You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Bascombe latest effort

PaulMcC

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are no facts in the Bascombe's Mascher story that have not been stated in other newspapers or on bulletin boards for at least three or four weeks. Bascombe just lifted those reports and presented them as though he was ITK.

Mascher has been quoted several times as saying that while he is happy at LFC and committed to the cause he misses his friends and family from Argentina.

Bascombe has distorted this to imply that Mascher or his missus misses Spain, where he has never lived and which neither he nor she has ever said.

Bascombe and Maddock have been pure bitter cunts the last few months.

The last time Maddock had any decent inside information Fowler was at the club.

Bascombe fell out with Rafa over a year ago and its shown in his articles ever since. I just wish he'd come out and admit in public what he's said to me in private. He just can't write a balanced article any more.

Bascombe has sold his soul, i know he has to write a certain way to satisfy his employer but he comes across as a bitter cunt. I read his articles and it makes me hate him.

I understand that he has to get a certain message across but he doesnt need to be so bitter when filling in the gaps. His articles come across like he rejoices in any obstacle we encounter.

Fucking hell. It never rains, but it pours. In my view there is definitely something in this. The thought of losing our central midfield is very, very worrying as it will be very difficult to replace either of them with like for like quality (but especially Xabi). However, even if we were able to bring in two top class approximations of what we have now, the odds on them simply slotting right in without any problems are slim to none. I'd say our chances of the title next season would be slim if we lost one of them, but they'd be just about gone if they both leave.

That said, I don't want to keep players here against their will. If they really do want to leave, then they should be allowed to do so, albeit on terms as favourable to us as possible. We'd then have big money - no less than £60m for the pair - to spend on replacements. Barca's Yaya Toure looks an obvious candidate to replace The Chief, but that pre-supposes that he'd come here. There would be significant competition for him and I'd astounded if The Mancs weren't looking hard at him in the light of their relatively soft centre and the question marks over Hargreaves' fitness.

However, as I said earlier, replacing Xabi looks a much tougher proposition. The only players I'm aware of who could approximate what he does for us at a similar level - Xavi, Iniesta, Fabregas - are all as good as unbuyable. That leaves the obvious option of dropping Gerrard back into midfield which would be a disaster, in my opinion. He is no more a midfielder than he is a right back; we need him in his best position if we're going to win the league and that is as a forward linking with Torres. No way can we win the league without him up front. And nor should we countenance a complete change in shape, either: 442 is being proved redundant at the highest level right across Europe and we'd be mad to revert to a system with significant flaws simply to get Gerrard back in the middle.

In short, this is very worrying news - and that's even without considering the fact that there are half a dozen clubs across the continent who are or will be spending unprecedented levels of cash in the transfer market and therefore potentially competing with us for the players we'd need to fill two very considerable holes. Fucking hell, this is shit. I only hope Rafa can pull out all the stops to retain them both - maybe a "give me one more season" type thing that will give us the chance to win the league and subsequently settle them down again. If he can't, we're in trouble next season in my view.

We won't sell Mascherano and Alonso.

As someone said, worst case is that we get at least 1 of them to agree to stay another year before allowing them to move with our blessing.

I'm nowhere near as sure as you seem, mate. If my wife and child had flown to the other side of the world because she was so unhappy, I'd feel highly motivated to change jobs in order to get my family back together again. As for Xabi, that has been a worrying situation for a while and it's one that still hasn't gone away in my view. Of the two, I'd rather lose The Chief, but I think it's far from unlikely that we could lose both.

Fucking hell. It never rains, but it pours. In my view there is definitely something in this. The thought of losing our central midfield is very, very worrying as it will be very difficult to replace either of them with like for like quality (but especially Xabi). However, even if we were able to bring in two top class approximations of what we have now, the odds on them simply slotting right in without any problems are slim to none. I'd say our chances of the title next season would be slim if we lost one of them, but they'd be just about gone if they both leave.

That said, I don't want to keep players here against their will. If they really do want to leave, then they should be allowed to do so, albeit on terms as favourable to us as possible. We'd then have big money - no less than £60m for the pair - to spend on replacements. Barca's Yaya Toure looks an obvious candidate to replace The Chief, but that pre-supposes that he'd come here. There would be significant competition for him and I'd astounded if The Mancs weren't looking hard at him in the light of their relatively soft centre and the question marks over Hargreaves' fitness.

However, as I said earlier, replacing Xabi looks a much tougher proposition. The only players I'm aware of who could approximate what he does for us at a similar level - Xavi, Iniesta, Fabregas - are all as good as unbuyable. That leaves the obvious option of dropping Gerrard back into midfield which would be a disaster, in my opinion. He is no more a midfielder than he is a right back; we need him in his best position if we're going to win the league and that is as a forward linking with Torres. No way can we win the league without him up front. And nor should we countenance a complete change in shape, either: 442 is being proved redundant at the highest level right across Europe and we'd be mad to revert to a system with significant flaws simply to get Gerrard back in the middle.

In short, this is very worrying news - and that's even without considering the fact that there are half a dozen clubs across the continent who are or will be spending unprecedented levels of cash in the transfer market and therefore potentially competing with us for the players we'd need to fill two very considerable holes. Fucking hell, this is shit. I only hope Rafa can pull out all the stops to retain them both - maybe a "give me one more season" type thing that will give us the chance to win the league and subsequently settle them down again. If he can't, we're in trouble next season in my view.

