You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Hw does Benitez get away with it?

Mitch

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's see player by player:

1 - Jerzy Dudek (not needed, OK to leave)

3 - Steve Finnan (better squad cover than degen.)

4 - Sami Hyypiä (wanted to leave, could have helped this year)

5 - Daniel Agger

6 - John Arne Riise (Far superior to Insua and Dossena)

7 - Harry Kewell (oh well)

8 - Steven Gerrard

9 - Robbie Fowler (age, that's all)

10 - Luis García (Seperate transfer to the Torres deal)

11 - Mark González (good riddance)

12 - Fábio Aurélio (injured, will go)

14 - Xabi Alonso (the only regret)

15 - Peter Crouch (wanted out, was offered a contract)

16 - Jermaine Pennant (no comment)

17 - Craig Bellamy (Better than anything we've got or had since not named Torres)

18 - Dirk Kuyt

22 - Mohamed Sissoko (replaced by Lucas)

23 - Jamie Carragher

25 - José Reina

26 - Paul Anderson (never got a chance to prove if he was good enough)

28 - Stephen Warnock (Better than any LB we've had since he left.)

29 - Gabriel Paletta (you'd want to keep him?)

32 - Boudewijn Zenden (good player, old)

33 - Neil Mellor (all heart, better off somewhere else)

35 - Danny Guthrie (never good enough)

36 - Adam Hammill (another reserve)

37 - Lee Peltier (who?)

38 - Craig Lindfield (lots of promise, not good enough)

39 - Stephen Darby

Apart from Hyypia and Alonso, I don't even see anything debatable here. And somehow I think that there may have been posts about those two before...

I think the present team is reasonably strong. When Gerrard talks about 3-4 quality players, it could really be just 1-2. We lost last summer 3 important players, and replaced 1.

Just a couple of observstions.

Purslow negotiated the Alonso deal for cash only.

Out of curiosity, how would they give us a player who didn't want to move to England?

You seem to know a lot more than the average Joe about these topics. Any links to back up your wisdom?

Let's see player by player:

6 - John Arne Riise (replaced by Insua, same level)

Having a laugh, right? It's fine to have a crush on Rafa, but the sale of Riise (4m£) and the introduction of Dossena (7 m£) must be one of the worst pieces of business done in football since Schevchenko joined Chelsea. An now we're stuck with a young apprentice on left back which basically leaves the door open every match. You can like or dislike Riise's efforts, but he was fucking brilliant compared to Dossena and Insua. Oh, and Riise's a contender for player of the year in a title winning (?) Rome. Another good one from Rafa.

Edited by WilliamW

Guest PurpleNose
On the way back from Old Trafford a couple of weeks ago I switched on 606 and he was on it laughing at us. Never liked him on that Italian football show on Channel 5 a few years ago either.

Fair enough.

Although if laughing at us was a prerequisite for you not liking them you'll hate most people.

I don't think he's a very good radio show host, or any good in podcasts. He certainly knows his football though. The two books he's written are exceptional.

Just a couple of observstions.

Oh, I agree fully that not all transfers have been successes. I just disagree that the 2006 squad was something to really build on. This squad is. And sadly, it could be right there without two poor summers. We have no margin of error, and as errors have been made, we are where we are.

Riise is better off in Rome, Insua is not as bad as people say, but still a liability, as was Riise.

Oh, I agree fully that not all transfers have been successes. I just disagree that the 2006 squad was something to really build on. This squad is. And sadly, it could be right there without two poor summers. We have no margin of error, and as errors have been made, we are where we are.

Riise is better off in Rome, Insua is not as bad as people say, but still a liability, as was Riise.

He's a very short termist manager.

The 05/06 squad was the one to build on.

You only have to look at the mancs after that season; apparently they were finished after finishing second. They went out and biout Carrick, sold v.Nistelrooy and won the league. Small changes; big results.

Neither Van Der Vaart nor Sneijder were available to us last summer. The only club Sneijder was going to move to was Inter after Madrid more or less dumped him on there doorstep, a move to England was never in the equation for him. This is common knowledge..

