You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Fulham away 04/04/09....

satmann

Roy Hodgson actually had the temerity to hint that his shower of defensively tutored twats were worthy of a point today. This Queen Victoria lookalike, southern, snot consuming, bouffant haired, pinched-nosed sack of vintage urine made me want to fucking well vomit into a jiffy envelope and send it to his weird shirted weirdo of a fucking boss with instructions to make his fucking cunt employee eat said contents. My Sweet, Holy, Jammy Jesus, I feel gooooooooooood!!!!!!!!!

• Replies 550
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I gave up, I didn't see it coming off. Lady Luck was pissing all over our parade. I was resigned to the end of the chase.

When Yossi scored.......I wept. I literally wept.

I hope I feel half as happy when I get married as I do right now.

Roy Hodgson actually had the temerity to hint that his shower of defensively tutored twats were worthy of a point today. This Queen Victoria lookalike, southern, snot consuming, bouffant haired, pinched-nosed sack of vintage urine made me want to fucking well vomit into a jiffy envelope and send it to his weird shirted weirdo of a fucking boss with instructions to make his fucking cunt employee eat said contents. My Sweet, Holy, Jammy Jesus, I feel gooooooooooood!!!!!!!!!

If I was him, I'd have been pleased with my players after the game, despite being gutted by the result. They are a very good side, in my opinion: exceptionally well organised with fantastic commitment, good balance, plenty of aggression, a bit of pace and a bit of class. To be so close to a point against a top class side speaks volumes, regardless of the number of times we hit the woodwork. They really made us sweat yesterday so I think he's entitled to his view.

The filth had a game like this in 92 against shef wed when they played 8 mins of 'ferguson time' and the won 2-1 after being a goal down. They went on to win the title for the first time in 26 years.

This game could just be the same defining moment for us.

C'mon Reds!!

I was thinking exactly that too. I think the teams reaction at the end said it all. I had to apologise to the missus for all the swearing I did during the game ,I honestly thought lady luck was gonna fuck us.

Made up with today, won 100 on mon mome despite asking the bookies if I could have fixed odds after I had put betting slip in, he was a jobsworth and said no but I am glad as I got an extra 40 quid!! Saw Oasiz a good tribute band and the Reds were fantastic kept on going to the end, great day! Only problem is that my misses will be up soon so hope she doesn't give us too much of a hard time when she sees the state of me! stopped off at 24 hour garage for early morning match of the day cans!

Guest Ulysses Everett McGill

Apparently two things happened at the game yesterday that you would not normally see

1)Towards the end of the game, when Fulham had a corner, Benitez had Torres stand on the half way line

2)Rafa celebrated the goal

Strange days

Just because they were like for like doesn't mean they were negative. Today's match is a good example of that. Benayoun got the all important goal and Fulham were shit scared of Babel whenever he was on the ball.

Oh and for the record I thought Lucas was quietly effective today.

Yep I thought he won a few crucial tackles and also picked up the bits nicely I'm hoping he's finally learning how to play in the Prem.

Apparently two things happened at the game yesterday that you would not normally see

1)Towards the end of the game, when Fulham had a corner, Benitez had Torres stand on the half way line

Strange days

To his (hopefully eternal) credit, Rafa has altered a few things this season to good effect. He's certainly used rotation brilliantly this year, using a much more settled side early on to establish a bit of rhythm and continuing to stick with our most important players virtually throughout the campaign so far. He was also chasing games with attacking substitutions in that period before Christmas when we kept snatching victory from the jaws of a draw. Was it against City where he took off the fullbacks to get more forwards on the pitch? Long may it continue.

My views exactly but I am obviously delighted we won and that was a great performance against a type of team we struggle against.

I think if it had been at the beginning of the season and we drew the game but played that well there would have been no complaints because the performance was brilliant but this was a must win game and we nearly didnt win it.

Fuck that made me laugh. You really need to read things before posting..."amust win game that we nearly didn't win???? We fuckin WON at a ground where 2 of the top 4 have lost and the other one drew.

If I was him, I'd have been pleased with my players after the game, despite being gutted by the result. They are a very good side, in my opinion: exceptionally well organised with fantastic commitment, good balance, plenty of aggression, a bit of pace and a bit of class. To be so close to a point against a top class side speaks volumes, regardless of the number of times we hit the woodwork. They really made us sweat yesterday so I think he's entitled to his view.

TBH though we should have been home and hosed by halftime. I think their home record shows that they're not a bad side but we tore them apart in the first 45.

To his (hopefully eternal) credit, Rafa has altered a few things this season to good effect. He's certainly used rotation brilliantly this year, using a much more settled side early on to establish a bit of rhythm and continuing to stick with our most important players virtually throughout the campaign so far. He was also chasing games with attacking substitutions in that period before Christmas when we kept snatching victory from the jaws of a draw. Was it against City where he took off the fullbacks to get more forwards on the pitch? Long may it continue.

I don't think Benitez has changed very much at all this season. We are more attacking now than at Christmas because we have to be.

