You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Street football memories

Mike D

I seen this shot and thought it was worth bumping this thread, they were tough in the old days.

1795721_10201476327778735_1523715055_n_z

and not only were they tough for playing in rollerskates ,but that was before leather balls when they used granite balls from a posh persons garden wall.

• Upvote 1

Yep. That usually coincided with people coming home so more and more cars were getting parked meaning there was no space left anyway.

I was quite lucky in that when we had a big game we'd all go down to the next street that had this collection of garages (none of which contained any cars, so games were never interrupted) that made a great pitch.

Games ended when it was dark or when we broke a window so everyone pegged it.

We had a big park with 3 footy pitches on. Used to hate it in the summer when they took the posts down. What was the fucking point. Also had some basketball courts, the council made loads of new adidas ones around the Liverpool area. We used to play 5 a-side in them. Still used to slide as we would on grass. 

Once it got dark, stash the footy then have a big game of man hunt or knock and run. Fucking hell being a kid was brilliant. 

I've been known to knock on a door and run like fuck when walking pst one with mates too or from the pub. Some things never leave you. 

That reminds me of someone I know who had recently been out for a skinful. He was walking home when he found he really needed to do a poo. The only place set back off the main road was the porch outside the front door of a house. He sat there and as he was dotting the i the owner of the house opened the door, looked down at him and said "what the fuck are you doing?" My mate ran off. The shame of it, mid 40s, crapping on someone's doorstep and getting caught, running down the road with your shitty arse hanging out.

• Upvote 2