You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Spearing = Long term replacement for Mascherano?

Best Believe It

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mascherano's best role is a pressing midfielder. He uses his energy and game intelligence to break up the play and join the attack when possible. I can definitely see Jay Spearing doing this...

What we need is a stay-back defensive midfielder that is rarely caught out of position, ala, Alonso to complement Mascherano's role.

Either that, or we need a group of three midfielders who are pressing the opposition like Barcelona do.

Pressing defensive midfeilder?

Stay-back defensive midfielder?

Attacking defensive midfielder?

I'm confused

Good to see hes more level headed and sensible than some of the posters who have been demanding he plays. Seems to have the right attitude too, hopefully keeps improving and working hard and then he will get his chance.

What do you think he can say in an official interview?

"Rafa is a cunt as I'm better than Lucas"?

Pressing defensive midfeilder?

Stay-back defensive midfielder?

Attacking defensive midfielder?

I'm confused

Alonso was a deployed or liked to sit deep in our midfield, and used his positioning.

Mascherano tends to sit high and use his energy and pace to close down opponents quickly. He covers a lot of ground like Sissoko did.

That's all I'm trying to say, Silverlining. Just different roles on the defensive side of the ball.

On the offensive side? Alonso still sat deep and moved the ball around. Mascherano will try to penetrate a bit more.

I see Spearing as a pressing midfielder who will try to penetrate more on the attack. It uses his strengths.

In 1999-2000 Steven Gerrard made 10 appearances, scored one goal and got sent off once (everton)

In 2000-2001 Gerrard made 50 apperances and helped us win league cup, FA cup, Ueafa Cup. He would have been 20 in that year.

Spearing is 20 now. I am not comparing Gerrard and Spearing in terms of type of player. But i am guessing that as spearing said this is his season. Spearing does have probably the best DM in the world in mascha to compete with at the moment. Lets hope he helps us win some trophies this season!!!!!!

In 1999-2000 Steven Gerrard made 10 appearances, scored one goal and got sent off once (everton)

In 2000-2001 Gerrard made 50 apperances and helped us win league cup, FA cup, Ueafa Cup. He would have been 20 in that year.

Spearing is 20 now. I am not comparing Gerrard and Spearing in terms of type of player. But i am guessing that as spearing said this is his season. Spearing does have probably the best DM in the world in mascha to compete with at the moment. Lets hope he helps us win some trophies this season!!!!!!

Good analysis

I've hardly seen him play, but when I have I've wondered what all the fuss was about. He looked very average and I'd be surprised if he played regularly for a top half Premiership club. This has to be his breakthrough season, he's no longer a kid and there is little competition ahead of him in the role especially when Mascherano goes.

He'll never be first choice like Josemi.

*smiley face here*

I've hardly seen him play, but when I have I've wondered what all the fuss was about. He looked very average and I'd be surprised if he played regularly for a top half Premiership club. This has to be his breakthrough season, he's no longer a kid and there is little competition ahead of him in the role especially when Mascherano goes.

See also: Lucas.

Few of my best mates are good mates of Jay. Said he's been getting built up on the weights in the gym by the club as he's obviously not going to grow much taller so they're filling him out. Reckon he has a big future here Jay, good luck to him as he's a real sound lad by all accounts.

That's good to hear. He has to put on even a bit of weight in muscle.

We seem to have a few players who are too weak when they leave the academy. Darby is another.