You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Before our game today this was the situation we were looking at.

mancs - maximum 92 points

Liverpool - maximum 88 points

now its like this.

mancs - maximum points 92 points

Liverpool - maximum points 86 points

So we need the mancs to lose twice or lose one and draw twice.

The question is, how realistic is this?

Well for a start, in their last 4 games they have lost exactly twice and struggled in the two others, with 7 games left for them to play, well far,far stranger things have happened than them losing twice and if the rumours about Rooney are true I honestly have to say I would be really surprised if they did not do exactly that.

This is far from over, I have said it for some time that I thought we could afford to drop points in one more match and still win the title, now we`ll see.

Another thing which counts againt the mancs is the fact they have not scored enough goals to win the title either, not once during the last 10 seasons have the winner scored less than 70 goals, we are on our way to reach that target, the mancs have currently scored 54 with 7 games to go, I doubt they will make, take it as a sign for good things to come. ;)

To score 70, United would have to score more than 2 a game.

I have said all along that we can maybe at a push, afford to draw one game, the outcome tomorrow will be important but I suggest also their next 3 league games. Before it was, win all our games and we'll win it, now it's in the balance, depending on the very small details. It could mean Fergies get's a bit arrogant. Especially if they win tomorrow, let's say he then decides to rest players for the Champions League games, thinking that the title is almost in the bag. Slip up in one game and the pressure is back on, it'll have to be a goal-difference jobbie if at all. They are out the FA cup which I though would affect the race due to them having another game to play but that is after the league finish, it was a long game for them and could take it's toll later and many other things could go either way off the back of that. Gerrard playing in the Champions League could have cost us, he should never have played, although I blame Rafa for that as much as Stevie. There's still hope though, which is all that can be asked, for all those that whinge, the lads are giving everything they can. The likes of Chelsea and Arsenal are having a resurgence now after poor starts and seem fresher that is due to us playing at a high level all season, we are tired, not as tired as United mind. I fancy Arsenal for the Champions league now as they will be fresh having barely woken up in the league in the last 8 games, thankfully we don't have to play them every week now. Rafa will sort the defence out and we'll batter our last few opponents, the rest is in the stars.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmmm, who to believe, Fungus, or Steven Gerrard who in the studio tonight mentioned about how open we are now playing because we are chasing?

Tough one.

Fungus is Rafa first, sense second.

I can appreciate his loyalty, but sometimes it helps to be objective. No-one is calling for him to be sacked anymore except Nick.

Tell us what you really think fungus.

Agreed.

There's a fine line between the two. I remeber Houllier trying to go all gung ho. We definately attacked better but leaked lots of sloppy goals. Stick to what you know best Rafa, just buy better attacking players.

I hope Rafa doesn't react in the same way Houllier did to it. GH tried to open up but shit himself when we conceded some goals. I'm convinced that we have the players to get the balance right.

Over a course of the season you are awarded for your bravery because if you try to win games, like we have done for the last 6 weeks or so, you get breaks but if you accept draws, you get draws.

I've never been more sure of anything in my life.

I hope Rafa doesn't react in the same way Houllier did to it. GH tried to open up but shit himself when we conceded some goals. I'm convinced that we have the players to get the balance right.

Over a course of the season you are awarded for your bravery because if you try to win games, like we have done for the last 6 weeks or so, you get breaks but if you accept draws, you get draws.

Repped.

But Rafa is Houllier n disguies and will never know how to chase a game wheras Hiddink would

Its very sad indeed

But Rafa is Houllier n disguies and will never know how to chase a game wheras Hiddink would

Its very sad indeed

how may times have we come from behind this season or stole games late thanks to Rafas changes. Oh its all in spite of Rafa....

Tit

Its very sad indeed

Oh. My. God.

I always thought you were semi intelligent and just on the wind up but really you're just a know nothing cock.

Gutted.

We absolutely bossed that game but we can't afford to defend like that. Individual mistakes are something you can't legislate for but the third goal was a shocker. We don't know when we're beaten, and I'm really proud of the way we continually keep on coming back when we're down but the individual mistakes tonight have been punished and it's ultimately ended our league challenge.

I am very proud though. We need to remember this night and take that into our last five games as well as next season.

Fungus is Rafa first, sense second.

I can appreciate his loyalty, but sometimes it helps to be objective. No-one is calling for him to be sacked anymore except Nick.

Tell us what you really think fungus.

there are so many reasons why we've started scoring freely from torres coming back from injury to players like benayoun stepping up, to it being the time of year where we always look sharper and fresher than everyone else and even the extra push being given by the players as they have something to fight for.

Benitez shouting ATTACK ATTACK ATTACK is not one of them.

That's what I really think.

Thankyou and goodnight...sleep is not far from me now.

there are so many reasons why we've started scoring freely from torres coming back from injury to players like benayoun stepping up, to it being the time of year where we always look sharper and fresher than everyone else and even the extra push being given by the players as they have something to fight for.

Benitez shouting ATTACK ATTACK ATTACK is not one of them.

That's what I really think.

Thankyou and goodnight...sleep is not far from me now.

And yet our players have openly stated we're going for it more. Perhaps they're wrong and you're right though.

Sleep tight mate, anyway.

And yet our players have openly stated we're going for it more. Perhaps they're wrong and you're right though.

Sleep tight mate, anyway.

Only a win being enough is another factor. The point fungus is making is that this is not down to any kind of paradigm shift as some seem to think.

Just watched the game on LFC TV, and what a game it was, especially the second half.

The game was played at such a high tempo by both sides throughout I'm not surprised that the majority of the goals came from mistakes, the players hardly had time to think, and when they did try to slow the game down, they got punished.

Let's just hope Arsenal take that attitude into their league game against United, because they'll beat United if they play at that tempo and press the ball as they did against us tonight.

Fingers crossed that Crouch, James & Pennant are on top form for Pompey tomorrow/tonight.

14 shots to 4 on target. 4!!!!!!!

12 corners to 0. 0!!!!!!

YOU BLEW IT

Unbelievable how we didn't win that, we should of been a few goals up in the first half such stupid mistakes from players dwelling on the ball.

They have to lose 2 now instead or lose one and draw one I suppose it's not that much difference just one goal but at the moment I'm not very confident, if they lose to Pompey we will win it.

I don't want to single anyone else for criticism but did anyone else think Mascherano was all over the place? It seemed to me like he was just getting dragged out of position which allowed them space right through the middle, he also gave the ball away a lot I thought he had a really poor game as did Aurelio, Arbeloa and Riera.

Benny and Torres were brilliant though, Yossi can be a frustrating player at times but he runs his guts out and is always dangerous.

The positional awareness of our defensive players was largely non-existent today. Masch was poor, but Xabi really dissapointed me today, not what I expected of him. Torres was himself, Benayoun was brilliant, In the past 2 -3 months he's shown just what he can bring to the team. I thought all our attackers did well(except Riera, yes I thought Kuyt played quite well actually) and its weird having our defenders lose us points, I'm not quite sure what's going on there. Someone mentioned us being more open due to us going for the wins, but most of the goals we've conceded have been from daft individual errors which is dissapointing as they were all mistakes that I would be dissapointed to make for my team, we need to sort it out ASAP.