You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rafa's contract and pay off terms

Hermes

May have been asked before but I don't remember seeing it. Were there no perfomance related objectives in this contract?

If there were, surely finishing 7th wasn't one of them. Is this pay off payable no matter how badly the team performs?

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You just know what his counter arguments would be.

No Keane or Alonso money.

I doubt if that would stand up in a tribunal, but even so since Keane was signed we've spent slightly more than we've recouped anyway.

I doubt if that would stand up in a tribunal, but even so since Keane was signed we've spent slightly more than we've recouped anyway.

How do you work that out? I thought the accounts showed a 31m profit on player trading in the last 2 years, no?

May have been asked before but I don't remember seeing it. Were there no perfomance related objectives in this contract?

If there were, surely finishing 7th wasn't one of them. Is this pay off payable no matter how badly the team performs?

Nobody knows the ins and outs. nobody has seen it, read it or let alone understand it.

Of course there were performance related conditions. If he's not allowed to complete his contract he can argue that he should be paid for them as he could have achieved them.

I'm sure the same happened with Houllier.

The one clause they obviously forgot was the one where the contract could be voided if we failed to qualify for the champions league.

If you got sacked, would you not expect your redundency money ?

I know I would if I were kicked out. Is it not a fundamental right ? Therefore why shouldnt he get it ?

If it were dockers, miners or Steel workers would we be so quick to put the boot in and suggest they get nothing ?

If you got sacked, would you not expect your redundency money ?

I know I would if I were kicked out. Is it not a fundamental right ? Therefore why shouldnt he get it ?

If it were dockers, miners or Steel workers would we be so quick to put the boot in and suggest they get nothing ?

Sacked? No. Made redundant? Yes.

There is a difference.

No, the latest accounts show we've made over 20m in players sales since Keane left.

Your an accoutnant arent you ? You should know this.

Sacked? No. Made redundant? Yes.

There is a difference.

So whats the difference between being sacked and redundant in footie manager terms ?

They are both the same thing. Unless he got sacked for gross misconduct or something where a payment wouldnt be required, then he's entitled to a pay off, just as you would if you were sacked/made redundant.

Just as Zola is seeking a pay off, as Ged did previously as our next manager, if he fails will receive.

Your rights if made redundant : Directgov - Employment

Protection against less favourable treatment

Your employer must not treat fixed-term employees less favourably than permanent employees doing the same, or largely the same, job unless there is good reason to do so.

As a fixed-term employee you have the right to:

the same pay and conditions

the same or equivalent benefits package

access to an occupational (company) pension scheme (except perhaps where the fixed-term contract is for less than two years)

be informed about permanent employment opportunities in the organisation

protection against redundancy or dismissal because you are fixed-term

So whats the difference between being sacked and redundant in footie manager terms ?

They are both the same thing. Unless he got sacked for gross misconduct or something where a payment wouldnt be required, then he's entitled to a pay off, just as you would if you were sacked/made redundant.

Just as Zola is seeking a pay off, as Ged did previously as our next manager, if he fails will receive.

Dunno, but you're the one applying it to real-life terms when its blatantly not comparable.

redrosetints - you're a total moron on two fronts; a) thinking being sacked for failing at your job at being made redundant are the same thing and b) defending anyone for being paid a HUGE sum of money for being shit.

Just because that's the way it is it doesn't make it right.

Dunno, but you're the one applying it to real-life terms when its blatantly not comparable.

How is it not comparable ?

Man works on fixed term contract, he's entitled to be compensated if that term is broken. it doesnt matter if its a footie manager or an IT worker, its the same thing.

That they are vastly different in renumberation is besdies the point, essentially, they are employed and protected by law in the same way.

In footie, being sacked is the same as being made redundant.

How is it not comparable ?

Man works on fixed term contract, he's entitled to be compensated if that term is broken. it doesnt matter if its a footie manager or an IT worker, its the same thing.

