You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Big Society

Antynwa

I'm trying to get my head around the concept, and to be honest I still don't get what it is.

Is it volunteering?

Is it helping those less fortunate than yourself?

Is Cameron trying to take credit for the hard work volunteers already put in?

Does anyone actually think it's got any substance? Don't get me wrong, I quite like the concept of helping one another and those less fortunate. But when the rich avoid tax I.E Cameron's mates it's kind of hard to take what this fella has to say seriously.

Liverpool City Council have already fucked it off, and probably a few more will follow. Volunteering is not a swap for cutting public jobs. You can't expect in the current climate, people to give more of their time especially when wages are being cut, jobs are being lost it's just bizarre.

Big Society my arse

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest davelfc

I read that it's about some kind of effort to get hold of a strong sense of civic responsibility.

You know the very thing that government in general has been destroying for decades.

Just another little bit of smoke to add to the mirrors and distract us while we're being shafted.

This initiative has been lifted directly from Obama. Even down to how it is being funded. Philosophically it's sound but even here where there is a much greater engagement at the local level people aren't sure how to make it work IMO.

Personally, if a government, be it a blue one or a red one, is going to give me money to get them out of my business, I'd be all over it.

Any opportunity to refocus on something other than "I'm alright jack" should be grasped with both hands IMO.

My take on it is that its another way of privatising things through the back door,i maybe wrong of course but thats my opinion.

Ive heard Cameron talk about local communities providing their own services like opening their own Post Office for example.

Putting aside the cuts in budgets for voluntary services here is my take on it.

Local community applies for a grant from council or goverment to open a post office on an estate. I imagine they might be told its a one off payment and they need to make it work to keep it going.

So it starts off fine but then people might stop coming in,use internet or something and business slumps,so they maybe try to turn it into a small shop also,get a loan from the bank.

So then it doesnt work and they owe the bank.

A private company pays their loan off but on condition they take over the business.

The locals have no option but to agree and then another WH Smith or Co-op or whatever has a foot in to that community and ups the prices or cuts and takes over that communities local amenities.

Just a little scenario that i think is possible.

The main aim of this 'Big Sociiety' bullshit is get people to do something for nothing. An objective that would be anathema to Cameron and his CBI and banker friends if it were presented to them, is being discussed like it had in its genesis some concern for the people it is being foisted upon.

It is a piece of ill judged and practically inexplicable PR toss. Working within the parameters of a capitalist system dictates that if you don't pay for something then you can't have it. Well, that's how I see it. Yet Cameron, while savaging the finances of the public sector because we 'can't afford it', is suggesting that lack of money should be no object to maintaining our local libraries, parks and, famously, our local pubs. Fucking beaut'.

He is at at it again today, trying to explain his 'idea'. Along with his 'multi-culturalism don't work' speech, his utterances are becoming as difficult to comprehend as Paul Maynard's drunken sing-songs.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Step 1: Convince people that state interference at road crossings is a bad thing.

Step 2: Sack state-funded lollipop man.

Step 3: Pretend sacking lollipop man was another party's fault.

Step 4: Get somebody from the community to be a lollipop man for free so that voters kids don't die, and so that their BMWs don't get brains stuck in their grills.

Step 5: Funnel saved money to private firms so that donators carry on donating.

Step 6: Laugh maniacally.

Anyone see Cameron's article on the Big Society in The Observer yesterday? My favourite part:

If a charity or a faith group want to set up a great new school in the state sector, we'll let them.

Not sure how those faith schools fit in with your "multiculturalism is bad" theory, but ok, carry on...

And if someone wants to help out with children, we will sweep away the criminal record checks and health and safety laws that stop them.

*sound of jaw hitting floor*

Have no doubt, the big society is on its way | David Cameron | Comment is free | The Observer

The 'Big Society' is a tag dreamed up by a corrupt, illegally acting editor of the NOTW.

It wasn't him though was it? Apparently the decision to downplay the 'Big Con' in the election was down to Coulsen who recognises a pile of shite when he sees it.

It is a fucking big con!

And if someone wants to help out with children, we will sweep away the criminal record checks and health and safety laws that stop them.

460-gary-glitter_792608c.jpg

"Could you please repeat that???"

gary-glitter-flies-back-to-england-for-heart-treatment-on-nhs-415x275.jpg

"Gary is back in business"

It wasn't him though was it? Apparently the decision to downplay the 'Big Con' in the election was down to Coulsen who recognises a pile of shite when he sees it.

It is a fucking big con!

My understanding was that it came from him, it shows up the tories as even bigger cunts if they chose this themselves.

In their defence, and it's very rare I'd defend the cunts, they're only doing away with CRB checks for people that volunteer occasionally, and are always supervised. For example, parents going into a school to help out with the reading every few weeks, where the teacher is always present and they're never left alone with the kids. Somebody in paid employment, or volunteering on a regular basis will still need a CRB check.

In their defence, and it's very rare I'd defend the cunts, they're only doing away with CRB checks for people that volunteer occasionally, and are always supervised. For example, parents going into a school to help out with the reading every few weeks, where the teacher is always present and they're never left alone with the kids. Somebody in paid employment, or volunteering on a regular basis will still need a CRB check.

