You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

No but they can seek advice from people who do know and act upon that, immediately.

For me, Roy was brought in to do a steadying job until the club changed hands. If he had exceeded those expectations in the interim great, let him stay on and give him a proper chance. But the fact he has even failed his 'simple' remit means he should go now and we start afresh. We don't have any time to waste.

Spot on.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I suppose it depends if you have faith in the next man. If we had Capello as manager and lost 3 games in a row i wouldn't want him sacked cos i know he's a brilliant club manager. His record shows that.

I can see why his credentials would earn him patience. Essentially, though, it's the managers performance at Liverpool which matters. That is what any credible assessment should be based on. In my view, no such assessment can be made until a few years into his reign when we can look at transfers, league positions etc.

His record at past clubs should only have been looked at - I'm talking about those in charge, here - in the context of his suitability for the job in the first place. Any serious examination would have ruled him out, however on taking the job, I don't think it's then fair to bring up his record as justification to sack him.

I can see why his credentials would earn him patience. Essentially, though, it's the managers performance at Liverpool which matters. That is what any credible assessment should be based on. In my view, no such assessment can be made until a few years into his reign when we can look at transfers, league positions etc.

His record at past clubs should only have been looked at - I'm talking about those in charge, here - in the context of his suitability for the job in the first place. Any serious examination would have ruled him out, however on taking the job, I don't think it's then fair to bring up his record as justification to sack him.

I tried to back him but everyting i thought was wrong about him has been proven right imo.

Hard to fully back someone you have very little faith in. I won't boo at the match or anything but when i'm not at the match and talking about football i tell people what i think of him.

No and there was a time where even that would be classed as unfair. Again, I didn't want him appointed and I'm unimpressed so far but a manager needs time to implement his ideas and shape the squad. That is a principle I will apply to any Liverpool manager, even if I have very little confidence in them.

Anything else is anarchy. Should we sack Hodgson after the Everton game and don't win our next 7 league games, do we then sack his replacement? And the next man?

I have sympathy with this view Kev, but I keep coming back to the players he has. Despite the media portrayal of the squad it should be doing far, far better than it is now.

And the football we're playing is absolutely dire, one of the biggest criticisms of Rafa was the style of play last season and if anything we've regressed even further.

To be honest I was most annoyed with his comments after the Northampton shambles, the scapegoating of that team at the end was a sackable offence in my opinion.

I should probably point out that along with thinking Rafa should have another year, I was also against the "sackings" of Evans and Houllier at the time, even if both were later vindicated.

That's not the precedent we would be setting. If the style of play was promising and we were losing matches due to individual mistakes, bad luck or players not understanding his methods, no one would be calling for Roy's head. The disturbing aspect of Roy's tenure is that we've played our best football precisely when the players have been forced to ignore his turgid system (e.g. Arsenal second half, United at 0-2). Whether you evaluate it over 7 games or 700, his system is wholly inappropriate for a team with top four ambitions.

Yes, it is. But managers grow over time, it took 3 and a half years to find our best system under Rafa. When allowed to get players in to play their system - as Hodgson clearly was unable to do this summer - they tend to get better results; a manager should be a long-term investment and this one has a three-year contract. I'd like him to be given time so we can see what he can do, particularly as the circumstances around the club are radically different than they were are a week ago.

What kind of precedent is it you think we'd be setting?

Yes, it is. But managers grow over time, it took 3 and a half years to find our best system under Rafa. When allowed to get players in to play their system - as Hodgson clearly was unable to do this summer - they tend to get better results; a manager should be a long-term investment and this one has a three-year contract. I'd like him to be given time so we can see what he can do, particularly as the circumstances around the club are radically different than they were are a week ago.

But we still won 2 trophies in his first 2 years. So the signs were promising.

Roy isn't going to be too gutted if he gets the push in the next couple of weeks. He came into the job knowing there was a good chance of a takeover, and the risks that come with it, hence the clause in his contract.

Better for everyone if a high quality replacement can be appointed asap.

All i ask for is a manager that wants to play football and plays players in their correct positions.

If we get relegated can we look at league positions early or is that out of the question?

Roy isn't going to be too gutted if he gets the push in the next couple of weeks. He came into the job knowing there was a good chance of a takeover, and the risks that come with it, hence the clause in his contract.

Better for everyone if a high quality replacement can be appointed asap.

All i ask for is a manager that wants to play football and plays players in their correct positions.

He's been talking about getting his 3 years paid up.

His record at past clubs should only have been looked at - I'm talking about those in charge, here - in the context of his suitability for the job in the first place. Any serious examination would have ruled him out...

You take this, and then add this:

I'd like him to be given time so we can see what he can do, particularly as the circumstances around the club are radically different than they were are a week ago.

You answer your own question. If things change radically (which is rare), you do not set a precedent for normal times.

I wrote this Piece on TIA it basically shows Hodgsons past and what I feel about his ability its quite a big read so beware !

Lets have a serious look at Roys record and his 35 year reign as one of the worlds top managers (according to him anyway), for me his tactics are outdated (about 35 years out-dated strangley enough), he won a few trophys in very poor leagues, no disrespect to former clubs but there is a large difference between the Swedish league and the Premiership.

Roy started his Career with Halmstad of Sweden in 1976 and had a few successful seasons with them notably winning the League in the 1976 and 1979 seasons.

He then went to Bristol City (1980) ..failed spectacularly, and after failing here he went back to Sweden (1983) and picked up a few titles, firstly with Orebro in the 1983 to 85 seasons and then from 1985 to 1990 with Malmo collecting five league titles in a row.

