You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Street football memories

Mike D

Does anyone remember what the program was called where Jack Charlton did the coaching i can remember one where someone kicked a ball at him as he was walking away and hit him on the back of the head and he just legged it after the player

My memory is shite these days so i dont know it was just something i made up but i am almost sure i saw it i have tried to look it up without success not knowing the name of the program but it would be great to watch those again

final lot I think, better stop searching for pics of kids haha

they make me laugh anyway. great days.

wouldnt mind seeing the Fowler pics if anyone has them

cheers guys keep the stories coming.

3356117.jpg

archivefootball_468x413.jpg

streetfoot-6005.jpg

2220476758_f30baf5fdd.jpg

yeah you can play love

4406874852_0016b4360b.jpg

that street looks a bit posh you'll soon be moved off in a police van.

footballstreetST_450x250.jpg

PRE11947.jpg

They were horrendous. Even a light breeze and a drive at goal could become a pass in the opposite direction.

They made even decent players look Bebe-esque.

No mate, they were the heavy duty rubberised balls, absolutely awesome. There was cheaper fly away copies but the Wembley Trophy was the nearest to a leather ball you could get. Sadly missed.

No mate, they were the heavy duty rubberised balls, absolutely awesome. There was cheaper fly away copies but the Wembley Trophy was the nearest to a leather ball you could get. Sadly missed.

been aving a bit of a internet search with no avail and asking round too, my uncle remembers them, he collects all sorts of stuff so has a good eye for looking out for things.

can ya give us any more info, like what make they where etc, if we ever come across one ill get in touch

lived in a cul-de-sac so was boss. Could literally play any game there, the layout lent itself to all the games. Also, one of the neighbours had a hedge which was about 3/4 the size of a goal, was boss.

Also played space invaders. Would have a hedge about 10/15 metres wide. Eceryone used to run from one end to the other. The person who was 'on' was about 10 metres away and blasted the ball at you as you ran, eliminating everyone. Heavier ball the better.

Kids would just cry now. I got knocked out once, clocked me right on the grid.

Also played space invaders. Would have a hedge about 10/15 metres wide. Eceryone used to run from one end to the other. The person who was 'on' was about 10 metres away and blasted the ball at you as you ran, eliminating everyone. Heavier ball the better.

that rings a bell to me, have to have a word with me mates, Im sure we played that

trying to find a scene from Scully, the lad who keeps seeing Kenny Dalglish in his imagination.

the scene where the old woman keeps all the footballs in the house, if anyone can find it please post.

[YOUTUBE]dy1ViduX9iI[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]WIeh0IOwEFw[/YOUTUBE]

Fuckin brilliant thread.

Kerby,either one bounce and kick or on the volley.

Knockout,Singles,pairs or trebles even.

60 seconds or headers and volleys.

We used to play a game called saddles.

On a concrete pitch that had a goal at each end and the goals were two wooden posts.

In 2 teams and the first team to strike all four posts was the winnner.

S.P.O.T was turned into S.H.I.T.

Anybody remember your plazzy ball getting a hole in and heating up a knife to smooth the hot plastic over the hole and then blowing it up again and carrying on playing?

Great days.

That was knockout Pairs in Walton and headers and volleys was also 60 secs

Used to play in the Triangle on Bullens Road cause the wall went in slightly and it looked like a Goal. I have scored some stunning volleys there!!!

(note: Had to be a full van basten type volley or Header none of this half volley nonsense)

Bollocks !! You were always in goal when we beat the records.

And can anyone tell me why the Red Wembley Trophies stung your leg more than the white ones?

I remember playing footy in the street as a 10 year old lad ( I was Dalglish or Grobs) and in the middle of the game the next door neighbour's sister and her best mate,who were watching from her bedroom window, started lifting up their tops and pressing their tits up against the glass and jiggling them up and down. Can't remember the game much but do remember I did get hold of those tits not long after. Sweet memories.

Didn't they rattle when you shook them?

I miss being a kid playing football. In the summer holiday we used to knock for eachother, go over the field with our scruffy trainees, a bottle of robinsons orange juice and play. We'd go in about tea time, have our tea then play until MOTD started (if it was a Saturday). We'd do the same of a Sunday but we'd have a match for the team we played for.

I used to love playing knockout and scoring goals in the goal we made. We got three big metal fences off a building site by were we lived. And got a third which we got one of the lad's Dad to put on the top! Boss goal! Until some evil bastard kicked it down.

We used to play bare arse, too. Heads and volleys (the two intertwined) and shooty aswell (two goals either end of the pitch. Turns of trying to lob eachother. Can't save with your hands).

We also used to play some game called fouling footy. Which was basically throw in obscene challenges. No holds barred. We didn't play it again after one of the lads broke his collar bone (he got his legs taken when he was through on goal and landed awkwardly).

I miss throwing in fair but hard tackles in with your mates and laughing it off. I miss getting hurt and trying not to cry so you looked hard!

We were lucky in what ball we used. We played with an arl battered Mitre. Then after a couple of years of growing up we had a Nike Geo (proper prem ball, too) at our disposal.

I'll never forget them days. Best days of my life. Easily.

World Cup - one kid in goals and the other 12/13 competing to get through to the next round. Every kid for themselves, increasing tension as the goals flew in and the numbers whittled down. The arguments over deflections and goalhanging. One tearful loser knocked out every round. Bliss.

This is the game we played most when I was younger.

If there was that many playing we used to go in pairs sometimes.

Great game.

Reading all these stories brings me to this. How can the older generation and Politicians not understand that if kids had somewhere decent to play and stuff to do , there may not be so much trouble about.

Grannies moaning cos kids play football but they don't realise they were doing the same when they were younger...a case of NIMBYS

• 1 year later...

Used to hate them flyaways if you were in goal - moved all over the place.

I can remember playing knockout,spot on, kerby...all on the neighbours garage she'd go nuts.My boy cant do that now - and theyre closing the outdoor 3g pitches all over the place. We used to play back on the school fields after we got changed - Crown Paints 87 classic on lets go!

Ah, real good thread this..

Can remember me and my best mate had a system for being on the same team whenpicking sides when you went off selecting numbers with two captains. Id shout to him a pool player, "Stevie Nicol played good last week eh", and he'd say number 4 and there yo go, on the same team. Makes me laugh thining back now, got away with it every time!

Keep em coming great read lads

• 1 year later...