be in... if you're Shamrock Rovers.

The Intertoto was never even a competition, and had no trophy. FWIW, Rovers are in the CLQ's this summer.

Europe or no Europe, there'll be very few more 3pm kos next season. We'll leave that stuff to the clubs who have 3pm "season tickets" such as Fulham and Wigan.

The Intertoto was never even a competition, and had no trophy. FWIW, Rovers are in the CLQ's this summer.

Europe or no Europe, there'll be very few more 3pm kos next season. We'll leave that stuff to the clubs who have 3pm "season tickets" such as Fulham and Wigan.

It's the single-most thing I miss about the good old days, 3pm Saturday. Well, that and all them trophies.

It's the fucking same in the Australian Rules Football down here. Not a game in site at 2pm on a Saturday anymore. Well, one if you're lucky maybe.

I'm getting old.