You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I reckon Liverpool Lad and George Costanza have got a good point with emilio estevez.

Steven Gerrard would be ace at the knuckle puck.

(ps to those who havent seen mighty ducks just ignore me)

It is a shame we have got rid of Riise, he would have smashed a few of them.

Also the 'v' formation would be ideal against teams who park the bus at Anfield.

Rafa out

There's only one realistic proposition, and that has to be Mourinho. Maybe Guus Hiddink but if Rafa were to leave (I don't want him out, though I am beginning to doubt) then Mourinho is, for me, the only option. Cunt or no cunt, he is proven at the top, top level, with both big teams and small teams.

It's not worked out for him at Inter, so to say he's unavailable is a bit presumptuous for me.

I wouldn't want Mourinho anywhere near here. We think we have had a shitstorm with Rafa recently wouldn't be ANYTHING compared to what could happen if Mourinho were here with the present owners.

I can't accept an ex-Chelsea manager as our manager either and some people certainly have short memories of what a prick he was at times.

I wouldn't want Mourinho anywhere near here. We think we have had a shitstorm with Rafa recently wouldn't be ANYTHING compared to what could happen if Mourinho were here with the present owners.

I can't accept an ex-Chelsea manager as our manager either and some people certainly have short memories of what a prick he was at times.

Just to play devils advocate John, take away the owners and his previous history - do you think Jose Mourinho would be a success at Liverpool?

(ignoring his previous will be hard to do.)

There's only one realistic proposition, and that has to be Mourinho. Maybe Guus Hiddink but if Rafa were to leave (I don't want him out, though I am beginning to doubt) then Mourinho is, for me, the only option. Cunt or no cunt, he is proven at the top, top level, with both big teams and small teams.

It's not worked out for him at Inter, so to say he's unavailable is a bit presumptuous for me.

Why is he the only one to spring to mind that would be realistic? I'm looking at a club like Barcelona, where the pressure to get results is equally big as at Liverpool, however they have had managers like Guardiola, totally unproven but seems to be doing a good job so far, Rijkaard, that also won titles at Barcelona and was relatively unproven.

Why is something similar not an option at LFC?

Just to play devils advocate John, take away the owners and his previous history - do you think Jose Mourinho would be a success at Liverpool?

(ignoring his previous will be hard to do.)

Yes Dan I think he would be. You can't fault his track record at all and he is a winner. Maybe he wouldn't be as brash and arrogant if he ever became our manager knowing the history and tradition of the club but ask Dave U what I was like when he was Chelsea's manager. I felt like going to see a shrink at times because he wound me up that much at times. I think he would be good for team spirit however and I get the feeling some of the Chelsea players treated him as a friend at times whereas Rafa treats his players like robots. Some unkind souls might say he makes them PLAY like robots as well (but not me) ahem..........

Plus my mum fancies Jose so it is a definite NO NO.

Why is he the only one to spring to mind that would be realistic? I'm looking at a club like Barcelona, where the pressure to get results is equally big as at Liverpool, however they have had managers like Guardiola, totally unproven but seems to be doing a good job so far, Rijkaard, that also won titles at Barcelona and was relatively unproven.

Why is something similar not an option at LFC?

Can you honestly see anyone similar to Pep Guardiola at LFC? If you can, then fair enough, let's push them to the front of the queue should Rafa leave, but I honestly can't. But then, I couldn't name Guardiola as the future manager of Barca either, to be fair. His appointment at Barca is sort of the equivalent of us making Gary Ablett manager. To be fair to Guardiola, he has done an immense job after a shaky start, which not many people remember. Barca had a shocking start but he turned it round and stuck to his guns and his principles and it has paid dividends for them. I think Barca have a system in place for that sort of managerial emergence to happen. We did once, but not so much anymore.

