You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

I think Miliband spotted the 'engaging with voters' thing right away. He has been up and down the country meeting people. It's just there's a slight problem... he's Ed Miliband. It's like knowing all you have to do to win the Wimbledon is hit the ball back into an empty court, but finding out that you've got no racquet. The idea is right, the execution seems beyond him. I still think Labour will probably win the election though. Shouldn't be too difficult to bang the sure start, NHS, bedroom tax drums to victory. Fact is, far less people support Tories than did last time, and way less will support LDs. I suspect lots of the voters who went for LDs will go for Labour and most of the Tories votes from outside their core support (you know, like S*n readers who voted for them last time) will either not vote or will go UKIP. I suspect The Scum and Mirror will support Labour this time around.

GE too close to call imo.  I think if the economy continues to improve and Cameron gets some sort of superficial deal form the Germans on EU reform that he can sell then the Tories will win . That will mean boundary reform and should the Scots fuck off Labour are really struggling to win an overall majority any time soon.. Its a critical election this for both main parties.even without the Scottish dimension.

I agree that Ed " engaging" with voters is like Rolf hosting a children's party.

An improving economy, the association of Balls in particular, with the ecomomic shortcomings of the last Labour government, and a shadow front bench lacking star quality, makes the result of the next GE difficult to call. The unknown being what damage UKIP will do to the Labour and Tory vote, rather than how many seats they will win.

A lib dem party with a new leader after the election also makes guessing future coalition talks pretty uncertain.

I agree that Ed " engaging" with voters is like Rolf hosting a children's party.

An improving economy, the association of Balls in particular, with the ecomomic shortcomings of the last Labour government, and a shadow front bench lacking star quality, makes the result of the next GE difficult to call. The unknown being what damage UKIP will do to the Labour and Tory vote, rather than how many seats they will win.

A lib dem party with a new leader after the election also makes guessing future coalition talks pretty uncertain.

UKIPs influence on the result of the GE is being massively overstated imo. Drama queens like Nick Robinson are trying to claim they have  caused some sort of earthquake but a small tremor will be the footnote in political history. book. The Lib Dems will are showing their true colours and despite Nick Clegg's brave experiment with the real world of actually governing the country the grass roots probably prefer their traditional pastime of moaning about nuclear weapons and free school meals. They wont be hopping into bed with anyone after the next election partly because of the realities of real politics are all too much for their delicate stomachs and probably because they will be down to handful of seats anyway. 

The battle will be between Cameron and Milliband on the traditional issue of the economy with the EU and Immigration high on the agenda.

Provided the economy is going in the right direction with unemployment still falling and he has some half credible plan to stop migration then Cameron will be likely to win. His trump card is the referendum on the EU which Labour have stupidly ruled out and which UKIP couldn't possibly deliver . Even the thickest of the thick living in Stupidville, Essex will realise that the only chance they have of getting out of the EU is to vote Tory and get a referendum. Labour need a game-changer and soon.

• Upvote 1

Fair comment Magicrat.

My only disagreement is that I think that the Lib Dems will have enough seats at the next election to carry significant influence. They may not enter into a coalition, but instead be available on a vote by vote basis depending upon what is offered to them.

Clegg - Wimpy Crying Bent Over Cunt

Cameron - Eton Trifle Bullingdon Posh Out Of Touch Twat Of A Cunt

Milliband - Weird Looking Untrustworthy Cunt

Farage - Drunk Racist Shit Cunt 

Don't fancy any of them as our leader. 

I'd prefer either Morrisey, Russell Brand or Johnny Vegas. 

Fair comment Magicrat.

My only disagreement is that I think that the Lib Dems will have enough seats at the next election to carry significant influence. They may not enter into a coalition, but instead be available on a vote by vote basis depending upon what is offered to them.

Hung Parliaments are the exception and whilst the polls may indicate that's on the cards today it would surprise me the Lib Dems held the balance of power again. Probably a huge relief to their traditional support

I think Miliband spotted the 'engaging with voters' thing right away. He has been up and down the country meeting people. It's just there's a slight problem... he's Ed Miliband. It's like knowing all you have to do to win the Wimbledon is hit the ball back into an empty court, but finding out that you've got no racquet. The idea is right, the execution seems beyond him. I still think Labour will probably win the election though. Shouldn't be too difficult to bang the sure start, NHS, bedroom tax drums to victory. Fact is, far less people support Tories than did last time, and way less will support LDs. I suspect lots of the voters who went for LDs will go for Labour and most of the Tories votes from outside their core support (you know, like S*n readers who voted for them last time) will either not vote or will go UKIP. I suspect The Scum and Mirror will support Labour this time around.

I think the other big problem with this is that it frequently looks staged. Labour politicians meeting the people - who just all happen to be Labour supporters, Tory politicians meeting the people - who just all happen to be Tory supporters, and so on. It really doesn't fool the public and when they try to do something real or spontaneous it invariably ends up back firing on them because they are so out of touch (think Gordon Brown and the "bigoted woman" or the one recently when someone didn't have enough change to pay for a portion of chips).

