You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Gerrards Disallowed Goal

lfc123

Radhi Jaidi was at least 10 yards offside when Birmingham scored a free-kick against us and the goal was given because he didn't touch the ball and wasn't intefering with play (despite standing right in front of the keeper). Applying that logic, I can't see anything wrong the free-kick yesterday. It wouldn't surprise me if even referees struggled with the offside rule.

As 23 Carra Gold said though, we did have 88 mins to score another goal though.

The thing which pisses me off most, is the fact that the linesman could absolutely not have clearly seen and been sure Torres was offside. So basically he took a guess. Is it acceptable having refs guessing in crucial situations like that ?

IMO no, and the sad thing is, had that goal stood we'd have gone on and hammered them.

Torres was not offside. He might have been in an offside position but to be in an offiside position is not an offence.

Law 11 - Offside

Offside Position

It is not an offence in itself to be in an offside position.

A player is in an offside position if:

* he is nearer to his opponents’ goal line than both the ball and the second last opponent

* A player is not in an offside position if:

* he is in his own half of the fi eld of play or

* he is level with the second last opponent or

* he is level with the last two opponents

Offence

A player in an offside position is only penalised if, at the moment the ball touches or is played by one of his team, he is, in the opinion of the referee, involved in active play by:

* interfering with play or

* interfering with an opponent or

* gaining an advantage by being in that position

No Offence

There is no offside offence if a player receives the ball directly from:

* a goal kick or

* a throw-in or

* a corner kick

Infringements/Sanctions

For any offside offence, the referee awards an indirect free kick to the opposing team to be taken from the place where the infringement occurred.

Decisions of the International F.A. Board

Decision 1

In the definition of offside position, "nearer to his opponents’ goal line" means that any part of his head, body or feet is nearer to his opponents’ goal line than both the ball and the second last opponent. The arms are not included in this definition.

Decision 2

The definitions of elements of involvement in active play are as follows:

Interfering with play means playing or touching the ball passed or touched by a team-mate.

Interfering with an opponent means preventing an opponent from playing or being able to play the ball by clearly obstructing the opponent’s line of vision or movements or making a gesture or movement which, in the opinion of the referee, deceives or distracts an opponent.

Gaining an advantage by being in that position means playing a ball that rebounds to him off a post or the crossbar having been in an offside position or playing a ball that rebounds to him off an opponent having been in an offside position.

TheFA.com - Law 11 - Offside

What's that website that has a league (for losers) that works out what the result would have been if the correct decision had been given?

Well we're probably top now.

vlcsnap-20845.png

Torres is in front of the last defender as the ball is kicked which goes on to miss his head by inches and completely fucks up the keeper...cry conspiracy all you like but technically it was the right decision, I would have let it go on the advantage to the attacker interpretation as there is no way the linesman could have been sure.

No excuse. We should have scored during the rest of the game. The rest of the top 4 will get more than 1 point against these throughout the season. We should have won that game regardless of the disallowed goal

You can't know that, and we can potentially take another three points from them as we play them again.

I thought it was an indirect free-kick, and since Gerrard's cross went in direct from it, it was thus disallowed. I haven't seen any analysis though, since I've mostly been concentrating on the Ryder Cup after our bad day at the office yesterday.

If the free-kick was indirect, the ref would have had his arm raised to signify this. In this case he didn't.

So, with Gerrard's goal being disallowed, how is Chopra's second for Sunderland yesterday explained?

I know I was bevied yesterday but I honestly thought we were one nil up until five mins before the end of the game and I looked at the scoreboard. Infact during my celebrations of the first goal, I looked up to see the scoreboard and it changed to 1-0. I then went off to the toilet and returned to my seat and had no idea it was disallowed. :wallbutt:

Wasnt until 5 mins before the game I looked at the and saw the scoreboard it then dawned on me. Never in all my years going to the match has that ever happened to me.:wow:

I know I was bevied yesterday but I honestly thought we were one nil up until five mins before the end of the game and I looked at the scoreboard. Infact during my celebrations of the first goal, I looked up to see the scoreboard and it changed to 1-0. I then went off to the toilet and returned to my seat and had no idea it was disallowed. :wallbutt:

Wasnt until 5 mins before the game I looked at the and saw the scoreboard it then dawned on me. Never in all my years going to the match has that ever happened to me.:wow:

I had a similar experience when we played Reading the other season. We went up 1-0 and then I thought it was that until a few minutes before stoppage time when Dirk made it 2-1. At least I didn't have to bite those poor nails of mine.