You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dear Liverpool supporters,

I would like to say goodbye and thank you for the opportunity to play in this fantastic club. I would like to thank the fans for their support; you're unbelievable. I would also like to thank the staff and my team mates.

I would like to wish the club all the best for the new season, I can see there's a lot of changes taking place and its like a breath of fresh air into the club. I think the club will have a very positive future.

I want the fans to remember me as a player who tried to give his best. My first year here was one of the best seasons and the closest the club have come to winning the Premier League.

Last season was a season for everyone to forget in all ways, which can happen to any club. In football it's important to look forward and forget the past.

I felt it was time for a change and I'm looking forward now to the new challenges which lie ahead.

Best wishes

Albert Riera

hope to christ he knows something we dont

Aw isn't that nice

Guest Pistonbroke
One final dig at Rafa from Riera. So long, enjoy Greece.

Don't particularly like Riera myself but how do you come to that conclusion ?

Don't particularly like Riera myself but how do you come to that conclusion ?

After his previous rant I read the whole bit about a breath of fresh air being Rafa leaving. You could also argue the breath of fresh air is the average cry babies like himself leaving the club.

Prince-Boateng agent

Miele is confident something can still be put in place, especially as Boateng has no shortage of admirers.

He added: "The market is slow right now, even if there are a lot of clubs interested in the player.

"A few days ago I heard that Liverpool and Everton were keen, and also Besiktas. Today I have read that Stoke are interested, but I know nothing about that."

probably just forcing someones hand to get a deal done by saying we;re interested but you never know

Probably nonsense, but as it's a rumour thread:

Temasek Holdings - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Temasek Holdings is an investment company owned by the government of Singapore. With an international staff of 380 people, it manages a portfolio of about S$186 billion (US$134 billion), focused primarily in Asia. It is an active shareholder and investor in - financial services, telecommunications & media, technology, transportation, industrials, lifesciences, consumer, real estate, energy & resources.

Temasek is one of a few global firms with the highest corporate credit ratings by both Standard & Poor's and Moody's, of AAA/Aaa respectively.[1] It has also consistently attained perfect scores every quarter on the US-based Linaburg-Maduell Transparency Index for Sovereign wealth funds, a measure of the openness of government-owned investment funds.[2][3]

In addition, the Government of Singapore has another investment arm, the substantially larger Government Investment Corporation (GIC), which invests primarily the country's foreign reserves.

Contents

[hide]

* 1 History

* 2 Management

o 2.1 Board of Directors

* 3 Investments

* 4 Financial highlights

o 4.1 2004

o 4.2 2007

o 4.3 2008

o 4.4 2009

o 4.5 2010

* 5 Controversy

* 6 See also

* 7 References

* 8 External links

[edit] History

In the early 1960s, the Singapore government took stakes in a variety of local companies, in sectors such as manufacturing and shipbuilding. Prior to the incorporation of Temasek Holdings in 1974, these stakes were held by the Ministry of Finance (the Ministry remains Temasek's sole shareholder). Its initial portfolio was just over US$100 million.

In Jan 2008, The Economist reported that Morgan Stanley had estimated the fund's assets at US$159.2 billion.[4]

On 5 March 2008, Simon Israel, Temasek Holdings’ executive director, appeared in the US House of Representatives before a joint sub-committee of the House Financial Services Committee in a hearing related to foreign government investments in the United States.[5]

On 21 March 2008, the company expressed that it is strictly not a sovereign wealth fund, as it "has to sell assets to raise cash for new investments and doesn't require the government to give approvals". Since it already meets disclosure guidelines and provides more details than sovereign wealth funds, Temasek says it was excluded from an agreement between United States Treasury and the government-run funds of Abu Dhabi Investment Authority and Government of Singapore Investment Corporation (GIC) to assuage US concerns on transparency and non-politicization of investments.[6]

[edit] Management

In January 2002, Ho Ching joined Temasek as a Director; subsequently she was appointed Executive Director in May 2002, and Executive Director & CEO in January 2004. She is the second wife of Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong and daughter in law of Lee Kuan Yew.

