You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

South Road

Taking my bird out for a few scoops and a bite to eat later. Anyone got good reccomendations for places to eat near there? Even a pub with decent food would do as she isn't really a "foodie" person. I know of the Taverna, Tapas Tapas and that french one.

Any other ideas? Rep will be administered if it leads to me getting a gob-job later

Nicola's is a nice Italian restaurant mate.

Don't go the Alex or Bar South inless your a meat head called "Jay Macca".

That the one that does the awesome kebabs that come with sparklers and on their own stand?

Would highly recommend 'El Nino'. Spanish Tapas place near the Lloyds Bank. Very nice food and somehow fitting for somebody from TLW !

Better or worse than Tapas Tapas?

I used to live in King Street, off Brightom Road, Tony Coleman ( ex Man City) ran The Alex then.

I live in King street now. As far as I remember Tony Coleman never ran the Alex but he had the Beach bar on South Road but sold up & went to Australia about 1980/81. My dad knew him years ago when he used to be raiding down the wings for Malcolm Allison's City. He's told me a few tales about him hiding in the Railway & Allison coming in looking for him! Those were the days!

South Road now is infested by loons who are Tony Montana clones. I'd put the fucking lot down, but that's another story!

• 14 years later...

Waterloo is a decent area, with nice areas like Crosby and Blundellsands skirting it.

South Road has always been considered the roughest part of it, but I think the pubs that people talked about in that vein  are much quieter now. Can't do much better for amenities, shops and transport links. Are they looking to live there or rent out ?

Yes, the elephant in the room is South Road itself which is a very busy road, but if you are enough away from the immediate bustle from it there are some lovely houses and parks in the area. The schools are pretty good around there and  don't think there are too many anti-social issues with kids etc. Ideal for trains and buses going either way to Southport direction or Liverpool City Centre direction. Good luck.

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, sir roger said:

Waterloo is a decent area, with nice areas like Crosby and Blundellsands skirting it.

South Road has always been considered the roughest part of it, but I think the pubs that people talked about in that vein  are much quieter now. Can't do much better for amenities, shops and transport links. Are they looking to live there or rent out ?

IMG_4368.jpeg

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Strontium said:

What's this area like these days? I've been "persuaded" to view a house in a street off South Road; my missus and her mum liked it, although they know even less about the area than me. I've heard bits, little of it good.

If you've got - or you're planning to get - a dog, the dunes and the beach are about as good as it gets for a walk.

(Actually, you don't really need a dog for that.)