I think Arsenal would seriously have to consider a £40m+ bid for Fabregas but your right with everything else i reckon

I'm nowhere near as sure as you seem, mate. If my wife and child had flown to the other side of the world because she was so unhappy, I'd feel highly motivated to change jobs in order to get my family back together again. As for Xabi, that has been a worrying situation for a while and it's one that still hasn't gone away in my view. Of the two, I'd rather lose The Chief, but I think it's far from unlikely that we could lose both.

The real voice of reason but there agian you are a family man living in the real world

In all fairness I doubt she wanted to get homesick. If I'm out of Liverpool for more than a few days I start missing it, so I fully understand where she is coming from. Plus they have a kid, and they may well want to bring him/her up in a Spanish speaking country. I just hope people don't start questioning Mascherano's commitment to Liverpool FC, as he gives absolutely everything for us on the pitch.
Just because he gives "absolutely everything for us on the pitch" doesn't mean we should think he's committed to the club. He may well be a good professional footballer but that's not the same as commitment to the club. Take the Lady Boy at UTD for example. DID he not give his all for the club when he was out playing ? some would even say without him we'd have been champions, yet as soon as a better offer came in he didn't think twice about UTD.

What I'm trying to say is there's a difference between being committed to your job and your employer. How many people like their current jobs, go to work to and work to the best of their ability ? Yet if they got the offer of the same job but with slightly better circumstances, Climate, less traveling, working environment, wouldn't be tempted to take it. That's without even mentioning Money. Some people think just because Masch scored a goal and ran round the pitch screaming "fuck off", that he was here for life. Lets not forget we once had to go without his services because he was playing for his country. Is this being "totally committed to Liverpool FC" ?

People seem to have a problem with The Chief's missus hating Liverpool or being Home sick. If his missus really is the reason for his unrest then I'd be certain one of the reasons she's unhappy is the Climate/weather. Its one of the reasons the Mancs think the Lady boy cant wait to get out.

I'll go a step further. Its always a convenient excuse when a player wants out. "The wife/girlfriend isn't happy here. Could this just be the start of what a lot of people feared. The club selling its best players to balance the books ?

Let not forget why the player has become unsettled.

Even if we keep both Mascherano and Alonso this summer, I think it would be prudent to sign a young midfielder if we can afford to do so; who we can groom as a potential long-term replacement should either player move on.

Step forward Lucas Leiva:whistle:

IF (& it is a big if due to the source) this story is true, then there is very little we can do.

His family must come 1st & the culture shock in Madrid is likely to be far less due to the obvious cultural & links to SAmerica.

Xabi just wants more cash & is using a perfectly legitimate negotiating tactic to get it

I would have prefered to keep the Chief but that looks impossible.

His sale increases the need to keep Xabi & also will provide us with the cash to do so- his agent will be happy!

Mascherano and his wife should remember he'd be languishing in West Ham if it wasnt for us rescuing and returning him to the player we knew he was.

Bottom line is if anyone wants out, for whatever reason, let them go.

Its Eto'o and Toure if they want El Jefe. Play hard ball...for once.

Family first. Anyone saying otherwise is either very odd, or, more probably, a kid.

Yes, I think his wife could bear it for a few more years, but if she has stated that she's not coming back, then Masch should probably leave. His head would be so fucked up that he'd probably shite anyway.

I'm nowhere near as sure as you seem, mate. If my wife and child had flown to the other side of the world because she was so unhappy, I'd feel highly motivated to change jobs in order to get my family back together again.

Oh for fucks sake.

Everybody, its simple.

If his wife moving back was due to her demanding he play for a spanish club (BULLSHIT) then he wouldnt have come out 2 weeks ago telling us he was staying. His wife went away 2 fucking months ago and noises are only appearing now.

This shit happens all the fucking time in football. Masch may not be here with us for the next few years (which is sad in itself) but he will definately not be sold this year, at no means.

They are not inseparable teenagers - how many dads do you know who work away? a fuck load.

Moreso, nobody is going to match our valuation. 50m+, do you think Rafa was jesting? Thats how much he is worth to us, so they can fuck off otherwise.

Mascherano and his wife should remember he'd be languishing in West Ham if it wasnt for us rescuing and returning him to the player we knew he was.

Bottom line is if anyone wants out, for whatever reason, let them go.

Its Eto'o and Toure if they want El Jefe. Play hard ball...for once.

Apparently Yaya Toure has turned down a new contract at Barcelona and is believed to be one of the lowest paid players at the club, on a wage of around £45,000-a-week. He would be a good addition if Mascherano did move on, and can play in central midfield or as a central defender.

Family first. Anyone saying otherwise is either very odd, or, more probably, a kid.

Yes, I think his wife could bear it for a few more years, but if she has stated that she's not coming back, then Masch should probably leave. His head would be so fucked up that he'd probably shite anyway.

Im sorry but how do you know that Masch hasn't told his wife to go back to South America whilst their kids are growing up? Maybe its by choice?

Family first, ofcourse, but every family goes through trying times. If it was such a problem, then we would have heard noises when she left 2 months ago.

Rafa is not a complete wanker (unlike some thing), and would never stand in the way of Masch going if he thought it would affect his family. He has his own.

And if it did, Masch would have said something earlier. Moreso, he wouldn't have commited his immediate future to the club.