I think Mourinho is a tit, if occasionally very funny, but he and Rafa have similar sorts of pedigrees and track records. Above all, he's a born winner. If people want balls, and Rafa is being accused of not having balls this week, then Mourinho is arguably the most viable cure for that. This is a man who once made a triple sub after 22 minutes because it wasn't going well.

I can think of no other more obvious candidate than Mourinho, personally.

Can you honestly see anyone similar to Pep Guardiola at LFC? If you can, then fair enough, let's push them to the front of the queue should Rafa leave, but I honestly can't. But then, I couldn't name Guardiola as the future manager of Barca either, to be fair. His appointment at Barca is sort of the equivalent of us making Gary Ablett manager. To be fair to Guardiola, he has done an immense job after a shaky start, which not many people remember. Barca had a shocking start but he turned it round and stuck to his guns and his principles and it has paid dividends for them. I think Barca have a system in place for that sort of managerial emergence to happen. We did once, but not so much anymore.

I think Mourinho is a tit, if occasionally very funny, but he and Rafa have similar sorts of pedigrees and track records. Above all, he's a born winner. If people want balls, and Rafa is being accused of not having balls this week, then Mourinho is arguably the most viable cure for that. This is a man who once made a triple sub after 22 minutes because it wasn't going well.

Barca lost 1 and drew 1 in their 2 first games, since then it has been upwards and onwards.

I agree Mourinho, if only looking at the football side of things, has all the pedigree to manage us. My point was more to do with that the 3/5 managers being bandied around every time is not the be all end all of managers.

I'm actually really liking the idea of snaking Zenit's Advocaat, really.

His football is attacking, attractive, and he plays a system at Zenit that suits our personel, really.

He likes his fullbacks to add width in the final third and he's shown he can unleash talented, creative individuals to make their magic and Zenit is pretty fluid going forward.

Did they not go on and lose that game?

I don't want Rafa gone. I want him to see out his contract and if he brings home 19 or a European Cup this season give him an extension. If not then I'd like to see Hiddink in charge. He got Russia to play good football and more importantly win and I think that's what this club is about. Its not all about the winning, its about the way the win is achieved.

Yes Dan I think he would be. You can't fault his track record at all and he is a winner. Maybe he wouldn't be as brash and arrogant if he ever became our manager knowing the history and tradition of the club but ask Dave U what I was like when he was Chelsea's manager. I felt like going to see a shrink at times because he wound me up that much at times. I think he would be good for team spirit however and I get the feeling some of the Chelsea players treated him as a friend at times whereas Rafa treats his players like robots. Some unkind souls might say he makes them PLAY like robots as well (but not me) ahem..........

Plus my mum fancies Jose so it is a definite NO NO.

There are two sides to Mourinho John, I am sure of it. Whilst he's never been shy of courting controversy, there's also the man who just wants to get on with his job. I have followed his career very closely since I first noticed Porto in the season they won the Champions League. They drew 1-1 at the Bernabau, and although Real Madrid weren't their usual selves at that time, they were still a good team, and Porto absolutely outplayed them. It finished 1-1 but Porto should have won easily. With us being dumped into the UEFA Cup that season I followed them closely and watched how they played in detail.

It was only when they played the Mancs that Mourinho became outspoken, and that he went racing down the touchline at Old Trafford after their late equaliser to put them through. I still haven't seen the Mancs get outplayed as much as they did in Oporto that year, they lost 2-1 but should have been 5 or 6-1.

Until the final, when it was obvious he was going to Chelsea, Mourinho was pretty quiet. He is perfectly capable of doing so. That's the point I'm making, bit I enjoy talking about the Mancs losing too much... Porto are Porto - they have their reputation and history.

Whereas I believe that Mourinho needed to get Chelsea to create their history, which he did to be fair. He was a mouthy tosser by and large, if sometimes extremely comical. He was also ridiculous at times, the claims he made against Berkshire NHS after the Reading game was nothing short of scandalous. But looking back at his quotes, and this relates back to a point you made John, he treats players as personal friends. He called himself "The Special One" but I believe he made his players feel like the special ones, too. No Mongo jokes, please! You look at the Chavs now and they are totally devoid of the team spirit instilled by Mourinho. Grant had limited success with it and Scolari is a clueless, overrated imbecile.

