You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 629
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Knew this would happen - soon as I leave the UK to live someplace else, we beat those cock suckers hands fucking down. They can whine about not performing but the truth is that we played them off the park in that 2nd half. Not seen us dominiate them lilke that for far too long. It seemed like we were first to every ball, anticipated the play better, and, god help us, were much more creative with the ball.

All that without two key players - although not without our best player, as, for me, Mascherano is and has been our best player for a while now - he must have covered 30 miles out there this afternoon. Not surprised he pulled up with cramp towards the end.

Amazing that we can go from the awful, tepid performances of recent weeks to this. At least we've been grinding out results up to now though, which is the main thing. The good football was always going to come a bit later. The sooner we get our first 11 fit and playing together the sooner we'll hit top gear and the easier things will be for us.

On a serious note, well fucking played lads. Mentally they have the edge over us due to the recent record between the teams.

Then we start the game without our two best players.

And THEN, we go a goal behind in the opening minutes.

I bet like me, a lot of us thought we were in for a hiding.

However, we showed tremendous character and self belief, we played the best team in the country off the park. From the back to the front, we were organised, worked hard, effective. We fought more to get the ball back, we looked dangerous, especially down the left, I thought Riera was superb, really made up for him, he gave us something today that we have lacked for a good few seasons.

The poorest player for me was Yossi, but even then he wasnt that bad, but fair play to Rafa for making positive changes in bringing on Stevie and Ryan.

Riera gets my MoM because it was refreshing to see one of our wingers giving a defender a real tough time.

Im a very very happy man today.

Absolutely brilliant 2nd half. Totally dominated the Mancs and were worthy winners today. Didn`t look at all likely after the first ten minutes when to be fair the Mancs looked a class above us.Hopefully the major good fortune of the first goal will be the catalyst for greater things this season as it certainly was today. And hopefully with it will be lesson to Benitez to play players in their best positions and to send his team out with a positive up and at `em attitude as opposed to his usual safety first philosophy. To be Champions you have to think like Champions and adopt a superior `We`re better than you` attitude, hopefully today will prove a watershed in our development and give the team and manager alike the belief that we really can make a proper run at the title.

Kuyt has his shortcomings and is never a winger, though it must be said he looked much better today up front. He gave Ferdinand and Vidic a real game. First chance - should have scored, but good save/block. Second chance - should have scored, good save by goalie with trailing leg, but should have put the game away. Big deal though. What's the crime? We should support our players rather than accentuate their shortcomings, especially after a great win like today.

Had we got beat then it would be understandable to dwell on Kuyt's misses. But WE WON! If we can't dwell on the positives in light of that, then it is a real shame.

What about Stevie? Rubbish touch, let Giggs in for long range effort! What about Aurelio? Call that a free kick! What about Reina? Didn't catch a deep cross then chased it out of the peno area. Looked a bit dodgy. What about Carra? Should never have let that cross in! What about Mascherano? Dawdling while Tevez burst past him for the opener! What about Keane? More fresh air shots today!

It's easy to get stuck in to our players...but it feels wrong on today of all days.

I think the Mancs were a bit off their game today. We played well, but they made mistakes and players like Scholes were anonymous. Not taking anything away from our victory but we got them on a good day. That's the way it goes.

It's a real shame Kuyt didn't get on the score sheet because he should have, but then again Keane fluffed a couple and needs to improve. It'll come, the pressure is off a bit now and Keane is working really hard so he'll get his rewards real soon.

shhh Brownie will get you, apparently you're not allowed to compare the 2.

shhh Brownie will get you, apparently you're not allowed to compare the 2.

I was being a bit juvenile there but it's fair to compare them in my opinion, they're both forwards after all. I definitely think Keane will get better and Kuyt has been playing at the same level for a while now I reckon, he definitely brings something to the table despite what his critics say.

Man United were poor today by their standards but i think that has to go down to the way the players responded to going 0-1 down and Ferguson getting his tactics wrong.

Both Tevez and Rooney are top players but both of them were stuck out on the wings today yet they had two wingers in Giggs and Nani who would have given them natural width.

Its too easy to blame the result on catching Man United on an off day because the fact of the matter is we out played them and more importantly for me we out fought them.

All over the pitch we wanted the ball more and players such as Anderson, Scholes and Carrick who Ferguson would have presumed would gaffer the midfield were out fought by Mascherano and Alonso with either Kuyt or Keane dropping back to help out.

Upfront we witnessed today what Berbatov is all about and that is sublime control of the ball and an aerial threat but as regards putting a shift in and helping the team out you have no chance.

I thought both full backs played well today against two class players in Rooney and Tevez and especially in Aurellio's case he tried getting forward as much as possible.

Although he didnt score i though Keane was superb and i very much doubt Ferdinand and Vidic will have a tougher game all season then trying to play against Keane and Kuyt and im pretty certain Keane will start hitting the net soon.

Main plus points today for me:

Masch - Shite on their goal but otherwise immaculate. Legend.

Riera - Very good debut. May be slow but he still tries to take players on and has a trick or two. Some lovely flicks and showed real confidence in a game where he could easily have stayed in his shell.

Dirk - When we we're 1-0 down i was shitting myself and he made me believe. Just kept harrying al game and was fantastic. Should have scored but wonderful as ever in the big games.

Also, Robbie Keane was very good. Confidence in front of goal isn't there yet but some good link up play (one great chipped ball into Dirk's head which Yossi nearly got on the end of) and worked his plumbs off.

Get in there !

What a performance from the lads second half. That's the high tempo, sound passing game we needed to play, and it paid off.

There was a manc doing a sweep in the pub I was in for the match. I won.

Paid for a chicken curry and four beers !

I'm off back out now for more beer.

Drink well tonight fellow reds.

Stodgy to begin with then we woke up and Mascherano got a grip on the game. Brilliant second half with Alonso having more space and being able to dominate. Riera's little flicks and mazy runs were far more than I expected and after looking lost for the first half hour, he got stuck in and performed extremely well. Keane is still trying too hard but I thought he had a game, Kuyt did well and should have scored at least one. Carra was immense at the back and Aurelio did well as did Arbeloa.

For the first time in a long while, we looked more hungry than them.