Benitez approaches football matches like an experienced gambler. You don't look to, expect to, or even need to, win every time. You never chase a loss, and you try to manage the risks at all times, and play with a long-term perspective.

It's a risky strategy in the UK as most supporters don't share this mindset and it makes a fair number of games, particularly those early in the season, difficult to watch.

I don't think he'll be any different next season. And if United drop points over their next couple of games, I think we will see a little more caution return to our play.

This is not a criticism of our supporters or of Benitez, but I really don't think he has changed one bit.

I don't think Benitez has changed very much at all this season. We are more attacking now than at Christmas because we have to be.

Benitez approaches football matches like an experienced gambler. You don't look to, expect to, or even need to, win every time. You never chase a loss, and you try to manage the risks at all times, and play with a long-term perspective.

It's a risky strategy in the UK as most supporters don't share this mindset and it makes a fair number of games, particularly those early in the season, difficult to watch.

I don't think he'll be any different next season. And if United drop points over their next couple of games, I think we will see a little more caution return to our play.

This is not a criticism of our supporters or of Benitez, but I really don't think he has changed one bit.

Well what about the specific points I mentioned? I don't recall him taking off full backs to chase a game before this season. I also don't recall him sticking with such a relatively settled side early on in the season before. I was also impressed by our shape against Stoke at Anfield (despite only getting a draw) where, for the first time under Rafa, we played with real width against a parked bus defence. These aren't new observations, by the way; I wrote about them in the fanzine before Christmas.

I'd love to ask him what he attributes the post-Christmas slump to (because he'll never discuss it publicly, I'm sure). The fact is that we were abject in game after game after game, playing timid, clueless, limp football. Carra has said that the pressure of being top was a factor and I've no doubt he was right. Not having Torres and Gerrard was also a big issue. However, we were so poor so often that I can't help but think there was something else. Maybe the fitness programme? Sometimes trainers know that in order to gain at key points you have to suffer at others. Maybe heavy legs then were the price of freshness for the run in?

That said, there is no doubt that we were very cautious and timid in our approach to too many games. The fact is that we have been a Jeckyl and Hyde team this season and I think Rafa takes the rap and credit in equal measure. The second leg against Madrid is starting to look like some sort of watershed, both as a result and a performance. Certainly, no-one predicted it and also no-one thought it a typically Rafa-esque approach. It wasn't a Juve-type opening blitz before sitting tight and holding on; it was pretty much (bar a 15 minute period in the second half) a demolition from start to finish - and we've since kicked on from there.

In my view Rafa has done a number of things very differently this season - and more credit to him. Single-mindedness and self-belief are hugely important traits in a manager, but not without honest self-reflection. It looks to me like Rafa is showing very clear and obvious signs of slightly adjusting what he's doing in order to improve. It's great to see, too.

Strange days

It's exciting times, even my Arsenal supporting missus jumped off of the settee and screamed when we scored and she doesn't even passionately support Arsenal. I fucking loved Rafa celebrating today he deserves it.

Paul the confidence thing can't be overlooked. The Real Madrid game really pumped up the team. It gave us a massive lift and boost in confidence. Which we then did to Man United so any team knows now they have to defend cos we are up for it. We can win every game until the end of the season now.

I missed the whole game yesterday because I was at a wedding in Thornton Hough which has no TV .I was sitting next to a manc as well. I knew something was up as I had 3 missed calls from my sisiter who was on grazy alert .I could not fuckin believe it when she told me the score . Well I have to be honest I went back and got completely wankered .It felt as if I had actually scored the winner .

Feelingthe pain a bit now. I woke up in my 5 year olds bunk bed (he was staying at his friends by the way) at 5 this morning somewhat confused.

Brilliant! (and don't we all by the way)

Strange days

It didn't come across that way on MotD. Admittedly it only showed Rafa about 10 seconds after the goal, but he had his serious face on as usual, and was pointing with both hands to his head as if to say 'think'.

On the point of Fulham, I had a look on the club's website forum last night, and apart from one thread of about 5 idiots who clearly hate all things Scouse, they were a little gutted they didn't hold out against us, but the majority were proud their team had almost taken a point of us, accepted they'd rode their luck against the PL's in-form team, were very complimentary about how good a football team we are, and hope that thier loss is everyone's gain and that we pip United to the title.

Heh heh heh. I missed this yesterday (from Mirror Sport). And what level would that be Andy, you beaut?

Fulham's Andy Johnson: We'll take our fooball to a new level against Liverpool

By Neil McLeman 4/04/2009

Andy Johnson has warned Fulham have got a taste for beating the big boys and will take their football to "a new level" against Liverpool at Craven Cottage tonight.

A fortnight ago, Roy Hodgson's side shocked league leaders Manchester United with a stunning win which blew the title race wide open.

But while Fulham were the toast of the red half of Merseyside then, the former Everton striker is determined that appreciation does not extend to this weekend.

And the club's record signing reckons the removal of the threat of relegation from the relaxed Cottagers means his side have an even better chance of beating Rafa Benitez's men in their fortress by the Thames.

