You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Mascherano replacement?

rebel23

Given our financial situation I'd say its imperative we dont waste what we do have on 30 year olds (well he is in October). He's a good player but is injury prone anyway and has no re-sale value.

When was he ever *good*? Flash of "potential", and that was it.

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really like the look of Michael Bradley. He's an excellent all round player, and I think I read that he's only 22? Thought he was about 25-26.

Certainly wouldn't be against Parker if we have to go English. Cattermole is one that could go either way for me - I've seen him look good at times but he would be a gamble.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
liked the look of sweinsteiger at the world cup, van bommel would be another option but a bit on the dirty side, id get shot of lucas as well

Negged. Firstly for the ridiculous name. Secondly for misspelling Schweinsteiger and talking as if we'd have a chance of getting him.

Guest the boy
Jay Spearing?

Replace Javier Mascherano of Argentina and Internazionale with Jay Spearing of Leicester City and Liverpool U14. Superb.

The only player I can see assuming that role is one already within the club: Lucas. Question becomes who takes over from Lucas as the forward thinking of the pair. A Scott Parker, Danny Murphy or Michael Bradley would make me weep. If Hodgson persists with his 4-4-2, which almost all current personnel do not suit, then Gerrard, presuming he stays, would almost certainly end up there, leaving a vacuum in the wide positions or further up front. It's absolutely unpredictable, as is the shape we'll play, whilst Gerrard and Torres' futures are up in the air.

Javier is looking, for sure, to leave Liverpool," A well placed source told Soccernet. "There is no doubt that at the moment he wants to go. Await developments, as Javier has made up his mind."

The only reason Mascherano might stay would be if the clubs interested in him fail to meet Liverpool's valuation.

Barcelona have long been linked with Mascherano but the financial situation at the Nou Camp is far from stable. Inter Milan are looking the most likely destination as Rafa Benitez is keen to be reunited with his hard tackling midfield dynamo.

Just thought i'd post this...not sure why cause its nothing new........ but probably true.

Rafa priced him at 50m if i can remember correctly, so Inter paying 30-35m would mean there getting a deal.

Lets get it done so we can enter the transfer window with money........ instead of Magic beans

id rather we went without one of these road block midfielders, i know most teams have them but a central midfielder shouldnt be playing there imo if he cant tackle or spread the play around, im fed up watching the likes of lucas or mascherano getting the ball just to loose it with a 10yard pass, 40million for both would be damn good business, how we missed alonso in the middle last season, lets hope jose signs wesley and we get him back on the cheap.....................................some chance