You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

If Roy were to go who would be your choice as manager?

Simbo

Who do you want as next Liverpool manager?  

291 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want as next Liverpool manager?

Got this off RAWK;

A friend of mine is a Spanish football journalist. I asked him about Pellegrini and Rijkaard, and got this back. I found it interesting, you guys may as well.

Pellegrini is a quiet, respectful man. He listens more than he talks, an asset that could certainly prove valuable to many people currently at Liverpool. His style of football is generally positive but it's not about relentless attacking (see Sacchi's Milan) so much as it is about keeping possession and comitting men forward. In that regard I guess you could compare his style to that of Arsene Wenger but it's worth noting that every Pellegrini team I've ever seen has been considerably more clinical than all post-2005 Arsenal sides.

He does have a pair though, make no mistake. Real Madrid brought in a whole host of egos last Summer (Kaka, Ronaldo, Benzema) but Pellegrini kept them all united under a common goal and the promise of success. When Raúl started getting too big for his boots (again), Pellegrini put his attitude down a notch. This led to friction between the manager and president and Pellegrini almost inevitably became a victim of a press campaign to have both Manny and Higuaín (Calderon signing) vilified. Sadly, Madrid fans found themselves falling for it. Many Madrid fans who I have spoken to recently say they would not have swapped Pellegrini for Mou on the basis of this season's performances incomparison to last. This is despite calling for change over the summer.

Rijkaard was always a weird one. While he oversaw a great era in Barcelona's history, it could be argued that Laporta built the squad while Ten Cate trained it and that Rijkaard just acted as Mr Motivator while the other two guys did their jobs. But when they faltered, Frank faltered too. He was out of his depth at Barcelona, always propped up by others.

There is no doubt though that he likes to play attacking football and utilize flair players (especially out on the flanks). I know for a fact that Xavi, Puyol and Iniesta all hold him in high regard too so he didn't get it all wrong.

If I had to choose either for the Liverpool job, I'd go for Pellegrini every time. He's more willing to get his hands dirty (which is what you need in 19th!) and is an all-round better coach. Bringing in Rijkaard would be more of a statement though, what with his Barça past. Interesting times for your club.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have to say i'm pretty pissed so sorry if i talk bollocks, but the worry for me with kenny is that he signed some pretty shit players towards the end of his reign at liverpool (burrows and speedie are the main ones that give me the shits). Obviously blackburn was great but his time at newcastle and celtic was pretty bad to be honest. Hes also been out of the management game for a long time. Winning the title again under kenny isthe dream scenario but i just can't see it.

Pellegrini and Pako Ayesteran as assistant would make sense to me. Someone who is familiar with our setup and players would make the transition far quicker and mitigate the risk of unfamiliarity far better.

All the players are far as we know respected Pako, and his no-nonsense approach and influence in the early success may have been underestimated.

Kenny till summer. See where we are then, give him the chance to get his feet back under the table, see how it works for him, the club, his family. Play some entertaining football, ease the malaise around the place, give people a smile on their face, both players, staff and fans.

In the summer revue the situation.

Hiddink could then be approached if Kenny doesn't want it in the long term. This would fulfill Hiddink's commitment to Turkey somewhat.

A lot depends on where we finish, what players wnat to stay, who we could attract without European football.

Also someone who looks to the youth as well. Shelvey, Paco, Wilson etc need to be nearer the first team.

This manager is done. Get rid.

Pellegrini would be my first choice and should have got the job in the summer and my second choice would be Claudio Ranieri, don't expect many to agree but he has worked well in England before and has worked at several top clubs mainly succesfully, his record in the last decade stands at

00-01 Chelsea 6th

01-02 Chelsea 6th

02-03 Chelsea 4th

03-04 Chelsea 2nd

04-05 Valencia 6th (at time of sacking, finished 7th)

05-06 unemployed

06-07 Parma 12th (took over in the relegation zone with 15 games left)

07-08 Juventus 3rd

08-09 Juventus 2nd

09-10 Roma 2nd

currently 14th which is very poor admittedly but I'd like us to give him a go

Pellegrini would be my first choice and should have got the job in the summer and my second choice would be Claudio Ranieri, don't expect many to agree but he has worked well in England before and has worked at several top clubs mainly succesfully, his record in the last decade stands at

00-01 Chelsea 6th

01-02 Chelsea 6th

02-03 Chelsea 4th

03-04 Chelsea 2nd

04-05 Valencia 6th (at time of sacking, finished 7th)

05-06 unemployed

06-07 Parma 12th (took over in the relegation zone with 15 games left)

07-08 Juventus 3rd

08-09 Juventus 2nd

09-10 Roma 2nd

currently 14th which is very poor admittedly but I'd like us to give him a go

If he'd done some of that at smaller clubs, I might agree, but the fact of the matter is that he's failed to win anything of note at very, very big football clubs and has seldom looked anything like spectacular in doing so. He'd also be an immediate laughing stock due to his reputation in England.