As for the next election I'm not sure how it will pan out. Looking at the numbers for all post-war elections there isn't really any evidence of movement of votes between LD and Tories whereas there does appear to be a link between Labour and LD so Labour should benefit from the decline of LD. But the minor parties will surely continue to increase their share of the votes (11.8% at the last election). I reckon it will be pretty neck and neck between Labour and Tories in terms of votes cast. How that manifests in seats I'm not sure but it wouldn't be a surprise if we end up with no overall majority again. If I had to bet on one or the other my money would be on the Tories if the economy and unemployment keep moving in the current direction.

Clegg - Wimpy Crying Bent Over Cunt

Cameron - Eton Trifle Bullingdon Posh Out Of Touch Twat Of A Cunt

Milliband - Weird Looking Untrustworthy Cunt

Farage - Drunk Racist Shit Cunt 

Don't fancy any of them as our leader. 

I'd prefer either Morrisey, Russell Brand or Johnny Vegas. 

If I had to choose it would be Clegg because he can actually claim to have put the country ahead of his party ( and his popularity ) and I do think the Lib Dems have put some sort of brake on zealots like Gove.

The rest are cunts as you correctly observed

If I had to choose it would be Clegg because he can actually claim to have put the country ahead of his party ( and his popularity ) and I do think the Lib Dems have put some sort of brake on zealots like Gove.

The rest are cunts as you correctly observed

Under Clegg we would be living under Scottish rule within a week 

UKIPs influence on the result of the GE is being massively overstated imo. Drama queens like Nick Robinson are trying to claim they have  caused some sort of earthquake but a small tremor will be the footnote in political history. book. The Lib Dems will are showing their true colours and despite Nick Clegg's brave experiment with the real world of actually governing the country the grass roots probably prefer their traditional pastime of moaning about nuclear weapons and free school meals. They wont be hopping into bed with anyone after the next election partly because of the realities of real politics are all too much for their delicate stomachs and probably because they will be down to handful of seats anyway. 

The battle will be between Cameron and Milliband on the traditional issue of the economy with the EU and Immigration high on the agenda.

Provided the economy is going in the right direction with unemployment still falling and he has some half credible plan to stop migration then Cameron will be likely to win. His trump card is the referendum on the EU which Labour have stupidly ruled out and which UKIP couldn't possibly deliver . Even the thickest of the thick living in Stupidville, Essex will realise that the only chance they have of getting out of the EU is to vote Tory and get a referendum. Labour need a game-changer and soon.

Spot on. UKIP will not win any seats imo.

The only thing I disagree with is if anyone needs Clegg after the next election I think Clegg will go for it on the basis that they have nothing left to lose. Even if they have a complete mare they will still get about 20 seats as Stronts has predicted.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

That is your opinion. It isn't one that many will share I suspect.

It's not really an opinion as much as it is a more accurate assessment based on a wider range of indicators. Quite honestly, anybody suckered by the bogus hyperbolic bragging about unemployment is a fool and anybody bigging up the change in the economy is a bit of a retard.

I think many people are looking at the news about the growing economy and asking when it's going to filter through to them. I think a lot of people understand that the unemployment figures have been hashed.

• Upvote 1

Guest Numero Veinticinco

and you will note that I said current direction - not right direction.

Rrright. So if you're not suggesting they're going in the right direction - keeping the preceding sentence in mind - what were you suggesting? Pull the other one.

It's not really an opinion as much as it is a more accurate assessment based on a wider range of indicators. Quite honestly, anybody suckered by the bogus hyperbolic bragging about unemployment is a fool and anybody bigging up the change in the economy is a bit of a retard.

I think many people are looking at the news about the growing economy and asking when it's going to filter through to them. I think a lot of people understand that the unemployment figures have been hashed.

Are you suggesting that the economy is still in recession and unemployment is increasing?

Not if they are voters in an election you want to win.

True.

I'd question just how many people on the ground think that unemployment and the economy are going the right way. Hard to feel the good vibes from a London housing bubble if you live in Rotherham on  a zero hours contract.

• Upvote 1

True.

I'd question just how many people on the ground think that unemployment and the economy are going the right way. Hard to feel the good vibes from a London housing bubble if you live in Rotherham on  a zero hours contract.

I can't speak for anyone in Rotherham but I can tell you how it feels from the perspective of a middle-aged man from Kirkby who has no job and who receives absolutely no benefits, pensions or income whatsoever if you are interested?

Neither the economy nor unemployment are going in the right direction.

With unemployment reducing, and the UK officially, statistically, out of recession, and into growth, I can only assume you have some kind of perverse death wish for both.

It is true that part time working, zero hours contracts, and cruel benefit entitlement squeezing have helped reduce the unemployment figures. It is also true that there is still much for the economy to deliver, and to deliver more equitably across the country. But it does your reservations about the above, which I agree with, no favours to ignore prevailing trends. You are smarter than that.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Are you suggesting that the economy is still in recession and unemployment is increasing?

Is that what you got from my comments or are you just trying to reduce what I've said down to a one liner?

Guest Numero Veinticinco

With unemployment reducing, and the UK officially, statistically, out of recession, and into growth, I can only assume you have some kind of perverse death wish for both.

It is true that part time working, zero hours contracts, and cruel benefit entitlement squeezing have helped reduce the unemployment figures. It is also true that there is still much for the economy to deliver, and to deliver more equitably across the country. But it does your reservations about the above, which I agree with, no favours to ignore prevailing trends. You are smarter than that.

You'd hope with as much education and professional experience in the subject you'd hope I was a touch smarter than you saying something stupid and pretending it's my opinion, yes.