You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Spearing = Long term replacement for Mascherano?

Best Believe It

From the offal:

SPEARING REVEALS UNITED FRUSTRATION

Jay Spearing admits Manchester United's dominance throughout his childhood was hard to stomach - and the Wirral-born midfielder is determined to help Liverpool reclaim their top dog status.

Spearing was just one-year-old when Kenny Dalglish last brought the title back to Anfield and his early football memories are marred by triumphs down the M62.

The youngster's ascent towards the first team has coincided with Liverpool's re-emergence as genuine championship contenders - and he's desperate to play a part as the Reds look to finally overhaul their north-west rivals.

"For a local lad to win the league would feel even better but it's what this team wants," Spearing told Liverpoolfc.tv. "Any trophy is nice but the league is the one we've wanted for so long.

"I'm too young to remember the last time we won it. It was frustrating seeing United near the top all the time but in the past couple of years we've got closer. Hopefully this season or next our time will come."

Spearing is one of just six first-team players at Melwood during the international break ahead of a massive week in Liverpool's season which culminates in the visit of United.

First though, the Reds face a tricky trip to Sunderland before attempting to get back to winning ways in the Champions League against Lyon.

Though three victories would be the perfect tonic following defeat to Chelsea, Spearing does not believe next week will define Liverpool's campaign.

"I don't think it will be defining. There are a lot of games left to be played," said the youngster.

"Anything could still happen and any team can have a mix-up. We saw that when Wigan beat Chelsea. We've got plenty of time to get the good results that we need."

Meanwhile, Spearing has revealed how Rafa Benitez wants him to master the role Javier Mascherano has perfected over the last few years.

He explained: "It's more tactical understanding than anything else. Rafa wants me to become a defensive midfielder and to understand the role and the positional side of things.

"It's the heart of the team here because you've got to get forward if you can while protecting the back four. It's a key area that we look at a lot."

Spearing has made the bench five times this season without getting on, though he started our Carling Cup victory over Leeds.

The energetic midfielder is happy with his progression during what he believes is his most important season to date.

"You look at the positives and think about how you can change the game if you get on," said Spearing. "There's no point sitting there thinking, 'I'm not going to get on'.

"It's exciting. If you don't get on, you just get ready for the next game and hopefully the chance will come.

"The coaches have told me I'll be involved a lot more this season. This season I've been on the bench a few times and it's a big progression. Last year I made the bench maybe two or three times. I've doubled that already and we're only in October.

"It's the most important season of my career so far. I'm involved with the first team every day now and the boss, Sammy Lee and the rest of the players are there looking at me every day.

"This is the season where I've got to show I'm here to stay and show what I can do."

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From the offal:

SPEARING REVEALS UNITED FRUSTRATION

Jay Spearing admits Manchester United's dominance throughout his childhood was hard to stomach - and the Wirral-born midfielder is determined to help Liverpool reclaim their top dog status.

Spearing was just one-year-old when Kenny Dalglish last brought the title back to Anfield and his early football memories are marred by triumphs down the M62.

The youngster's ascent towards the first team has coincided with Liverpool's re-emergence as genuine championship contenders - and he's desperate to play a part as the Reds look to finally overhaul their north-west rivals.

"For a local lad to win the league would feel even better but it's what this team wants," Spearing told Liverpoolfc.tv. "Any trophy is nice but the league is the one we've wanted for so long.

"I'm too young to remember the last time we won it. It was frustrating seeing United near the top all the time but in the past couple of years we've got closer. Hopefully this season or next our time will come."

Spearing is one of just six first-team players at Melwood during the international break ahead of a massive week in Liverpool's season which culminates in the visit of United.

First though, the Reds face a tricky trip to Sunderland before attempting to get back to winning ways in the Champions League against Lyon.

Though three victories would be the perfect tonic following defeat to Chelsea, Spearing does not believe next week will define Liverpool's campaign.

"I don't think it will be defining. There are a lot of games left to be played," said the youngster.

"Anything could still happen and any team can have a mix-up. We saw that when Wigan beat Chelsea. We've got plenty of time to get the good results that we need."

Meanwhile, Spearing has revealed how Rafa Benitez wants him to master the role Javier Mascherano has perfected over the last few years.

He explained: "It's more tactical understanding than anything else. Rafa wants me to become a defensive midfielder and to understand the role and the positional side of things.

"It's the heart of the team here because you've got to get forward if you can while protecting the back four. It's a key area that we look at a lot."

Spearing has made the bench five times this season without getting on, though he started our Carling Cup victory over Leeds.

The energetic midfielder is happy with his progression during what he believes is his most important season to date.

