You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

You would hope so Whelan, but he's been preferred to the likes of Aquilani and Benayoun on a number of occasions when I would personally have played Gerrard in the "Lucas" role and played one of those behind Torres. I think, alongside the away tactics debacle, that has been one of Rafa's biggest mistakes this season. If you're trying to fill an Alonso shaped hole, you have to get your best passers on the pitch together.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You would hope so Whelan, but he's been preferred to the likes of Aquilani and Benayoun on a number of occasions when I would personally have played Gerrard in the "Lucas" role and played one of those behind Torres. I think, alongside the away tactics debacle, that has been one of Rafa's biggest mistakes this season.

Yeah, agree with that, I would prefer Gerrard there more often than not, nice option mind.

I thought that was the big mistake against Birmingham, Aquilani should have started behind Torres allowing him to bring on Kuyt instead of N'Gog.

He deserved his goal. He works hard and tries his best.

As a holding midfielder he's not good enough. But give him a bit of license to go forward, like he had at Gremio, and he looks a different player. Different enough to be considered good enough to start regularly? Probably not, but he looks more confident when he's not having to control the midfield.

It still baffles me with him.

I remember when we bought him and we were talking about him on here.

He was described as a box to box player,a mini Stevie is good way of putting it.

After a few games he looked so lost playing as dm player.

I think we are starting to see the player as he was supposed to be and not as the player someone tried to turn him into.

Rafa with his love for two defensive midfielders tried to turn him into a defensive midfielder to partner Mascherano.

I personally don't mind Lucas. I think he's an half decent player and he'd be much better if the manager took the shackles off him. And maybe we might see a better player.

He did well but i'm not having that he's good going forward cos of two good runs. He's had licence to push on for a lot of the season but his runs have generally been poor and he's gone to pieces when he's got near the goal.

He's made quite a few good runs though and been unlucky in that the pass hasn't quite reached him or he hasn't been spotted. Very happy that one finally hit the mark and he took it.

Guest TK-421
He's made quite a few good runs though and been unlucky in that the pass hasn't quite reached him or he hasn't been spotted. Very happy that one finally hit the mark and he took it.

Spot on.

I'm not sure about that. He runs into traffic a lot and hasn't got the pace to get on the end of through balls, Kuyt suffers from a similar problem. He also has a tendancy to thrash at chances when they fall to him.

Still, i'll be made up if he proves me wrong.

Guest Super Sub

When I seen the way he got the ball under control and then put it in the back of the net,I thought to myself, 'it's just like watching Brazil'!

I'm not sure about that. He runs into traffic a lot and hasn't got the pace to get on the end of through balls, Kuyt suffers from a similar problem. He also has a tendancy to thrash at chances when they fall to him.

Still, i'll be made up if he proves me wrong.

I'm not saying it happens every game but during the season he has made quite a few very good runs that went unnoticed or ignored and others that have been blocked by last ditch defenders efforts.

Its about time one of the good ones found him and fantastic that he took it.

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic?

It was a tad strong but the lad had just played well, scored a goal and then we get 'He's shit'.

I was dead proud when the Lucas song went up last night, and happy to see how much the goal clearly meant to the lad. Some of our supporters need talking to in all fairness.