You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

All new transfer speculation 09

Megadrive Man

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aquilani, Silva and Distin would be excellent imo and make us better overall. Alonso was not a household name when he signed and Rafa turned him into a lot of people's favourite player so i am sure he can do the same again. Add Tuncay into the mix and we come out of it even stronger imo.

We've bought Villa? Happy times!

Fixed it for ya:

Liverpool to move for David Villa once Xabi Alonso's move to Real Madrid is complete - Telegraph

Liverpool to move for David Villa once Xabi Alonso's move to Real Madrid is complete

Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez is expected to make a move for Valencia's David Villa once Xabi Alonso's £30 million move to Real Madrid has gone through.

With Alonso guaranteed to leave this summer having submitted a transfer request earlier this week following months of speculation, Benitez and his scouting team have been on the look out for a suitable replacement.

According to the S*n, Alonso is expected to complete his deal with Real within the next 24 hours giving Benitez enough disposable cash to pair Villa up with his compatriot Fernando Torres.

Liverpool eye Aquilani Liverpool are said to be confident of their chances of snapping up the 26-year-old, who has already turned down offers from Real and Barcelona this summer, but have prepared a back up plan should they encounter any obstacles.

If signing Villa evades the club, Roma midfielder Alberto Aquilani, 24 is also on Benitez's radar.

While he would not come cheap - Roma rate their home-grown star at £30m - there are signs that his club would not stand in the way of a transfer to Liverpool.

Roma's financial situation puts them in a position where they are unable to object to big money transfers, which plays into the hands of Benitez.

There is currently an ownership row surrounding the club, after the agent Vinicio Fioranelli, representing a Swiss corporation saw his takeover bid collapse

Sky Sports | Football News | Premier League | Liverpool | Rafa eyes Alonso replacement

Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez admits he is now trying to find 'the best replacement' for Xabi Alonso after agreeing to sell the midfielder to Real Madrid.

Alonso has passed a medical in the Spanish capital and is close to finalising his protracted move to the Santiago Bernabeu.

The Spain international's departure will boost Benitez's transfer budget by around �30million and the Reds chief is lining up replacements.

Roma's Alberto Aquilani and Juventus' Christian Poulsen have both been mooted as potential signings for Benitez, who has only brought in Glen Johnson during the summer.

Benitez concedes that Alonso had been looking to leave Anfield since the end of last season and is confident Liverpool have received a fair price.

Having been resigned to the 26-year-old returning to La Liga, Benitez confirmed he has been assessing candidates to fill the void created by Alonso's exit.

"We would like to keep him, but as soon as he told us that he wanted to leave we started working, looking for players and trying to do the best deal for the club," Benitez told the club's official website. �

"It has been too long, since May, that he told us he wanted to leave and after the official transfer request we were working very hard. �

"The first idea was to keep him, and the second one was to find the best price and the best replacement for us."

I have made myself available to Rafa to cover Centre-mid. At 40, some say I am passed my best. But I would argue I was never actually that good anyway.

I have lost a bit of weight recently and at 16 and a half stone, I won't get knocked off the ball to easily.

If it's between me and Cattermole then it should be a close call.

Sign Micah Richards who can play at centre back or right back as cover for Glen Johnson , Ashley Young who can play on both wings and Steven Defour as Xabi Alonso's replacement.. Sell dossena and buy a new left back.. then sell Voronin and buy a back up striker like Huntelaar or Negredo.

Sign Micah Richards who can play at centre back or right back as cover for Glen Johnson , Ashley Young who can play on both wings and Steven Defour as Xabi Alonso's replacement.. Sell dossena and buy a new left back.. then sell Voronin and buy a back up striker like Huntelaar or Negredo.

It's all so easy

You're interested in buying?

I've just been doing some thinking. And I am now pretty fucking sure, that Rafa is going to buy a player who can play as a second striker this summer. Why?

Exhibit A: The purchase of Keane last summer

Exhibit B: Being in for Arshavin in january

Exhibit C: Being in for Tevez in may

All three of them are smallish and are (or should be in theory) able to play upfront or in any of the positions behind the striker in our 4-2-3-1.

Who could fit that bill? Villa maybe, if we could get rid of all the squad shite. Other than that, I don't know.

I've just been doing some thinking. And I am now pretty fucking sure, that Rafa is going to buy a player who can play as a second striker this summer. Why?

Exhibit A: The purchase of Keane last summer

Exhibit B: Being in for Arshavin in januaryExhibit C: Being in for Tevez in may

All three of them are smallish and are (or should be in theory) able to play upfront or in any of the positions behind the striker in our 4-2-3-1.

Who could fit that bill? Villa maybe, if we could get rid of all the squad shite. Other than that, I don't know.

Did'nt know that, would have been brilliant that.