But what Mourinho does, and has always done, is he deflects the limelight onto himself. I have read a book on him by a Portugese football journalist, and he talked about it himself in there. He makes outrageous statements so the press are talking about him, and not the team. His worst, yet best, statement was when they lost to penalties to Charlton in the Carling Cup, where he claimed that they hadn't lost, but had drawn as far as he was concerned. It sparked an outrage in the press, but it deflected away from Chelsea's first home defeat of the season.

I am not trying to say get Rafa out right now, but Mourinho would be an unqualified success for Liverpool, I am convinced of it. Cunt or no cunt in the past. I don't think you'd hear much from him at LFC. Like with Porto - he doesn't need to cause a fuss to get LFC noticed.

Did they not go on and lose that game?

It was at Fulham. Something is telling me 1-1.

We have a board who are split down the middle and don't seem to be able to agree on whether it is day or night, Saturday or the middle of next week.

The thought of that brigade identifying, agreeing on, and negotiating a contract with a new manager is a troublesome one.

Has anybody approached Johnny Morrissey's son, Stephen Patrick? I think he would be perfect....'I was happy in the haze of a 1 goal lead, but heaven knows I'm miserable now.....I was looking for a job and then I found a job, and heaven knows I'm miserable now'.

Perfect, no?

I'll believe google then. It still takes a set of balls to make such a drastic change after 20 odd minutes.

But they still lost. Thus making the decision a failure. Managers should be measured by results achieved with the resources at hand, not how much balls they show. Using that to judge Rafa I believe that means we are having a successful season so far.

Results : 2nd in the league and withing touching distance of the leaders.

Resources : An above average but not great squad, arguably Rafas fault but also arguably down to lack of funds.

I could argue that Mourinho got the result of the Premier League season and that you can't win them all, but I don't need to make points that Mourinho has got balls, and I am not trying to say that Rafa hasn't...

But then I could argue that in isolation that decision or "show of balls" was a failure and throw in the added advantage of a Russian Gajillionaire. But there's no point as these arguements have been done to death.

The only managers who MIGHT equal Rafa in the current situation with the owners and budget are Mourinho and Capello

However, both will demand the same thing Rafa is, total control of the transfer budgets.

Mourinho will do well with the squad we have. However, Mourinho has never been known to stick around long enough to build an empire for whatever the reason.

Capello has been known to demand a big transfer budget before he joins. This guarantees some marquee players immediately to add on to the ones we have. However, look at Capello's style. It's nearly identical to Rafa's ie rotation, playing players out of position etc etc. Him and Rafa are cut from the same cloth. Those who complain about Rafa will complain about Capello for exactly the same reasons.

Others that have been mentioned:

Guus Hiddink does indeed get his players to play attractive football. Although he has won stuff with clubs in Holland, and gets lesser national teams to play better than ever, he has never succeeded in a big club. He has failed in Real and Valencia, and is known to have arguments with club boards.

Dick Advocaat is doing well with Zenit, but has no experience in a truly big club.

Both of these dutch managers are similar to Scolari IMO. They play nice football but don't have the ability to win when it matters. They both have average pedigrees in the Champions league, and I don't have the confidence they can do as well as Rafa, if they managed us and we faced a Barcelona or a Juve.

All 4 managers mentioned WILL demand total control of the transfer funds, and none of them are pushovers with the club heirachy. So my opinion, might as well give it to Rafa, rather than an expensive rebuilding process.

Martin O' Niel is interesting. IMO he is a good manager, as good as probably the two Dutch managers. But I suspect with whichever team, even a top 4 team he manages, he won't win the title. He's a good bet for top 4 though.