That they are vastly different in renumberation is besdies the point, essentially, they are employed and protected by law in the same way.

In footie, being sacked is the same as being made redundant.

I'm on a contract. If my boss pulled me in tomorrow and said "Terry, your performance is not good enough, we have to let you go." I wouldn't expect any type of pay off, especially when I'd been sacked for FAILING at my job.

Infact, I've been sacked twice and not had any lucrative pay off. You're talking out of your Rafa shaped ringpiece. Again.

EDIT: They can't afford to sack me anyway. *rubs fingers*

redrosetints - you're a total moron on two fronts; a) thinking being sacked for failing at your job at being made redundant are the same thing and b) defending anyone for being paid a HUGE sum of money for being shit.

Just because that's the way it is it doesn't make it right.

Tom your just a Moron, but name calling aside, its the law, the law protects everyone. If you were kicked out of work and not bpaid any compensation, you'd be the biggest drama queen in the world about it, rightly.

When you take on a job, its relevant to your skills and experience, therefore while one may fail, thats doesnt mean they should nor be copensated. Wether that be an IT worker, who fails to deliver a project on time a saleman who doenst meet targets or a footie manager.

This protects the employee. You cant distinguish between the less well paid on those on higher earnings, as its the thin end of the wedge.

Look at the Vauxhall workers at Ellesmore port or teh Dockers in the 90's.

Wibbling about it in your tango stylee, doesnt change the law or it fairness. if Juve did come in theyd have to pay compo to get him out of it, it cuts both ways.

If the IT worker broke all the computers and infected the network with a virus I doubt he'd get very far in asking for compensation upon being fired.

I'm on a contract. If my boss pulled me in tomorrow and said "Terry, your performance is not good enough, we have to let you go." I wouldn't expect any type of pay off, especially when I'd been sacked for FAILING at my job.

Infact, I've been sacked twice and not had any lucrative pay off. You're talking out of your Rafa shaped ringpiece. Again.

How long had you been employed ? And whats your definition of lucrative pay off ?

Im sure you were paid some redundancy payout, depending on your length of service.

And ter you go with teh insults and those appaling Steive G rumours again, didnt Dave ask for those to stop ? What is it with ART ? why so rude and aggresive ?

Guest davelfc

You would think that a sensible thing to do would be to insert a job performance clause in there somewhere. I mean finishing below 5th should kick in a clause that allows the club to terminate a contract.

That our manager guaranteed a 4th place finish and we finished 7th doesn't really do him any favours either.

You really do have to wonder what level of idiocy allows an airtight contract like the one we imagine he has, given the fragility of football management positions.

Apparently they can't. Regarding sacking, it all depends on what is written in the contract. That's why these guys have lawyers. Rafa's lawyers seem to have earned their money.

wibble wibble wibble

Blindly defending Benitez is one thing. And whilst it's hugely idiotic, illogical, moronic and deeply sad, it's kind of understandable and forgiveable.

But defending anybody for receiving several millions of pounds for being shit at their job?....

I don't give a fuck if it's legal. It isn't right. I don't give a fuck if it's "in his contract", it isn't right.

If the IT worker broke all the computers and infected the network with a virus I doubt he'd get very far in asking for compensation upon being fired.

LOL ! :D

Aye, but at the same time, if he'd succesfully delivered his high level projects for 5 years before the company reduced investment and left him having to sell his shiny new Linux dual core processor servers to be replaced with old 386 NT5 ones, he'd have mitigation would he !

How long had you been employed ? And whats your definition of lucrative pay off ?

Im sure you were paid some redundancy payout, depending on your length of service.

And ter you go with teh insults and those appaling Steive G rumours again, didnt Dave ask for those to stop ? What is it with ART ? why so rude and aggresive ?

£100.

Why are you sure when you have absolutely no knowledge of the circumstances?

And I've just asked my manager and he said I'd get fuck all.

What Stevie G rumour is that then? Jesus, you're a sensitive soul aren't you?