You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Thoughts On Tony Mowbray ?

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting analogy of Mowbray coming to us :

If I were to sum up Albion under Mogga in the EPL (forgive me if this sounds crass): it was a bit like watching the Polish cavalry charging at German tanks on horseback at the beginning of WW2! Bound to end in disaster, but you had to admire their style!

What was 1960 ? You not thinking of 1690 and getting yer numbers mixed up ?

The first time it was on these shores, in Glasgow.

You need to come on here more often, there is nobody I've known on here that is easier to wind up. :telloff:

"See you Jimmy.........I'll smash yer fuckin' face in".

The first time it was on these shores, in Glasgow.

You need to come on here more often, there is nobody I've known on here that is easier to wind up. :telloff:

"See you Jimmy.........I'll smash yer fuckin' face in".

Aye, I've bitten a couple of times tonight, still wet behind the ears on here, need to watch out for you pesky kids !!

Celtic are a genuinely huge club, but the problem is that the money involved in the 'Champions League' has distorted the natural hierachy of the game. Clubs such as Celtic, Red Star Belgrade, Anderlecht, Steua Bucharest, Rapid Vienna etc. who were previously able to compete at the highest level in Europe have been frozen out, now even teams such as Ajax, Marseille and Benfica are not able to compete and it doesn't look at all likely there will be a winner from outside England, Spain or Italy any time soon.

It's not so much that such clubs can't compete in Europe, it's that the only way they do it is through exceptional coaching and management, and this takes time to develop. Celtic, or Rangers fans would probably not have the patience for long term plans such as these, as in it would be detrimental in the short term and getting one over on your city rivals appears to be the only thing that matters. These clubs are stuck in a perpetual bubble and there is no way either would be brave enough to try something different. Mowbray, Strachan, McLeish, Smith ... it really makes no difference, they will do the same things over and over; win a title at the expense of, to be frank, awful teams such as Kilmarnock, Falkirk, Aberdeen et al, maybe two or three titles, then when they fail they get moved on for the next Strachan, McLeish etc.

I'd love to see a strong Scottish League, but the standard is just atrocious right now and unless Celtic or Rangers, both, has a complete change in philosophy and mentality throughout the entire club, they will be stuck in this incestuous goldfish bowl for ever.

For the record, I think Mowbray will probably do a similar job to Strachan, though the football may be a little easier on the eye.

Dunno, kinda like the fact he stuck to his guns, and took on board that the fans are there to be entertained. Lets face it, finishing 4th bottom would've been seen as success for him.

I agree it would have been a success but he was not able to do what was required. I have a lot of time for celtic as my late grandad was a big celtic fan, i think Mowbray will create a good brand of football but i think if his methods dont work early then there will be problems as he is as stubborn as they come

Why are Celtic again going for a manager who hasn't done anything too impressive in the Premiership? Strachan and now Mobray are a huge step back from the likes of O'Neil.

They're a big club with a huge following, they're doing themselves an injustice by trying to get managers who've ultimately failed in the Premiership.

They should try to bring in a top continental coach who can help them to compete with the elite European clubs. They can do far worse than to give Gerard Houllier a job.

Mowbray will do a good,steady job getting his team playing with a bit of style and will behave with a bit of class. Long term you might be better off with someone to shake the club up a bit and try something different - maybe competing with Wigan for Martinez.

Heard a story that in the first old firm game after his wife died he was marking Duncan Ferguson. Apparently Ferguson was winding him up about his wife and Mowbray went for him. They were both sent off. Ally McCoist was playin up front with Ferguson and heard what he was saying to Mowbray. McCoist was so disgusted that he went to the chairman and said either Ferguson goes or I go. Ferguson was shipped out to Man U graveyard Everton where he is a hero.

Got a lot of respect for what he did at WBA: realising that relegation is not the end of the world and that playing a bit of football might progress the club by inches instead of taking the club's future and throwing it all on red in order to try instant success.

It's a better move for Mowbray than it is for Celtic.

So he plays ncie football. So what? What does that count for if he hardly ever wins?

Football is about playing to the strengths of your team, recognising where the weaknesses in your own team and the oppositions team are, and then countering them with your strengths.

It's not about just blindly and ignorantly following and implementing one style of play, regardless of your personnel and regardless of whether or not you've had any success with it! That's just plain fucking stupid if you ask me.

Anybody on this forum could fail in the manner in which Mowbray has failed this last season.

"go and play football boys! Enjoy yourselves!"

Erm, and that's about it as far as I can see.

The man has no nous whatsoever when it comes to countering the opposition. no nous whatsoever when it comes to implementing a strategy to hold a lead. No nous at all when it comes to changing formation or tactics mid-game.

It's not pretty, it's not nice to watch,it's not "proper football", it's just fucking stupid.

Towards the end of our season Benitez showed that you can play fluid attacking football and also be defensively minded when the chips are down. Mowbray lacks any kind of that same awareness.

It's like he just walks down the street with his eyes closed, constantly breaking his face and smashing his nose in to lamp posts on a daily basis. The man is in agony, but because he is simultaneously getting plaudits and praise for his really sexy walk, he just carries on doing it.

Think you'll find he hardly ever lost in the Championship. Maybe it's that WBA are, at the moment, somewhere between the 18th and the 23rd best side in the country. Which, if you play some decent football and please the fans, is actually not the end of the world. If more clubs realised that then maybe a few less would be starting seasons fighting for their existance on minus 15 points and plummetting down the leagues.

Think you'll find he hardly ever lost in the Championship. Maybe it's that WBA are, at the moment, somewhere between the 18th and the 23rd best side in the country. Which, if you play some decent football and please the fans, is actually not the end of the world. If more clubs realised that then maybe a few less would be starting seasons fighting for their existance on minus 15 points and plummetting down the leagues.

Maybe I'm being harsh and I'm wrong.

But I'm not!

he doesnt have the awareness of what his team are capable of at a high level. That alone, for me, makes him an average manager and nothing more.

He may do well in the league with some of the players he will have at his disposal. But the thought of him trying to take on Europe's elite would terrify me if i was a Celtic fan.

Celtic always do well in the league. What is it accomplishing in repeating that year after year?

Someone made a shout for Houllier or someone of his ilk. That's a great shout. He'd do well domestically but coud also help Celtic excel abroad.

All mowbray will offer is another title race with Rangers. Big deal. Even I could do that for them.

Celtic are a much bigger club than West Brom!

I thought Celtic might have gone for a manager with European experience though. Someone who could push them on in the Champions League. Sven Goran Eriksson is still out of work but I presume he would cost too much, even the likes of Roy Hodgson and dare I say it. Steve Mclaren would have been better choices in my opinion.

I agree with Tom Ross. Never been impressed by Mowbray myself, he reminds me of Iain Dowie; a fuckwit who can't speak properly. He'll do OK at Celtic though, the lowest he'll finish is 2nd and he'll probably get them into the Champions League group stages.