"You look at the positives and think about how you can change the game if you get on," said Spearing. "There's no point sitting there thinking, 'I'm not going to get on'.

"It's exciting. If you don't get on, you just get ready for the next game and hopefully the chance will come.

"The coaches have told me I'll be involved a lot more this season. This season I've been on the bench a few times and it's a big progression. Last year I made the bench maybe two or three times. I've doubled that already and we're only in October.

"It's the most important season of my career so far. I'm involved with the first team every day now and the boss, Sammy Lee and the rest of the players are there looking at me every day.

"This is the season where I've got to show I'm here to stay and show what I can do."

Glad to see he has his head on his shoulders. He will be a world class player.

Glad to see he has his head on his shoulders. He will be a world class player.

Crazy comment – and one of the reasons Spearing will find it so hard to break through as there are vastly over inflated expectations by some of this kid at this point of his career.

Here comes the can of worms.

I watched the interview this is taken from and Jay comes across as been a level headed lad who knows that he is on the brink of the team and needs to carry on as he is.

Luckily the lad himself has not subscribed to the 'put a transfer request in' due to not getting a game against Burnley and is continuing to work hard.

I think he would make a good defensive midfielder due to the fact he is a 'terrier' like tackler of the ball but he also has the advantage of been a good passer as well.

Jay admitted himself in the interview that he lacks tactical awareness and its something that he is working on but obviously that will come with experience and playing games.

Rafa's view of his role in the side is interesting. I would have thought his game was more suited to play the slightly more advanced of our central midfielders.

I really hope he makes it and he seems to be doing everything in his power to do so. I reckon Rafa and Sammy Lee really rate him as well.

Crazy comment – and one of the reasons Spearing will find it so hard to break through as there are vastly over inflated expectations by some of this kid at this point of his career.

Here comes the can of worms.

Some people work well under pressure and others dont. The world class players can cope with the pressure and the just average ones cant.

Just a comment- if you cannot cope with the pressure then you aint gonna be world class- in my oppinion.

I've hardly seen him play, but when I have I've wondered what all the fuss was about. He looked very average and I'd be surprised if he played regularly for a top half Premiership club. This has to be his breakthrough season, he's no longer a kid and there is little competition ahead of him in the role especially when Mascherano goes.

Some people work well under pressure and others dont. The world class players can cope with the pressure and the just average ones cant.

Just a comment- if you cannot cope with the pressure then you aint gonna be world class- in my oppinion.

I suppose it depends on your view of world class. To me world class is been the best. I would call a squad of 33 (i.e. 3 for every position) of the best players in the world as world class.

Spearing has to have a lot more then just coping with pressure and been a very good footballer to be world class. He has to be superb, and I fear that comments about him been talented enough to be world class are unfair and put huge pressure on a lad that doesn't deserve it.

I've hardly seen him play, but when I have I've wondered what all the fuss was about. He looked very average and I'd be surprised if he played regularly for a top half Premiership club. This has to be his breakthrough season, he's no longer a kid and there is little competition ahead of him in the role especially when Mascherano goes.

I agree with that, but I would quite like to see him given a go - I think he'll get an increasing amount of games as we get nearer to January. We won't want to jeopardise Mascherano's fitness if we're going to part company with him in the next window.

If Aquilani can't stay fit, it could mean we're going to see a midfield of Lucas and Spearing in the second half of the season.

I agree with that, but I would quite like to see him given a go - I think he'll get an increasing amount of games as we get nearer to January. We won't want to jeopardise Mascherano's fitness if we're going to part company with him in the next window.

If Aquilani can't stay fit, it could mean we're going to see a midfield of Lucas and Spearing in the second half of the season.

frazer.jpg

Guest Dog Chaser

I think that Spearing has the attributes of a player who can player further forward for the team with his keen eye for a pass, ability to find space and a decent shot also. If retraining him into the 'mascher' role will give him more chance of playing for Liverpool first team, then fair play to the lad.

I saw Jay playing in a youth game just before Istanbul. He was the best player on the park by a mile. Bags of ability and never shut up for 90mins. I spoke to Steve Heighway afterwards and he was absolutely convinced that the lad had everything required to make it in the game.

Haven't seen that much of him since but against Leeds he hardly wasted a ball and looked the part. We can't really comment on how he'd perform against bigger opposition until he gets a chance.

Mascherano's best role is a pressing midfielder. He uses his energy and game intelligence to break up the play and join the attack when possible. I can definitely see Jay Spearing doing this...

What we need is a stay-back defensive midfielder that is rarely caught out of position, ala, Alonso to complement Mascherano's role.

Either that, or we need a group of three midfielders who are pressing the opposition like Barcelona do.