That is total bollocks, VDV maybe given his Wifes health problems wanted to stay put, but Snijder was offered to us as part of Alonso deal and Snijder did say last year he'd like a move to England, and cost less than aqualani the genius of rafa eh, Houllier must wonder what he done wrong:wallbutt:

I'm a Benitez man but there have been several monumental blunders in the transfer market over the last two summers.

The Keane money should have been used on Arshavin immediately after Euro 2008

Dossena was a fucking disaster - not sure who filled out the scouting report but they should be shot.

Sneijder should have been brought in instead of Acquilani.

Having a laugh, right? It's fine to have a crush on Rafa, but the sale of Riise (4m£) and the introduction of Dossena (7 m£) must be one of the worst pieces of business done in football since Schevchenko joined Chelsea. An now we're stuck with a young apprentice on left back which basically leaves the door open every match. You can like or dislike Riise's efforts, but he was fucking brilliant compared to Dossena and Insua. Oh, and Riise's a contender for player of the year in a title winning (?) Rome. Another good one from Rafa.

Riise was a woeful defender for us (imo). He was shite for Roma yesterday, at fault for the goals in their 1-2 home defeat. And (of course) also cost us another possible European Champions League Final appearance with his infamous last minute own goal ala Sandy Brown. The Schevchenko link, I havent got a fucking clue what you are going on about with that.

Riise was a woeful defender for us (imo). He was shite for Roma yesterday, at fault for the goals in their 1-2 home defeat. And (of course) also cost us another possible European Champions League Final appearance with his infamous last minute own goal ala Sandy Brown. The Schevchenko link, I havent got a fucking clue what you are going on about with that.

Yes, obviously some selective memory at work here. Insua is a woeful defender. Dossena was absolutely terrible. Johnson is usually in the opposition's half so with him on the pitch we're playing without a right back. If you believe Riise is a woeful defender compared to this lot you better get your head checked.

Any player will play a poor match during a long season, but Ranieri has stated repeatedly that he'd offer Riise a life time contract and that he's one of the first players he picks - in a title challenging Rome. Must be crap, eh?

I also notice you take a cheap shot at Riise's own goal vs chelski. I bet you've taken a piss at Carra on several occasions the last few seasons? I mean, players score own goals by purpose don't they? And I bet you fancy selling Torres after his dreadful miss at Old Trafford this season?

If you can't work out the link between a terrible piece of business + Schevchenko to chelski for 30m I can't help you. Sorry, mate.

The 05/06 squad was the one to build on.

You only have to look at the mancs after that season; apparently they were finished after finishing second. They went out and biout Carrick, sold v.Nistelrooy and won the league. Small changes; big results.

The only thing we had to fix was a bit of pace on the counter too. One or two players added to that squad instead of wholesale rebuilding and who knows.

Yes, obviously some selective memory at work here. Insua is a woeful defender. Dossena was absolutely terrible. Johnson is usually in the opposition's half so with him on the pitch we're playing without a right back. If you believe Riise is a woeful defender compared to this lot you better get your head checked.

Any player will play a poor match during a long season, but Ranieri has stated repeatedly that he'd offer Riise a life time contract and that he's one of the first players he picks - in a title challenging Rome. Must be crap, eh?

I also notice you take a cheap shot at Riise's own goal vs chelski. I bet you've taken a piss at Carra on several occasions the last few seasons? I mean, players score own goals by purpose don't they? And I bet you fancy selling Torres after his dreadful miss at Old Trafford this season?

If you can't work out the link between a terrible piece of business + Schevchenko to chelski for 30m I can't help you. Sorry, mate.

This the same Ranieri that wouldnt buy Alonso because he was 'too slow'?

You're Xabi and you're slow you are: Juve boss Ranieri's stinging rejection of Liverpool's Alonso | Mail Online

Good piece but no mention of Aquilani. if we were to go closer than last season we needed to replace alonso with someone who could make an immediate impact, not someone

a) most of us had never heard of

b) was injured

c) was obviously going to take at least a year to settle in a new country

d) has hardly fucking come off the bench all season

my two biggest problems this season have been our defending from set pieces and forking out 20m odd on a misfit. after what happened with Keane you'd think surely it can't happen again and then it does. dreadful business.