Guest TesticleOReilly
If he'd done some of that at smaller clubs, I might agree, but the fact of the matter is that he's failed to win anything of note at very, very big football clubs and has seldom looked anything like spectacular in doing so. He'd also be an immediate laughing stock due to his reputation in England.

Hey, you just back up there, mister. That's the 1986 Swedish league and cup double winner you're talking about.

lets be fair though when he took over at Chelsea they were just a typical hoping to qualify for europe team with a couple of classy players, a bit like Totteham in recent years so 6th was a reasonable finish and then to get them to 4th was a real achievement, then the money came in and he got one season with it and on another season without Arsenal being as good as they were that season he could've won it, his second spell at Valencia was poor but I think his first spell was what laid done the foundations for Cuper and Rafa to work their magic, Parma was a decent achievment in the circumstances he arrived in and when he joined Juventus it was when they had just been promoted back to Serie A with Inter establishing themselves as the runaway top club so 3rd and 2nd are nothing to be ashamed off and Roma have a worse squad than us to push last seasons Inter to the final day of the season is a job bloody well done particularly to say he was given the old manager's squad having being appointed the day after the transfer window shut.

He also took Cagliari to Serie A from Serie C1 in succesive seasons, got Napoli to 4th twice, got Fiorentina promoted to Serie A winning and Coppa Italia with them, a lot of his managerial career seems to be spent rebuilding teams only to just about fail to meet the final hurdle of winning the league for another manager to come in and finish the job, I'd settle for that right now!

don't care about his reputation over here, Roy has a decent reputation yet his management is a steaming pile of shit, if Ranieri wasn't good enough he wouldn't keep getting the jobs he does whilst usually succeeding

Pellegrini and Pako Ayesteran as assistant would make sense to me. Someone who is familiar with our setup and players would make the transition far quicker and mitigate the risk of unfamiliarity far better.

All the players are far as we know respected Pako, and his no-nonsense approach and influence in the early success may have been underestimated.

I find real merit in this suggestion. The one that I would vote for over most others.

I find real merit in this suggestion. The one that I would vote for over most others.

While I was as disappointed as anyone when Pako left, you have to bear in mind that the only players still here from back then are Reina, Carragher, Aurelio, Gerrard and a few of the youngsters. The likes of Torres, Lucas and Babel had only just arrived when Pako walked. Although it has to be said that 3 of the 4 names mentioned have a huge influence over the squad.

Have to say i'm pretty pissed so sorry if i talk bollocks, but the worry for me with kenny is that he signed some pretty shit players towards the end of his reign at liverpool (burrows and speedie are the main ones that give me the shits). Obviously blackburn was great but his time at newcastle and celtic was pretty bad to be honest. Hes also been out of the management game for a long time. Winning the title again under kenny isthe dream scenario but i just can't see it.

Nothing bollocks about that at all, it's pretty much bang on the money. There is some real romance about Kenny coming back to the helm, all the unfinished business aspect of it and the fulfillment of a dream for some of the younger members of this board and fan base in general who never saw him play or manage us in the flesh.

He would be a unifyng presence, no question at all about that, but everything you've said above is correct. Would I take him now over Roy Hodgson? yes, definitely I would on the basis that he thinks he can do a better job. Would I take him over a team of say Pellegrini and Pako as his number 2? No way.

It's all lovely and has the makings of a fairytale return story about it, but I still have grave reservations about it. The thing is that some people suspected that Hodgson would be a disaster, some suspect that Kenny might be the same, but Kenny has our history and our support behind him and will be cut a lot of slack, the kind of slack that takes you to May I would suggest.

If there was a vacancy tomorrow then I wouldn't be against Kenny getting the job until the Summer until we have a reappraisal of things, but I'd rather the long term man be in situ as soon as possible in reality. Sentiment and romance is a lovely thing in sport, but these are times of harsh reality. Kenny would need better advisors than Sammy Lee around the place if he was to get it and would be more of a figurehead in my view. None of the staff that Hodgson has brought with him, players included would survive the big cull.

This is an excellent suggestion. Stormer in fact. Pako would unite the players and accelerate everything for Pellegrini.

My only slight doubt about Pellegrini is why nobody has landed him to date? Also saw somewhere he is being lined up for the Chile national role.

Guest PurpleNose

Suggested Pellegrini with Pako a few weeks ago. It just seems a perfect balance.

Whoever is the next manager, we need a really good assistant as well.

My only slight doubt about Pellegrini is why nobody has landed him to date? .

he has only being available for a few months out of that how many clubs who would interest him have had the job available?

Inter- been lining up Rafa for years

Juve- went for Del Neri based mainly on last season I'd guess

AC- like to stay Italian

Us- we fucked up by not appointing him