You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The big question

Guest Nic

Who do we get to replace Houllier since most of us want him to go. Surely its only worth getting rid of him before the end of the season if we can think of someone better.

My vote is for Fabio Cappello.

I wondered when this question would resurface,I for one want houllier to go but he is still the manager and ill support him at the matches and that.on the question of a replacement,capello would be a dream.I consider him one the greatest managers in europe over the last 15 years or so,his record is immense and if he is interested in the spurs job the surely he'd fancy Liverpool?

Maybe not though cos London will always lure foreigners more than Liverpool and thats a fact,he did buy a leather in st.johns market though before the champs league game that time with roma so maybe he would????? I can see it now,the capello cologne collection on sale in the souvenir shop!

Realistcly though Id go for O'neill meself,I know people say his football is shit but if you won the league with it as Celtic will this season who cares.He turns pooh players into average,good into better and brilliant into class.I think he would do a good job for Liverpool we need a breath of fresh air and an uplifting manager so Id say him but I dunno its hard isnt it?

But as ive said before Ged is still gaffer so its all a bit pointless but makes a good talking point in the pub i suppose.

Put it this way, if the LFC job is up for grabs every manager

in the world bar certain exceptions(slur alex, wenger & one or

two others) would be interested. Im sure they'd fancy a crack

at managing one of the biggest clubs in the world.

Financially sound & with a decent sqaud, I think their would be

many applicants. Capello would be great, he'd attract big names.

Of all the Managers at almost every big club on earth, Martin "we were immense" O'Neill would definitely be my last choice.

I'd rathr take Fat Sam Alardyce than him!!!!!

My favourite would defo be Capello. After him, Ranieri, and after him, me.:angel:

Ranieri? no thank you,O'neill would be decent I reckon and wouldnt waste the cash as much as others would.Capello would be brilliant but I doubt he'd come as I said before.

What about any of these then?

Otmar Hitzfeld?

Sven?

Guus Hiddink?

Mancini?

Van Gaal? no ta...

Alex Mcleish? nah

anyone else wanna throw sum names in

Someone mentioned Koeman once...any thoughts? Trappatoni? What about a Liverpool old boy?...Aldo, Molby, McMahon?

Cappello is class, but I just have a feeling that some continental managers might not be in it for the long haul...they always seem to do the job for a couple of seasons, and then be off.

"O'neill would be decent I reckon and wouldnt waste the cash as much as others would"

You mean he'd buy a load of shite, cheap as chips garbage like Thompson & Hartson :no :party:

O'Neill is NOWHERE near the calibre of manager for LFC.

Two league cup wins combined with relegation battles whilst in teh Premiership. WOO HOO!!! Hold me back!!!

...Forgive me if I don't get too excited.

Not a bad manager by any means. He's good enough for Leicester & Celtic, but certainly not good enough for Liverpool. No way.

The man is tactically inept and his brand of football is like teh Dog & Duck on a Sunday morinig!

Some say "but he's a motivator and a man manager!" So?????

If that was the case then I'd serioulsy much sooner make Steven Gerrard on as player-manager!:whistle:

"O'neill would be decent I reckon and wouldnt waste the cash as much as others would"

You mean he'd buy a load of shite, cheap as chips garbage like Thompson & Hartson :no :party:

O'Neill is NOWHERE near the calibre of manager for LFC.

Two league cup wins combined with relegation battles whilst in teh Premiership. WOO HOO!!! Hold me back!!!

...Forgive me if I don't get too excited.

Not a bad manager by any means. He's good enough for Leicester & Celtic, but certainly not good enough for Liverpool. No way.

The man is tactically inept and his brand of football is like teh Dog & Duck on a Sunday morinig!

Some say "but he's a motivator and a man manager!" So?????

If that was the case then I'd serioulsy much sooner make Steven Gerrard on as player-manager!:whistle:

Robbie Savage has been in the papers explaining why O'Neill would be wonderful for us.:whoops: He's a tactical genius you know - his teams pressure the opposition and his three centre-back system is revolutionary.;)

Guest stevie b

I wish people would stop banging on about ex-reds becoming manager. There isn't one out there qualified to do the job. Times have moved on.

One name who could soon be available is Hitzfeld......................

Hiddink is out as he just signed an extension aty PSV. Our best players have come from inside the club- Gerrard, Owen. Two of our best squad players have come from inside the club- Carra and Murphy. I think we should go domestic, someone who will utilize Academy lads like Semmy and Welsh. We've wasted alot of money on Diao's and Cheyrou's (jury still out, I know). Could Curbishley do the job? Is it too big a step? Strachan- like his fiery style, tell it like it is- but does he tone that down with the pressure of managing Liverpool? Raneri- can't criticize what he says as I can hardly understand him, and he looks like Mr Spocks father. Would Capello run the French out and replace with Italians?

Mcmahon

Molby

Aldridge

Whelan

Rush

Stevie Nicol

that would be my preference -fcuk this lark of a italian or german etc - someone young, with good experience , good footballing knowledge and a football reputation - all of the above more than match those requirements

i was merely saying and im sorry i didnt explain more but i obviously have to i meant by my O'neill not wasting the cash like the others might becasue it would be his first big job with plenty of money,he bought hartson and thompson becasue thats all he could get,I think if we was Liverpool manager he'd buy the players we expect the club to get not wste it on biscan's of the world

The only thing that shows up from this thread is that there is no obvious replacements at the moment.

Martin O'Neill is being slagged for only winning a micky mouse league and buying tosh players, but in the same breath were talking about McMahon and Molby who have hardly set the world alight at Blackpoo or Kidderminster.

Why would Capello swap his finely tuned Roma squad with the Champs League ahead for a Liverpool squad struggling in uefa? I don't believe we can attract the big names at the moment, players or managers, which is why if there was a change at the end of the year, we will see either O'Neill, Curbishley or Steve Nicol taking over.

Would O'Neill have attracted Cisse, LeTallec and Pongolle?

I agree that there's no obvious replacement and GH's departure is not going to be some magic panacea.In my view it's just as likely that any of the suggested replacements will actually do a worse job than him - either by not being up to the job or by wanting to start again and reform the squad in their own image.

People are calling for GH's head without coming up with any names which convince me as being probably (not possibly) better than him.People say that it's the Board's job to come up with a better successor at the same time as thay say sack the Board for not sacking GH.

If he survives until next season then maybe just maybe the Board will have considered the realistic alternatives and taken the view that they're not convinced that there's anyone better available.Sometimes it's a case of better the devil you know etc.