You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer '09 Transfer Speculation Thread

Gray - YPC

Guest RafaIsRafa
Where's that from?

Every post he makes inbetween blasting the manager is usually from some crap Spanish source so probably that.

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Every post he makes inbetween blasting the manager is usually from some crap Spanish source so probably that.

Pointing out that Rafa is a great coach but is flawed in the transfer market is hardly 'blasting' him. It just would be nice to have a transfer window that doesn't have 'frustrating' written all over it. I'm afraid that some of our fans have developed an almost everton-like sensitivity when it comes to our club and are simply unable to accept that there are areas we need to improve. Some of these, unfortunately, extend this loyalty to the owners.

Source is indeed from my journalist contact in Spain - but as he's the one who told me about three weeks ago about the problems with the Alonso to Madrid deal, when everyone else was saying it was 'done', then he's pretty reliable.

Guest RafaIsRafa

Source is indeed from my journalist contact in Spain - but as he's the one who told me about three weeks ago about the problems with the Alonso to Madrid deal, when everyone else was saying it was 'done', then he's pretty reliable.

Haha, what a world exclusive he delivered there, there was only about a billion other people saying that including UEM and Durango off here.

Haha, what a world exclusive he delivered there, there was only about a billion other people saying that including UEM and Durango off here.

Thanks for such a constructive post.

Anyway, back to topic, will be interesting to see what happens if United land Silva.

Very Surprised no top 4 even top 6 team have had a look at Martins from Newcastle, £5/6m would get him.

Reliability is the big factor, plus his age (!). He's more hot and cold than my power shower.

I think if we are making an assumption that Alonso stays which is looking more likely by the day then the position that requires most attention is a striker that can cover for Torres. Ngog and Nemeth are very much for the future and Voronin cannot lead the line.

Where's that from?

It was the late story on Marca yesterday, appeared at about 16:40 CET.

here's part of it -

For now, Tehsin Neyani, the spokesman for the Manchester United, has been commissioned to make it very clear that his team has awakened and is going to break the force in the market. "The coach has a significant amount of money to invest. We talked about a net 60 million pounds (70 million euros), "said the leader.

The reality is that the current champion of the Premier League has hardly been touched more than 90 million euros to the hospital by the transfer of Cristiano Ronaldo to Real Madrid. Michael Owen, Antonio Valencia, Gabriel and Senegalese Oberta Mame Biram Diou have been one of the four entries that United now try to close a crack that eschews critical voices have emerged in some sectors of their fans.

What seems certain is that if you come by Silva, made a crucial and not leave their fate to the player how he came to David Villa to Real Madrid (which did not close the transfer of five million) or Barcelona (which excites and not the player went from 42 kilos).

Sources of the transaction confirmed here that the offensive 'red' by the Canarian could begin to be forged from next week when the player has already finished their holiday and traveling to Ermelo to start the preseason.

Valencia, meanwhile, has very clearly not going to facilitate their departure. Valencia always told Silva "transferable" to the point placed on the market before Villa and refused offers to meet the canary as Real Madrid.

Without forcing situations, the environment of the player scoring the potential output. There was no way. Now, a new front. Comes United.

I didn't believe it when people were saying that Johnson would be our only major signing this summer. I was convinced that we needed to strengthen with a couple of attacking players (one being a back up striker that isn't Voronin) and mabye a Silva-esque player. The more I think about it, though, and the more time goes by I'm reluctantly beginning to accept that the emergence of Benayoun may have led to Benitez reconsidering any player of that mould, for that position. Kuyt, Benayoun, Riera and Babel can all play that role - and with El Zhar signing a new contract thats evidence that Rafa has faith in a 5th to perform in that role too. I like Kuyt, Benayoun and Riera but I still think we're still slightly lacking. Babel should have been that player to add the extra spark to our attacking options but unfortunately, for whatever reason, he's looked the shadow of the player he promised to be early on. Maybe he needed to be played more, game after game, but I'm not sure whether we can afford to have bedding-in periods for players in the middle of a season when going into every game looking for a win.

Unless Alonso is sold, I reckon that'll be it now. Maybe we'll sign another defender - Distin or someone like that - but I think it'll be a lot safer for a lot of people on here to come to terms with the fact that its likely that we won't be signing any BiG NamEz this window, so that on August 31st they're not 'livid as a cut snake'.