So would you be happy to have our new assistant, Gary, or Gary G to the kids helping tech your kids to learn how to read? Remeber, even Gary Barlow knows it only takes a minute to fall in love, to fall in love?

I mean, if any man, lets call him Gary for the purposes of this can find enough slots of occasional childrens' volunteers CBI unchecked roles to fill up his day then he can very well save a lot of money on flights to Cambodia to try and lose his morals and NN might suggest.

Each time they finger him, trying to finger them, they might kick him out sure, he can always find another place where he will again be occasional and unchecked around kids. You think you can stop it with supervisors?

They aren't super and they aren't visors which is what yo wear to keep compressed flies off your face while riding a motorbike.

I mean how you gonna check if he volunteers regularly or not without actually checking?

Big society by David Cameron, tru story dat.

Micheal Jackson would be turning in his grave

*sound of jaw hitting floor*

Have no doubt, the big society is on its way | David Cameron | Comment is free | The Observer

This also means that mine (and several others on here) Jobs are in peril just months after taking new members of staff on board in anticipation for the new vetting scheme. Not to mention the fact that this new "scope" will mean that people can gain access to children volunteering without any safeguarding measures at all.

It's all just them saying "Labour made a nanny state, now every man for himself!" but the first time an incident occurs in a school or nursery we'll get "where were the criminal records checks?!"

So would you be happy to have our new assistant, Gary, or Gary G to the kids helping tech your kids to learn how to read? Remeber, even Gary Barlow knows it only takes a minute to fall in love, to fall in love?

I mean, if any man, lets call him Gary for the purposes of this can find enough slots of occasional childrens' volunteers CBI unchecked roles to fill up his day then he can very well save a lot of money on flights to Cambodia to try and lose his morals and NN might suggest.

Each time they finger him, trying to finger them, they might kick him out sure, he can always find another place where he will again be occasional and unchecked around kids. You think you can stop it with supervisors?

They aren't super and they aren't visors which is what yo wear to keep compressed flies off your face while riding a motorbike.

I mean how you gonna check if he volunteers regularly or not without actually checking?

Big society by David Cameron, tru story dat.

Micheal Jackson would be turning in his grave

I'm sure a headteacher would know which parents were regular volunteers. If they haven't had a check, they don't get left alone. It's common sense. It happened for years and years until Labour came to power and made us all believe that we had to assume every adult was a paedophile. I was never molested in a classroom by a friend's mother while she listened to me read Janet and John in front of a teacher.

Safeguarding in this country has gone crazy, and as much as I feel for the CRB staff who will lose their jobs, many checks are unneccesary.

I'm sure a headteacher would know which parents were regular volunteers. If they haven't had a check, they don't get left alone. It's common sense. It happened for years and years until Labour came to power and made us all believe that we had to assume every adult was a paedophile. I was never molested in a classroom by a friend's mother while she listened to me read Janet and John in front of a teacher.

Safeguarding in this country has gone crazy, and as much as I feel for the CRB staff who will lose their jobs, many checks are unneccesary.

If George Bush can get away with mass murder of 2,000 Americans while reading to a class full of kids you can be pretty sure Gary G will find no trouble copping a feel here and there, brushing past the kids and also storing images of boys bums while they stand facing the wall in the naughty corner in his 'flash drive' if you will.

They aren't stupid these peados, I mean, not as stupid as Cameron anyway, they could use a different name, bit of fake ID not CRB.

I know people go hysterical about Peados but we should be doing the basics.

I doubt headteachers meet every week to discuss the volunteers and compare who is volunteering what between each other, it'd be easy for people to get around it, they might not even be peados, it could just be an arsonist who likes to set secret fires in janitors closets for all we know, I gues swe'll never know.

If I ever have kids then they would never be sent to any school so it's not as if it'll ever be my problem but no, let's trust another politician, no wonder he likes faith schools, it appears if he's in charge people will need faith to send them there as there's no system to check that under Cameron, it's a big society with big uncles with idle hands.

What gets me is Cameron's annoyance at the general public, it's like he's really mad that we are not all forming circle singing 'he's got the big society, in his hands, Camerons' got the whole world in his hands' and getting out the ald maypoles again. Is he a total mong or what, is this meant to save them from the next election?

As I get older, I realise that I've seen all these new ideas before. Behind the spin and rhetoric the "big society" is in fact privatisation with free labour. Pretty soon the freshly swollen ranks of the unemployed will be expected to help this "big society" in order to receive benefits. Before the mongbaas say fair enough, let me point out that this actually means a handful of capitalists profiting from labour paid for by us. In order to help this free workforce- the greedy bastards who want paying for their work (us again), will be laid off (anyone remember Thatcher's Employment Training? well this is similar, but cheaper). The next step will be to allow private companies more control of the prison population to utilise a workforce as cheap as china's. You may disagree, but look carefully and you'll see that it's already happened, many times before.

Either rise up, or learn to like the taste of shit.