On 6 February 2009, Temasek announced the appointment of Charles W. "Chip" Goodyear as a Member of its Board and CEO-Designate, to commence on 1 March, succeeding Ho Ching, who will step down on 1 October 2009[7].

On 21 July 2009, Temasek board and Mr Goodyear mutually agreed that he would not be taking over as CEO, and Ho Ching will instead continue in the position.[8]

[edit] Board of Directors

* Chairman of the Board: S Dhanabalan

* Deputy Chairman of the Board and Chairman Exxon Mobil Asia Pacific: Kwa Chong Seng

* Executive Director and CEO: Ho Ching

* Executive Director and Chairman Asia Pacific Breweries: Simon Israel

* Chairman DBS Group Holdings: Koh Boon Hwee

* Managing Director and Group CEO, ComfortDelGro: Kua Hong Pak

* Managing Director of GK Goh Holdings Ltd: Goh Yew Lin

* Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Finance: Teo Ming Kian

* Chairman, SEB, SAAB AB, Electrolux, Deputy Chairman, Ericsson: Marcus Wallenberg

[edit] Investments

Main article: List of Temasek Holdings' investments

As of 2004, it owns stakes in many large foreign companies, including Standard Chartered, Bank of China, China Construction Bank, ICICI Bank, Global Crossing, as well as many of Singapore's largest companies, such as SingTel, DBS Bank, Singapore Airlines, PSA International, SMRT Corporation, Singapore Power, Neptune Orient Lines and Mediacorp. It also holds investments in public icons like the Singapore Zoo and Singapore Pools, the only legal betting company in Singapore. On October 14, 2004, it announced that it was closing the operational headquarters of ST Engineering and transferring the latter's assets to itself.

About half of its managed assets are external to Singapore and Temasek-linked companies (TLCs) also hold an extensive global portfolio, such as SingTel's ownership of Australian telco Optus, and Singapore Airlines' 49% stake in Virgin Atlantic.

Although 75% of Temasek's holdings is in Singapore, it has set a target of eventually reducing this to only one-third. Another one-third will be in developed markets and the final third is planned for investment in developing economies.

[edit] Financial highlights

Temasek's financial year ends in March and reports are usually made in July-August.

Temasek Holdings's total shareholder return is 17% compounded annually since inception in 1974.[9]

[edit] 2004

* To satisfy legal requirements in issuing bonds to raise money from the public, Temasek reported its accounts to the public for the first time in its 30-year history on October 12, 2004. Net profit was S$7.4 billion (US$4.4 billion) on revenues of S$56.5 billion for the financial year closing on March 2004. Its 2003 profit was S$241 million on revenues of S$49.65 billion in the previous financial year, while its 2002 profit was S$4.92 billion on revenues of S$42.56 billion.

* The 2004 report states that Temasek manages S$90 billion in assets. This represents an average total shareholder return of 18% year-on-year since 1974. Temasek Holdings has increased transparency over the years, opening its books in 2005. Standard & Poor's assigned Temasek Holdings a AAA credit rating for "the best companies". At the time of this report, the various Temasek holdings linked companies held one-third of Singapore's stock market capitalization between them.

[edit] 2007

* Temasek reported a 29% drop in earnings to S$9.1 billion (US$6 billion) reflecting fewer transactions and a cautious outlook of the market for the year. Its portfolio stood at S$164 billion, breaching the US$100 billion mark for the first time and about 27% higher than 2006.[10]

[edit] 2008

* Temasek achieved record profits of S$18 billion (US$12 billion), double that of 2007. This was boosted by asset sales of S$17 billion in the past year. Temasek's portfolio grew to S$185 billion (US$134 billion), an increase of 13% from the previous year, including a rare S$10 billion injection by the Singapore government.[11][12]

[edit] 2009

* On February 10, Temasek said its investment portfolio value fell by 31%, or about $39 billion, from March to November last year.[13]

* On May 28, amidst the Subprime mortgage crisis, Singapore's finance minister defended Temasek's performance in parliament, as the wealth fund has made S$56 billion (US$38.5 billion) in the current market cycle that began around March 2003. In this 6-year period, it achieved a annualised return of 15%, better than the MSCI global equity markets' 6% returns and 'respectably' compared to other reputable institutional investors.[14][15]

[edit] 2010

* On July 8, Temasek reported a 42% full recovery of its portfolio to S$186bn (US$134bn), but net profit fell 26% to S$4.6 billion. S$10 billion new investments were made over the year, with the most recent in resources and energy sectors.

