You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Cameron: "Cuts will change our way of life"

Section_31

Is it not her job to accurately report the news?

It is. But she's not accurately reporting the news. She's inventing a situation that hasn't happened, and accusing the man of drawing back when he made it quite clear to Andrew Marr on Sunday that all options were on the table and he was yet to decide on the way forward.

• Upvote 1

It is. But she's not accurately reporting the news. She's inventing a situation that hasn't happened, and accusing the man of drawing back when he made it quite clear to Andrew Marr on Sunday that all options were on the table and he was yet to decide on the way forward.

But she's not inventing anything. Corbyn wanted to whip the MPs to oppose airstrikes, but several of his Shadow Cabinet threatened to resign. So he's had to offer a free vote. As recently as yesterday his people were saying he was going to impose the whip regardless. Evidently he's been persuaded not to go down that route.

bbc main political correspondent. an utter cunt.

https://mobile.twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/671331831611056128

She really is a horrible twisted mouth witch who can't hide her contempt for Corbyn.

The BBC if possible have reached a new low with their coverage of the Labour Party and the vote for war.....

Free calling out Laura Kuenssberg rep

But that doesn't contradict what I (or the journalist) have written. Him not having made up his mind is not mutually exclusive with him having a preference for implementing the whip or him backtracking from that preference.

What a perverse view of the word backtracking.

This is the mature political debate you talk about is it? Where someone weighing up options and then making a decision has to be characterised as backtracking.

"Grown up politics".

Might do a search to see how often you used term during the student fees debate. Just for a giggle.

What a perverse view of the word backtracking.

This is the mature political debate you talk about is it? Where someone weighing up options and then making a decision has to be characterised as backtracking.

No, when someone decides he prefers one course of action, gets his people to put pressure on MPs to fall into line, sends Diane Abbott out onto national radio to say that a free vote "hands victory to Cameron", and then changes his mind under threat of resignations - that is backtracking.

Here's the inside story on Corbyn's climbdown, straight from the rabid Tories of the, er, New Statesman:

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/uk/2015/11/how-shadow-cabinet-forced-jeremy-corbyn-not-change-labour-policy-syria-air

Get Cleggy back. That's what the country been missing, he'd sort Cameron, Corbyn and Isis out with a rose gardend press conference.

Might start one of them an online petitions entitled "bring back Cleggy, happy Xmas,war will be over"

I know can get at least one person to sign it. After that I might be struggling.

Assuming you trust dodgy poll figures put out by the leader's office that don't tally with anyone else's polling.

Why are they dodgy? Because it makes Corbyn and those on his side right? I'm fairly sure the Blairite MPs would've been bouncing off the walls if they thought something was wrong with the poll, so maybe it was fine.

Can you give us a link to some other polls of Labour members?

This too, have you got other polls that we can see Strontium?

Can you give us a link to some other polls of Labour members?

The recent YouGov poll - that is, an actual poll following real polling methodology rather than a tiny sample of self-selecting participants, only 60% of whom were actually Labour members, responding to an email - showed 58% of Labour members against bombing Syria.

Why are they dodgy? Because it makes Corbyn and those on his side right? I'm fairly sure the Blairite MPs would've been bouncing off the walls if they thought something was wrong with the poll, so maybe it was fine.

It was dodgy because it wasn't an actual poll. It was an email sent out by the Corbyn camp asking for views on Syria. They had 107,875 responses, only 64,771 were actual Labour members. They claim to have sampled 1,900 of these, and they chose at random rather than weighting them as a pollster would. It turns out they may in fact actually have only read 100 of the emails, and their 75 percent is literally that - 75 out of 100.

The recent YouGov poll - that is, an actual poll following real polling methodology rather than a tiny sample of self-selecting participants, only 60% of whom were actually Labour members, responding to an email - showed 58% of Labour members against bombing Syria.

A link, Stronts. A link to the YouGov poll of Labour Members on Syria. Please.

It was dodgy because it wasn't an actual poll. It was an email sent out by the Corbyn camp asking for views on Syria. They had 107,875 responses, only 64,771 were actual Labour members. They claim to have sampled 1,900 of these, and they chose at random rather than weighting them as a pollster would. It turns out they may in fact actually have only read 100 of the emails, and their 75 percent is literally that - 75 out of 100.

I'm not an expert in polls so I won't argue this out with you. Your "it turns out" bit isn't confirmed so I'll have to pass on that, but will have a further look into the the random vs weighting bit, because it should come in useful in the future if I can understand it.

And to be fair, yeah, I can't pretend to be a big fan of one poll suggesting anything with a sampling of such a small number of people. I did think it was one of the only accurate ones we had though because it would've been done in a better way than biased media bullshit. Yes, Corbyn wants to back up his point, but I thought that the Blairites would've been onto anything they didn't like in that area, so it would've been done properly.

The 100 emails bit seems shocking though, and surely the media would've been all over that if true.

60% of Labour members voted for Corbyn precisely because he's anti neo liberalism and anti our brutal, utterly pointless, murder campaigns in the Middle East. Presumably some of the people that voted for Cooper, Burnham, and even Kendall, are also against the latter. Therefore why would a figure around 75% be in any way surprising?

• Upvote 1

60% of Labour members voted for Corbyn precisely because he's anti neo liberalism and anti our brutal, utterly pointless, murder campaigns in the Middle East. Presumably some of the people that voted for Cooper, Burnham, and even Kendall, are also against the latter. Therefore why would a figure around 75% be in any way surprising?

I wouldn't be surprised at all, I just have a thing about polls at the same time. That's probably why I added "as far as we know" when first bringing up the 75% bit.