You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

England vs USA

If you didn't watch tonight's* Daily Show with John Stewart, make sure you get it on replay, or whatever. John Oliver's report from the US training camp is boss. Unfortunately, I can't get it on YouTube or anything.

(* Thursday's show, if you're in America, obviously.)

And if you've never watched it and you don't know John Oliver, here's an introduction.

John Oliver's World Cup Trip For 'Daily Show' A Dream

"He keeps a signed jersey from his favorite team, Liverpool, hanging in his Comedy Central office."

• Replies 632
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Damn, the daily show seems brilliant, would love to have seen that. Have seen clips on youtube and am sure it used to play on the site before, but now it's just not available outside the US by the looks of it.

Guh, just noticed they're owned by Viacom. They're a nightmare for getting stuff taken off youtube all the time and badly annoying.

Think it will be a draw, England don't tend to start tournaments hitting the ground running and the US will cause them a lot of problems I think. I can't remember the guy's name, the striker who got injured in a car crash, but he looked quality in the Confederations Cup last year and if he was there he could have been dangerous for England, but with Altidore supporting Dempsey, ultimately I don't think they have enough quality to beat England. If anyone can find the Daily Show bits on it, that'd be great.

Ok, I badly, badly loathe viacom after all the songs they blocked from my youtube favourites, so have found the way past the block. For those interested :

HOWTO Watch the Daily Show anywhere Boing Boing

Follow instructions that take about 1 min, (and that info is all over, even on the daily shows forums, so they're clearly not that arsed about viacunt.) then the link's here :

John Oliver Visits the US World Cup Training Camp | Comedy Central Insider | Funny, TV and Comedy Blog

The Daily Show with Jon Stewart - 4oD - Channel 4

Oliver's segment is right after the break (the white line on the timer). Loads of ads to cope with though.

oh RP beat me to it.

Hah, it's probably about as quick actually because of the ads on the channel 4 site. Nice one for finding that though.

edit : Just watched it, awesome stuff.

Edited by Red Phoenix

Cheeseburgers vs Steak and kidney pies

Shite lager vs real ale

Slavery vs colonialism

Roosevelt vs Churchill

Mountains, desert, prairies, everglades vs A hill in Wales, white cliffs, the common

Tom Hanks vs Hugh Grant

Reagan vs Thatcher

Obama vs Cyril Regis

God Bless America

Land that I love

From the 51st state...Canada!

It'll be a repeat of 1776 with an American win against the Redcoats.

Needed the Red Man onside. They may well have but virgin soil epidemics and the curse of fire: the firewater and firearm.

Not too good on my Yankee history but the Louisana Purchase, nicking Alaska for a song from the Ruskies and the policy of Manifest Destiny shaped the world from 1776 on.

Throw in a bit of slavery, Oppenheimer splitting atoms, the invention of ground cow between buns a bit of cheese, John Belushi's famous words---'My advice to you is to start drinking heavily', and someone finally figuring out that all those Mexicans will work for pittance and Bingo! you have superpower.

Needed the Red Man onside. They may well have but virgin soil epidemics and the curse of fire: the firewater and firearm.

Not too good on my Yankee history but the Louisana Purchase, nicking Alaska for a song from the Ruskies and the policy of Manifest Destiny shaped the world from 1776 on.

Throw in a bit of slavery, Oppenheimer splitting atoms, the invention of ground cow between buns a bit of cheese, John Belushi's famous words---'My advice to you is to start drinking heavily', and someone finally figuring out that all those Mexicans will work for pittance and Bingo! you have superpower.

You forgot to mention George Bush's Grandad funding the Nazi's during WW2, The CIA running drugs in exchange for weapons (Olly North) The Gulf of Tonkin episode, The US army openly admitting to protecting the opium crop in Afganistan, The Federal reserve (which is about as Federal as Fed ex, a for profit private bank) engineering the global collapse of the moneymarkets.

But most disgusting of all............ Tom Hicks & George Gillet.

Cheeseburgers vs Steak and kidney pies

Shite lager vs real ale

Slavery vs colonialism

Roosevelt vs Churchill

Mountains, desert, prairies, everglades vs A hill in Wales, white cliffs, the common

Tom Hanks vs Hugh Grant

Reagan vs Thatcher

Obama vs Cyril Regis

God Bless America

Land that I love

From the 51st state...Canada!

I think this one is even...we were the biggest merchants in slavery in the world at one point, especially Liverpool

Guest Numero Veinticinco

I have to say, I'm really looking forward to the game later. I've got the family coming over, then we're all going out to my mate's house where he has a massive marquee with an HD projector. He's the BBQ king, so we'll be well fed. England games are much better when it's part of a party type atmosphere.

Guest PurpleNose
I have to say, I'm really looking forward to the game later. I've got the family coming over, then we're all going out to my mate's house where he has a massive marquee with an HD projector. He's the BBQ king, so we'll be well fed. England games are much better when it's part of a party type atmosphere.

Are you not a vegetarian?

Would have thought BBQs were a bit rubbish for you.