If this does happen, at the first sniff of a draw at home - I, like many others will be anxious that our lack of activity for the 'players that can unlock a packed defence' (or as I see it, players like Garcia that can rifle a wondergoal one in every 8 or so games) will have led to an all too familiar season. Its important to remember though that Benayoun could continue to be the player we saw the second half of last season, Dirk could continue to be as effective and Torres and Gerrard may stay fit for most of the season. That, coupled with the attacking option from defence with Johnson (and a fit Agger chipping in) may be enough to get No. 19.

It could be that Rafa has a squad policy where he wants two established players challenging for the 1st team spot with a developing player from the reserves holding the 3rd slot for every position with a mission to displace one of the 2 senior players. I think this has occurred in the left back position where Insua's development has resulted in Dossena being a surplus to requirements. The long term intention is that the majority of the backup players are supplied via the youth system/reserves bringing down the costs for backup players and allowing the club to spend more on players 1-16 with the emphasis being on quality. The United model is probably the best in the UK at this moment where the likes of O'Shea, Brown, Fletcher, Evans, Marcheda, Wellbeck are probably equivalent to the likes of Degen, Dossena, Voronin, Cavalieri etc - this will obviously take time but within the next 3 years we may see some of the reserves making some progress in the 1st team squad.

Currently I see the squad as follows - we still have not replaced Keane and Pennant from last year.

Reina, Cavalieri, Martin

Johnson, Arbeloa, Darby ***Degen surplus if Arbeloa stays***

Aurelio, Insua, Mavinga/Buchmann ***Dossena surplus to requirements***

Agger, Carragher, Skrtel, Kelly/San Jose

Kuyt, <>, El Zahr

Reira, Babel, Hammil

Alonso, Mascherano, Lucas, Spearing

Gerrard, Benayoun, Pacheco

Torres, Voronin, Ngog/Nemeth

Edited by HJohal

Manchester United are in talks with Valencia to sign David Silva, probably for around 20-25m euros. The player is apparently quite keen.

So if we lose Alonso we may not now be able to make a move for Silva.

As I've said time and time again, you need to act quickly in the transfer market. My own view - contra Paul and others - is that we cannot win the league with the squad we currently have, which is again one injury away from being overstretched (in at least 3 positions!) but I hope that I'll be proved wrong!

Now that would be fucking gutting wouldnt it?

Personally if it means taking the 27m to get Silva then we should do it.

Jesus christ... Arsenal selling Toure to City. That's £40m to the Arse but the thing is... Why the fuck is Arsenal selling to City? City are the Gayers' biggest threat!

With Terry & Koure at the back you have to take Man City very seriously this season. That 40m could well be very costly indeed. As things stand now I see Chelsea winning the title an us, man city and Arsenal fighting for two spots that could change but not if the current status quo remains.

With Terry & Koure at the back you have to take Man City very seriously this season. That 40m could well be very costly indeed. As things stand now I see Chelsea winning the title an us, man city and Arsenal fighting for two spots that could change but not if the current status quo remains.

They will still be light in Midfield, but yeah, they'll be much harder to take with a solid backline.

They will still be light in Midfield, but yeah, they'll be much harder to take with a solid backline.

I don't think that Kolo Toure constitutes part of a solid backline! Decent player a few years ago but his repeated injuries have rather reduced him as a player.

I don't think that Kolo Toure constitutes part of a solid backline! Decent player a few years ago but his repeated injuries have rather reduced him as a player.

I thought it was more his lack of physical dominance was grossly exposed in Wenger's 'lollipop guild' that he calls a backline.

wizardlollipop.jpg

As long as Gerrard and Torres play a decent number of games i think we will win the league, our squad proved last year to be more than good enough considering our best two players who many said we could not win without only started 13 odd games and missed a lot of big games.

Obviously i dont want to risk it but maybe selling Arbeloa and Dossenna could get in Tuncy and Distin? Gerrard may have to cover centre mid and everyone else will have to cover where required and the squad and kids are going to have to play the domestic cups to keep the rest fresh for the cl and prem.

Guest simon

brightidea.png