Then moved to Switerland (1990) to manage Neuchâtel Xamax before becoming the Swiss national coach (1992) and taking them to the World Cup Finals in 1994, he then moved to Inter Milan (1995) with mixed results (alot of draws) making Inter a very "midtable team".

He then moved to Blackburn in 1997, In his first full season in charge, Blackburn finished 6th, qualifying for the UEFA cup and appearing to be in the ascendancy - especially as they had been outsiders in the title race for more than half of the season.

Hodgson's second season with Blackburn did not live up to the standards of the first: due to a succession of poor buys – notably the £7.5 million Kevin Davies - Blackburn had a disastrous start to the season and Hodgson was sacked in December 1998, with the club bottom of the league table. (sound familiar).

Hodgson then returned to Inter (1999) and promptly moved on the Grasshopper's for one season then moved on again to Copenhagen (2000) won a title (again a relatively small standard league) before moving on to Udinese(2001) and after six months got fired!

He then managed UAE national side (2002) with mixed success 17 games 4 wins (depends how much you rate UAE as a national football side), he then moved to Viking of Norway (2004) and did reasonably well bringing then from the relegation candidates to a mid table team. He then moved again to become Finland's national team manager (2005) for the Euro 2008 qualifiers, coming 4th in thier group (failing to qualify for the 2008 euros) and collecting 24points the team was said to be very good defensively but criticized for inefficient attacking. Finland played five 0–0 draws in 14 qualification games. (sounds familiar except for the defensive bit)!

Hodgson then moved to Fulham ( Dec 2007) where the narrowly avoided relegation on the last day of the season , the following season he guided his side to a seventh placed finish in the Premier League, the club's highest ever finish, and ensured qualification for the new Uefa Europa League, he guided Fulham to their first major European final in their 130 year history, but this was detriment to their league position slipping down 5 spots to 12th in the league the in the same season.

On the 30th June 2010 Hodgson was named the successor to Rafa Benitez to very mixed reception from the fans.

All in all a very average manager with a very average record, if you take only league games roy has been manager of Liverpool football club his win ratio is only 14%, we may well be in transistion but still the football we are playing is appaling, the tactics are terrible, his insistance on playing players out of position, his insistance on having a "A" team and a "B" team, critising the young players yet failing to put senior players on the bench who may have changed the game, failing to defend his players when other managers critise them (whether rightly or wrongly he should have defended them), critizing fans for thier protest efforts, his woeful defeatist attitude in interviews, and his insistance on playing a player (Poulson) who is so out of form/not fast or good enough for the premiership who when playing for his national side recieved a score of 0/6 and were asking him to stop playing and learn to play another sport is just not good enough!

All in all I am afraid Roy is just not upto the job as a Liverpool manager, I will however give him tell Christmas to change hearts and minds though I have to say the thought of Roy using our last remaining tranfer budget before the new finacial fairness rules come in is very worrying I for one do not dream of a team full of Poulsons!

You take this, and then add this:

You answer your own question. If things change radically (which is rare), you do not set a precedent for normal times.

You're quite right. It's inkeeping with what I posted earlier in this thread that the takeover gives a loophole. If the owners said that Hodgson wasn't what they were after but that they were happy to retain him in an advisors role, or something to that effect, then I'd be more than happy to see him removed. It would be silly to fund him heavily if they don't trust or rate him.

What I'm arguing against is the increasing sentiment on here - one that was expressed well before it became clear that the club wasn't going to die - that he deserves to be sacked for his performance so far. I still think that would be unfair.

Everyone knows I wanted Hodgson out the day he was appointed however the sensible debate and question we need to have now is we now find ourselves in a completely different situation than we were when he was appointed.

The simple question that needs to be asked ASAP is Roy Hodgson the right manger for the future of LFC and if he is not then we need to replace him and put our faith and resources on whoever we decide the new manager should be.

Personally we need to go back to Shanks time a pick a manager that has the abillity to be a great manager and back him as the reality is that the best managers like Jose Mourinho wont want the job.

I would love Holloway but I do accept you cant have a LFC manager rolling around the floor when giving an interview so for me it would then be a straight choice between Owen Coyle or Gus Poyet.

Gus Poyet may just edge for his experience of being around high quality players which is the one drawback in going for a Coyle or Holloway.

Joachim Loew ..I say this everytime the question pops up , the reasons are obvious, and he appears to be the type of manager that NESV would go for if you read about what they did at the Red Sox, either him or take a chance with someone like Didi Hamann, young knows the club and alround top bloke.

Joachim Loew ..I say this everytime the question pops up , the reasons are obvious, and he appears to be the type of manager that NESV would go for if you read about what they did at the Red Sox, either him or take a chance with someone like Didi Hamann, young knows the club and alround top bloke.

Loew and Hamann I could live with. So to speak.

If he carries on fucking up they'll probably give him another month or so, they won't want to remove a manager after just arriving I don't think for fear of fans kicking off. If he starts with Lucas, Poulsen and Meireles tomorrow am just going to guess he only has so long left, unless we win of course.

I'd love us to get Loew too. Players might be a bit intimidated by his cool hair though.

I do think NESV are going to for the director of football approach and look to dilute the role so literally the coach is just a coach. I sort of agree with you that they will appoint a person who is unexpected should they consider a change of manager.

Although I do not see Hodgson as the future, I would like to see the ownership take full stock of what is going on before making any such decisions which is what I assume they will do. Although I wander what sort of dire league position we will be in should our form continue like it has.