* As of 31 March 2010, total investments within Asia increased from 74% to 78%, OECD dipped from 22% to 20%. About 23% of investments by value are unlisted assets. It is likely to maintain its Asia focus in the near future.

* SingBridge International was established to develop integrated townships and large-scale projects in Asia.

* Agreed fee with one of the top football clubs in the world for takeover. It is anticipated this takeover will be complete early august.

* It cited protectionism in developed countries, the European sovereign debt crisis and asset bubbles in developing economies among risks for a slower recovery.[16][17][18]

Reds to bid for teen sensation - Liverpool FC

Liverpool boss Roy Hodgson has joined the scramble for Ipswich Town starlet Connor Wickham.

Reports suggest Hodgson is set to ask the Anfield money men to offer Ipswich £8.5 million.

Wickham - an England youth international who helped the Under-17s to the European Championship crown in May - has also been watched by Arsenal's Arsene Wenger and Tottenham's Harry Redknapp.

Hodgson had him watched last season and spoke with his advisors about a move to Fulham. They told him they would hold out to see if one of the Barclays Premier League's top six came in ... and now Hodgson is in a position to offer him that move.

Agent: Figueroa close to Reds move - Liverpool FC

Liverpool boss Roy Hodgson is chasing Wigan Athletic fullback Maynor Figueroa.

The Telegraph says Hodgson is believed to be closing in on Figueroa, the Wigan and Honduras left-back.

The player will leave this summer and Liverpool remain confident of agreeing a £6 million fee.

The player's agent, Jean-Marc Goiran, has confirmed that a "deal is almost in place with Liverpool" for the 27 year-old.

Liverpool Midfielder Javier Mascherano: I’m Leaving For £25m With Inter Milan Interested | Breaking Football News

Liverpool midfielder Javier Mascherano added to Reds boss Roy Hodgson’s growing problems when he held “amicable” talks with the manager on his first day back for pre-season training and told him: “I’m off”.

The Argentinian international has been linked with a move away from Anfield since last summer when Barcelona were interested in bringing him to La Liga. With fresh rumours this summer pointing the player towards a reunion with former Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez at Inter Milan, the midfielder is keen to leave the club where his family has never settled at and join the European champions.

The speculation grew after Hodgson confirmed that he had been unable to contact the midfielder directly this summer and tried to play down those concerns by claiming that Mascherano was simply entitled to enjoying his holidays after the World Cup without being bothered.

But the Anfield supremo has now accepted the club are unable to retain the midfielder and has now agreed to let Mascherano leave with the right offer.

“The talks were extremely amicable. It was all done in a very nice way. Javier made it clear that he wanted to leave a year ago when he had the chance to go to Barcelona,” a source close to Mascherano was reported to have said to Soccernet.

“He was asked to stay on for one more year, he agreed, so now it is time for him to go. It was all very pleasant and it is now a question of the two clubs who are interested in him making an acceptable offer to Liverpool.”

Inter Milan are now apparently hoping to move in for the Argentina captain with a reported £25 million offer to arrive soon after. Hodgson will be determined to get as much as possible for the in-demand South American with the money to be reinvested in strengthening a squad and finding a replacement for the defensive midfielder.

However, after the positives of Joe Cole’s signing and captain Steven Gerrard’s public commitment to the club, Liverpool are now facing a fresh crisis with Mascherano finally admitting he wants to leave while star striker Fernando Torres has continued to refuse declaring he wants to stay. Several bookmakers have already suspended betting on the Spanish international joining Chelsea this summer.

Hodgson has already admitted the lack of experienced quality in the current squad and his real challenge to build a decent trophy push next season will perhaps begin now.