"There are no favours for anyone in this game - we are out to win," said the 28-year-old England forward, who missed the decisive penalty against Liverpool for Birmingham in the 2001 Worthington Cup final.

"We want to get into Europe but that is a different kind of pressure. I have had a couple of texts from Everton friends and they are not too keen to see Liverpool win the league.

"I will be doing my utmost to score and win. And I think we have now definitely got a better chance of beating Liverpool than we had against Manchester United.

"The boys have been playing fantastic football all season but I think you will see the next level now.

"We can play with a bit more freedom. We are enjoying it, everyone is happy, there is great morale in the dressingroom and that is why I think we have got the results we have got this season."

If Fulham can lose heavily twice to Manchester United, including a thrashing at home in the FA Cup, and come back to beat them, anything can happen today. In the Premier League, they have only lost at home to West Ham, Wigan and Blackburn this season.

Liverpool are unlikely to put out the reserve team they did at Craven Cottage in 2007 as Fulham beat them to avoid the drop.

But Johnson, the £11.5m summer signing, believes the tactical nous of former Inter Milan boss Roy Hodgson could again hold the key after strangling Sir Alex Ferguson's side last time out.

"The first game against Manchester United we went to press them and got beat 4-0," he explained.

"The second game we thought it would be better to sit off and let them come on to us and try to break us down and it worked. We beat them 2-0.

"Once they got through myself and Bobby Zamora, there was another bank of four to get through.

"We have been hard to break down this season. Away at Liverpool it was hard for them to score. The gaffer has worked really hard on it.

"Watching England this week it was pretty similar. When they didn't have the ball, they had 11 men behind the ball and it was hard for Ukraine to get through. It must be the Italian influence!"

Johnson won the last of his eight caps under Steve McClaren - he never played in a losing England team - and admitted he hoped for a call-up during the striker crisis last week.

"You are always by the phone," he admitted. "But all I can do is play well and keep scoring goals."

With 10 this season, Johnson feels he has justified his move down south after the frustrating ending to his two years at Everton and is happy again on and off the field.

And he is still learning under Hodgson. "He puts in some great sessions for the boys," explained the Bedford-born star.

"He drills in the way he wants us to play. Sometimes the sessions can be repetitive and long but when you see it happen on a Saturday, you don't mind doing it.

"I am enjoying my football and I'm playing for a manager who I love playing for."

Without naming names, this was not always the case under David Moyes, though the Goodison faithful showed their appreciation when he returned earlier this season.

"The Everton fans were fantastic - they understood why I wanted to get away," he explained. "As a striker, it is not nice to play centre midfield or out on the right."

Johnson still reckons Manchester United will win the title this year - "I think they are too strong" - and his side can give them a big hand this evening.

"Liverpool will be coming back from the international break and they have got Europe next week so we always keep an eye on that," he laughed. "Maybe they won't put out a strong team!"

That quote about playing under managers is quite interesting.

Well what about the specific points I mentioned? I don't recall him taking off full backs to chase a game before this season. I also don't recall him sticking with such a relatively settled side early on in the season before. I was also impressed by our shape against Stoke at Anfield (despite only getting a draw) where, for the first time under Rafa, we played with real width against a parked bus defence. These aren't new observations, by the way; I wrote about them in the fanzine before Christmas.

I'd love to ask him what he attributes the post-Christmas slump to (because he'll never discuss it publicly, I'm sure). The fact is that we were abject in game after game after game, playing timid, clueless, limp football. Carra has said that the pressure of being top was a factor and I've no doubt he was right. Not having Torres and Gerrard was also a big issue. However, we were so poor so often that I can't help but think there was something else. Maybe the fitness programme? Sometimes trainers know that in order to gain at key points you have to suffer at others. Maybe heavy legs then were the price of freshness for the run in?

That said, there is no doubt that we were very cautious and timid in our approach to too many games. The fact is that we have been a Jeckyl and Hyde team this season and I think Rafa takes the rap and credit in equal measure. The second leg against Madrid is starting to look like some sort of watershed, both as a result and a performance. Certainly, no-one predicted it and also no-one thought it a typically Rafa-esque approach. It wasn't a Juve-type opening blitz before sitting tight and holding on; it was pretty much (bar a 15 minute period in the second half) a demolition from start to finish - and we've since kicked on from there.

In my view Rafa has done a number of things very differently this season - and more credit to him. Single-mindedness and self-belief are hugely important traits in a manager, but not without honest self-reflection. It looks to me like Rafa is showing very clear and obvious signs of slightly adjusting what he's doing in order to improve. It's great to see, too.

Paul it is about quality players, Rafa has rotated jst as much as previous seasons the difference is the quality. Rafa has been playing attacking formations all season it's up to the players to put the ball in the net. If players don't finish their chances it must be rafa playing a defensive formations. Revisionism

I thought Agent Spud had a couple of moments yesterday where looked like he perhaps wasn't trying his hardest to score against us. Good man.

I think you are doing Murphys professionalism a bit of a disservice there. He was up for it. And he'll have been gutted when the goal went in. However, later that evennig I'll bet he is able to find a huge silver lining to the late goal.