Most people who have never heard of Aquilani need to try watching more football because anyone who hasn't heard of Aquilani must live in a Premiership bubble! Sadly, injuries have prevented him from fulfilling his potential in Italy and for the national team. Rafa allegedly sought the advice of one of the worlds leading surgeons before making a decision to buy Aquilani. The report from the surgeon was positive and Rafa decided to gamble. Although I am not absolutely convinced by Aquilani, I refuse to judge a player who has played only a handful of games in the worlds toughest league.

Nobody knows why he hasn't played, we are not privvy to that information. I assume it is medical but I would prefer not to speculate.

Alonso made the decision to leave and Liverpool made a cool £25 million profit. Rafa signed Aquilani for a down payment of £5 million with the rest in agreed add ons dependent on success. As we have had no success it would be fair to assume the price of Aquilani would be nearer £10 million.

Put yourself in the hot seat, Alonso has just gone and the board have given you a cheque for £5 million to replace the 'quarterrback' of the team. Enlighten everyone on this thread who you would have replaced Alonso with, given you have the sum of £5 million to spend! Not easy is it?

However, somebody offers you a young Italian with fantastic potential for a £5 million down payment with add ons if the signing is successful. Furthermore, one of the worlds leading surgeons gives you the green light re: ankle injury. Do you take the gamble?

Rafa did take the gamble and whilst it hasn't paid off, Aquilani is not the reason we are languishing in 7th place. How would you manage a team devoid of its best players for the largest part of the season with no money to improve the squad. How do you manage a team whose captain has been injured for long spells and when he has played his form has been very poor.

It is easy to criticise from the comfort of your armchair, think about the FACTS before writing such bollocks.

Rafa signed Aquilani for a down payment of £5 million with the rest in agreed add ons dependent on success. As we have had no success it would be fair to assume the price of Aquilani would be nearer £10 million.

No. Here's a thought, why not look at the real figures instead of pulling some out of your arse? They're all available on the internet if you can find anything in google. Chop chop.

However, somebody offers you a young Italian with fantastic potential for a £5 million down payment with add ons if the signing is successful. Furthermore, one of the worlds leading surgeons gives you the green light re: ankle injury. Do you take the gamble?

It is easy to criticise from the comfort of your armchair, think about the FACTS before writing such bollocks.

A deal with a down-payment of cash, with extra staggered payments and add-ons based on future success!?

Wow! Whoever heard of such a thing?

Why aren't more transfer deals structured in this way?

No. Here's a thought, why not look at the real figures instead of pulling some out of your arse? They're all available on the internet if you can find anything in google. Chop chop.

Quality post that mate, I can see alot of thought went in to it from the comfort of your arm chair. The info I provided re: Aquilani fee was from a number of sources, the most creditable one being John Aldridge on his live show. I am sure the clubs published end of season accounts will clarify once and for all.

Quality post that mate, I can see alot of thought went in to it from the comfort of your arm chair. The info I provided re: Aquilani fee was from a number of sources, the most creditable one being John Aldridge on his live show. I am sure the clubs published end of season accounts will clarify once and for all.

Tell you what, would you like to see an official statement from Roma and save yourself some time? Fairly sure a dim view would be held of them lying to their shareholders. Posting from your spec on the Kop of course, you might not have time to read it.

Here's the goods: http://www.asroma.it/UserFiles/988.pdf

I wasn't criticising your information mate, it was your flippant response to my post. Your link confirms that Liverpool did pay a £5 million down payment with the rest in add ons. Which in turn confirms Rafa was only given a £5 million chegue to replace Alonso and I defy anyone to go out into the current market and buy a quality replacement with a £5 million down payment + add ons. A gamble on potential was therefore in my humble opinion justified and may yet pay off, time will tell. I couldn't see anything that would suggest the outstanding balance would be dependent on success so I am going to bollock Aldo for broadcasting false info. To be fair I didn't just get that info from Aldo I got it from within the club but prefer not to say who from. And for the record I don't sit on the Kop.