You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rich - funded by a lottery win and big are two different things.

Man Utd are a big club, Arsenal are a big club.

Chelsea are a rich club propped up by the financial doping Abramovich brought them.

Wasn't that long ago they were struggling to get 20,000 in their falling apart shithole of a ground.

There is a difference.

Aye, Chelsea and especially Man City are manufactured big clubs, they just haven't earned their status as big clubs they bought it. As time goes on and they Hoover up more trophies due to financial doping then naturally their world wide fan base will swell, it's natural I suppose. Disgusting football clubs both though. I hate Manchester City more than any other club, really hate them, Chelsea a close second.

Aye, Chelsea and especially Man City are manufactured big clubs, they just haven't earned their status as big clubs they bought it. As time goes on and they Hoover up more trophies due to financial doping then naturally their world wide fan base will swell, it's natural I suppose. Disgusting football clubs both though. I hate Manchester City more than any other club, really hate them, Chelsea a close second.

None of them come close to Man Utd for me, they are vermin from top to bottom and their support seem to spend more time singing about Liverpool than they do about their most successful manager. The smallest minded big club in the World.

Chelsea have manufactured a rivalry with us, Man City are just boring.

• Upvote 3

I would class city as a bigger club than chelsea personally, I also think they're a 'proper' football club, their fans turned out in force to watch second division matches and a lot of their songs and culture are pretty self depricating even now. cheslea and the mancs are a class apart, they're not like any other football fans in the world for the reasons I mentioned above. 

Guest Super Sub

I would class city as a bigger club than chelsea personally, I also think they're a 'proper' football club, their fans turned out in force to watch second division matches and a lot of their songs and culture are pretty self depricating even now. cheslea and the mancs are a class apart, they're not like any other football fans in the world for the reasons I mentioned above.

I remember when City were first bought by Sheik Manseur the general consensus amongst Liverpool fans was that they didn't begrudge city getting success through a sugar daddy as they had had a really shit time of it compared to their neighbours. We also seemed to find it funny that United were going to be outdone by them so this was also another factor Liverpool fans weren't to bothered by city's billions.

There are a fair few Chelsea fans that find their wealth bitter sweet cause while it has brought them success it has brought along a load of fair weather fans that have switched from Fulham as well as the prawn sandwich brigade that are now calling Stamford bridge home. They are pissed off that these fans bring nothing to the club apart from pricing out genuine fans and they also give the fan base a bad reputation.

• Upvote 1

Chelsea are on the London tourist trail, see shit loads of tourists walking round with bags of Chelsea shite in central London. That's were we are missing a trick, if we opened a shop somewhere round Oxford street I couldn't see how we wouldn't make wedge out of it.

• Upvote 2

It's about as natural as free-market economics.

Chelsea are on the London tourist trail, see shit loads of tourists walking round with bags of Chelsea shite in central London. That's were we are missing a trick, if we opened a shop somewhere round Oxford street I couldn't see how we wouldn't make wedge out of it.

If you are sponsors by one of the big kit makers, you don't really need a shop there. Man Utd had a shitload of stuff in the Nike Town store (since Nike controlled the rights to all their merchandise) and I assume they'll have a significant space in the nearby Adidas store too having switched to the German brand.

Pretty sure Chelsea had a very good away following when they were in the second division.

Excuse the source:

SHIRT SALES 2009/10-2013/14 (CLUB AVERAGE A YEAR) 

1 - Real Madrid 1,580,000

2 - Manchester United 1,490,000

3 - Barcelona 1,190,000

4 - Bayern Munich 945,000

5 - Chelsea 875,000

6 - Arsenal 825,000

7 - Liverpool 805,000

8 - Marseille 385,000

9 - Juventus 375,000

10 - PSG 335,000

11 - Fenerbahce 325,000

12 - Inter Milan 300,000

Source: PR Marketing 

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2738568/Manchester-United-Real-Madrid-continue-replica-shirt-sales-charts-selling-average-1-5m-year.html#ixzz3gdaDddJY 

EDIT: Not bad considering we're complete pish.

Majorly surprised arsenal sell more shirts than us.

I remember when City were first bought by Sheik Manseur the general consensus amongst Liverpool fans was that they didn't begrudge city getting success through a sugar daddy as they had had a really shit time of it compared to their neighbours. We also seemed to find it funny that United were going to be outdone by them so this was also another factor Liverpool fans weren't to bothered by city's billions.

There are a fair few Chelsea fans that find their wealth bitter sweet cause while it has brought them success it has brought along a load of fair weather fans that have switched from Fulham as well as the prawn sandwich brigade that are now calling Stamford bridge home. They are pissed off that these fans bring nothing to the club apart from pricing out genuine fans and they also give the fan base a bad reputation.

An unfounded fear on their part, IMO. A few years of getting used to the Chelsea Way and these glory-hunting professionals will be throwing Nazi salutes and kicking black men off trains with the best of them.

• Upvote 1

Majorly surprised arsenal sell more shirts than us.

Those figures are average sales from 2009/10 to 2013/14. Arsenal hadn't yet changed to Puma and were still with Nike. We were with Adidas for the first 3 years of that 5-year period and are the only side to have changed suppliers in that period, having switched to a fledgling brand with far less global reach than the established brands. We've had some dreadful kits in that time, as well as missing the high profile that comes from being in the Champions League. We've earned good revenues in spite of our mediocrity and I guess it's why much of our support gets irritated because by taking a calculated risk and going for proven class on and off the pitch, we'd be well within the elite group.

• Upvote 1

That table was from 2013/14 - their last season with Nike.

[edit - Pipped by Trumo]

Pipped? By 8 hours?

It's like Carl Lewis taking on Stephen Hawking at a 200 meter dash.

People who buy Football shirts are all mental anyway, you could get a cashmere jumpsuit for the same price and you would be the first person to ever wear a cashmere jumpsuit.

• Upvote 3

Pipped? By 8 hours?

It's like Carl Lewis taking on Stephen Hawking at a 200 meter dash.

People who buy Football shirts are all mental anyway, you could get a cashmere jumpsuit for the same price and you would be the first person to ever wear a cashmere jumpsuit.

You could get away with it Mook, you stylish fucker.

• Upvote 1

Those cheating other clubs!  Only Chelsea is allowed to buy a title!  TBF he does say they bought the title first.

Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho says that the contenders for the Premier League title are trying to buy silverware.

The current Premier League champions brought in Asmir Begovic and Falcao this summer for minimal fees and have not spent more than £30 million on one player since signing Fernando Torres from Liverpool back in 2011.

The Blues have still spent significant cash on the likes of Diego Costa, Cesc Fabregas, Eden Hazard and Nemanja Matic in recent years, but Mourinho claims that others are now trying to mirror the kind of spending that he enjoyed when he first took over the club in 2004 and lavished over £150m on players like Didier Drogba, Shaun Wright-Phillips, Arjen Robben and Petr Cech.

"In the beginning of Mr Abramovich coming to Chelsea, Chelsea was buying the title," Mourinho said after the friendly win over PSG on Saturday. "Now, they are buying the title. All of them, they are buying the title.

"It is up to us to be strong and to fight them and, obviously, to try and win it again, even without the big investments."

Manchester City spent £49m alone on bringing in Raheem Sterling this summer, while Manchester United and Liverpool have also spent large amounts of money on improving their squads ahead of the new season.

http://www.espnfc.co.uk/barclays-premier-league/story/2536879/chelsea-jose-mourinho-premier-league-rivals-buying-the-title